2002 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
This car saved my life
By anned1993 on 06/10/13 15:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car in 2002, my mother drove it for about 5-6 years and then she gave it to me (19 year old daughter) when I became old enough to drive. Shared it with my siblings on and off for two years. drove it everywhere, had about 110000 miles on it. Boyfriend was driving the car after a long day of hiking, I was in the passenger seat. He dosed off and swerved across the lane hit a fire hydrant that tore off the wheel and then hit a pole that sent us upside down. Airbags deployed on impact and we were wearing our seatbelts. We both walked away from the accident with 2 stitches each. If & when accidents do happen, you want a car that will keep you safe. I thank god for this car.

runs long, dies HARD
By drivenitall80 on 05/30/13 08:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It was a pretty good truck. bought it for my girl when her taurus died, had around 80,000 when we got it, we drove it hard, off roading, 90 down the highway, it lived through everything, we got an 08' explorer xlt to replace it cause it had 254000 and was falling apart BIG TIME. i dont know what was worse, the engine ticking, whining aslound as it could, leaking different fliuds, stalling, not starting. it totally startedto fall apart, wegave it to my daughter when she got her license, she drove it for about 2 weeks and the engine took a s****.

2002, 4.6L V8 AWD model
By av8r1x on 07/09/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

217,000 + miles and still going strong! original engine, original transmission. However, I get regular oil changes, change the air filter regularly, clean the engine once in a while, etc...my only complaints are 1) the engineers who designed this vehicle did not put a governor on the accelerator, and sometimes when you take your foot off and coast, the gears shift down with a "thunk," instead of gradually, but this doesn't do any harm to the tranny, and 2) i had problems early-on with the vent system in the rear (3rd row seats). it makes a clicking noise sometimes, like the fan motor isn't working.

First car
By tylermex on 06/22/11 21:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first car that i have shared with my brother. it was very easy to drive and pretty fast. it takes a second to kick into gear but its fast and handles good. my only main complaints are these: it is very shaky on the highway, the altinator dies pretty quickly (with car aftermarket audio), and my engine has made squeeky and clicking sounds everynow and then which were minor fixes. i am happy to leave this car for a new one only because of the 10mpg city and 17 highway, its rediculous

2002 Mercury Mountaineer, 4.6L V8, 5-A, AWD.
By car_enthusiast on 03/20/11 20:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow, after reading so many terrible reviews about this suv, I must say I am a very fortunate owner then. (3rd owner to precise). My 4.6 has well over 120,000 miles on it and I never had any transmission problems. (Yes, never). The tranny shifts fast and has good gear ratios which enable this suv to have really quick acceleration. And all of the people that say this car has a terrible fuel economy probably drive too aggresively. We took this car out for a very long highway trip and we averaged over 20mpg during the trip and our car had 4-5 people inside, full trunk of heavy bags, and our avg. speed was over 70mph. Mixed Mpg with mostly city driving ranges from low to high teens.

02 MERCURY MOUNTAINEER
By drewny on 03/19/11 22:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

AVOID THIS VEHICLE... I BOUGHT THIS VEHICLE WITH 137,000 MILES ON IT. I PUT IN NEW BATTERY NEW HUBS , NEW WHEEL BEARINGS ,HAD TO REPLACE ENTIRE CRUSE CONTROL SYSTEM AND AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM, AFTER PUTTING 4 NEW TIRES ON IT , ALTENATOR GOES AND I NEED A 2ND NEW BATTERY. WHILE DRIVE N DOWN ROAD DOOR AJAR LIGHT WOULD COME ON AND INTERIOR LIGHT WOULD FLICKER ON AND OFF DOOR AJAR LIGHT WOULD BEEP OVER AND OVER.. THE FRONT WHEEL BEARING I HAD REPLACED 4 MONTHS EARLIER STARTED TO GO AND THEN ONE WEEK AFTER GETTING TIRES THE TRANSMISSION WENT.. RUN FAR FROM THIS VEHICLE DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY LIKE I DID.. JUNK

Sweet & Sour
By LMO on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle new and maintained it. At 38,000 miles the transmission needed to be replaced. Unacceptable. After threatening to protest at the dealer, they discounted the cost. 50,000 miles later, that one went too. Ford couldn't care less. This in my opinion is not normal. Even the dealer service agreed and they were equally frustrated with Ford HQ. I really had no other complaints besides the disappointing gas mileage however, like I've read in other reviews, I've lost my faith with American cars especially Ford. I'm afraid to chance it. With 130,000 miles being on the 3rd tranny, it's time to start looking.While I still can't really find anything I like as much, I'll skip Ford.

Best Vehicle Owned
By Mike on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle new. It is the first SUV ever owned and a great performer for pulling a boat, carrying a load, and overall road car. Highway average mileage is 20 mpg with nominal load and no boat. Town driving not as good averaging about 16 mpg. Regular maintenance per owners manual has kept this vehicle extremely reliable, it has not let me down yet.

Saying goodbye to a friend
By Rob on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This SUV has been a great ride. At 140,000 miles it needed a transmission and transfer case - think my son learning to drive had something to do with that. Now at 220,000 miles, it's time to replace it. We really don't know what to but next. We prefer Mercurys, but Ford is ending that. Mariner? Too small. Ford Edge? Pricey. Maybe we won't sell the Mountaineer!

Love My Mountaineer
By Sue on 07/08/10 11:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my Mountaineer in 2005 with approximately 25,000 miles on it. I recently took it to the dealership and had a new hose put on it. It is and has been the most comfortable and reliable car that I have ever owned. I love it.