Used 2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV Consumer Reviews - 114 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

To good to be true...
By Danyelle

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used for a steal of a deal....after owning it 2 days I found out why...transfer case was bad (common problem and expensive to rebuild) front end needed work, my truck spits plugs and coils outlike they are sunflower seeds I can't even drive my vehicle around town with out breaking down and having to be towed on a flat bed back home. My truck has gone through 3 transmissions in 14 years and 3 transfer cases and now it needs a head gasket. Unless you are insanely rich or a mechanic DO NOT but this vehicle, yes its a very beautiful and sharp looking truck but that's the only thing it has going for itself because when ford made this engine they were only thinking of $$$$ not their customers which is [non-permissible content removed] I will NEVER buy another ford for as long as I live!!!

Longest Lasting SUV in this family
By amkrug2

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My father bought this car in '03 with just over 30k miles on it. Being a repo, there were a couple small problems that the dealership happily fixed, such as a new steering wheel (Lady who owned before broke all the buttons) and one seat replaced. We modified the intake by putting an aftermarket spectre cold air intake on it, but besides that is totally stock. This car lasted like that for 160k miles. The transmission was starting to slip and the front hubs needed attention. We went ahead and replaced them. Now, mind you, nothing ever broke, we just went ahead and replaced before they did. 62k miles later, it broke down for the first time and was just the pump. She is still going strong!

Reliable engine and also comfortable interior ( We had all leather and power options). The cruise control has never broken and works well. We still get almost 23 mpg on the highway and 17-18 in the city. The acceleration is perfect, can easily go 0-60 in 6 or 7 seconds without any issues. Also, with no governor this SUV can, and has been taken to speeds exceeding 120mph ( Yes, we tested the top speed once on a track for the heck of it and it topped out at 122). Not only was it firm at high speeds, but is still maneuverable at well over 90.

The A/C, although reliable, has mainly plastic gears in the inside of the vehicle that when broken make the most annoying sound. The automatic transmission put in these arent the most reliable transmissions ever, probably one the biggest downfalls. I have heard of them lasting over the average of 150k miles, mine did as well. But, many didnt.

This car saved my life
By anned1993

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car in 2002, my mother drove it for about 5-6 years and then she gave it to me (19 year old daughter) when I became old enough to drive. Shared it with my siblings on and off for two years. drove it everywhere, had about 110000 miles on it.
Boyfriend was driving the car after a long day of hiking, I was in the passenger seat. He dosed off and swerved across the lane hit a fire hydrant that tore off the wheel and then hit a pole that sent us upside down. Airbags deployed on impact and we were wearing our seatbelts. We both walked away from the accident with 2 stitches each.

If & when accidents do happen, you want a car that will keep you safe. I thank god for this car.

runs long, dies HARD
By drivenitall80

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It was a pretty good truck. bought it for my girl when her taurus died, had around 80,000 when we got it, we drove it hard, off roading, 90 down the highway, it lived through everything, we got an 08' explorer xlt to replace it cause it had 254000 and was falling apart BIG TIME. i dont know what was worse, the engine ticking, whining aslound as it could, leaking different fliuds, stalling, not starting. it totally startedto fall apart, wegave it to my daughter when she got her license, she drove it for about 2 weeks and the engine took a s****.

loved the design, interior, exterior, lovedit all

engine strength

2002, 4.6L V8 AWD model
By av8r1x

2002 Mercury Mountaineer SUV AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

217,000 + miles and still going strong! original engine, original transmission.
However, I get regular oil changes, change the air filter regularly, clean the engine once in a while, etc...my only complaints are 1) the engineers who designed this vehicle did not put a governor on the accelerator, and sometimes when you take your foot off and coast, the gears shift down with a "thunk," instead of gradually, but this doesn't do any harm to the tranny, and 2) i had problems early-on with the vent system in the rear (3rd row seats). it makes a clicking noise sometimes, like the fan motor isn't working.

I especially like the quality leather interior, and the large center console/cup holder thing. I also like that the rear seats move independently, so you can put two seats down and still have a child ride in the back, etc. The underneath spare is a bit of a hassle, but the interior is square, no wheel bumps, so big flat objects the size of a twin bed can slide right in. Sound system is pretty decent for stock, and there are extra "buttons" that I've used for a GPS installation. Foot pedals are adjustable, which is ideal for a pregnant mom. Tow bar is built in, and you can pretty much tow your weight with the V8 model. I am the original owner and will keep this car until it dies!

1) install a shift governor for the transmission (get rid of that "thunk" when it downshifts); 2) make the airbag have an on/off switch so young riders can sit in the front if we are hauling large cargo; 3) improve the roof rack (its wimpy and small); 4) that plastic grill has to go! the silverish paint is fading and it looks bad now 5) the silverish paint on the stereo system is also fading or wearing off...better quality paint next time!