2000 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews

2000 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Love My 1st Car
By chrishoops27 on 08/11/13 09:41 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I just graduated high school and this is my 1st car. I got it from my grandpa who treated it very well and is in great condition. It drives well, and the V8 is very powerful indeed. Granted, it does suck down a lot of gas in the city though hwy mileage is good. Ride is pretty good, though on bumps it doesn't really take them well compared to a sedan would. Excellent build quality, and everything; engine, transmission, electronics, they're all perfectly fine I'm keeping it until it dies that's for sure

Car has 147,000 miles and it drives like new
By jwdia on 08/26/11 09:48 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Pros: *At 147K miles engine and tranny sounds, and performs like brand new. *They were not kidding about the V8 Power. * Body well built and solid. Quality steel - no rust yet. * AWD really grips the roads ( Iowa winters..no problem here) Cons: *Factory radio works but no display - common issue. * rear wiper does not work - again common issue. *Keyless entry quit working, and door locks need some TLC. * some road noise. ( can't tell yet if it is in need of a muffler or just the roar of the 5.0) * no rust yet but a little pain bubbling on the bottom inside of the rear doors. not noticable to the public

Sad to see it go
By Jolin on 04/19/10 17:30 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my SUV for over 5 years now and it's the best thing I've ever owned. Never once left me stranded & only had to fix normal things like tires, battery, brakes, & spark plugs. Would love to keep it but the family is too big and we need a 3rd row now. If I could buy new I would just order one that way. I think I will cry when I trade in this week. Currently at 92,000 miles and still going strong. Back wiper never quite worked right & light bulb issue on the dash but the stuff that really mattered and would cost a lot to fix stayed strong. Hope to own another one some day.

2000 Monterey Wedgewood Blue & Gold
By DRJ on 04/14/10 12:25 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased used 8 years ago w/49,000 miles on it. Now have 118,000 miles and only significant problems have been the transmission (torque converter) rebuild at 87,000, and as with many others, radio display went out - had repaired and then all button functions stopped working (original radio a real piece of junk!). Replaced radio with newer OEM Ford radio w/6 cd changer from OEM Car Audio (on Ebay). Other than new tires , battery, brakes, shocks,serpentine belt, plugs and 13.7 avg mpg (mostly city), a pleasure to own and drive. Also a couple of minor factory recalls, big deal. At 118K miles, I've got a lot more to go! Body in excellent shape even after subjected to Minnesota winters & salt.

One of many fans of this car
By ajs on 11/17/09 07:49 AM (PST)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I learned from the dealer the 1999 to 2001 were the best built in this series and they have a strong following. I have found that out by talking to other owners. The Mountaineer is the top of the line. The V-8 engine is strong, transmission strong, solid body, has a truck feel (it is a Ranger w/ SUV body). With Zaino polish the paint shines great and people are amaised it is 10 years old. This car is a solid performer, a great winter car. If I keep the rpm's under 2,000 on the interstate, I'll get 20.5 to 21.5 mpg. For good gas mileage drive with a soft foot on the accelerator. Fine a good one and keep it.

Wonderful!
By Oki on 05/15/08 15:53 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

This was my first Ford-based anything, and this has been nothing short of amazing! It came with the 5.0 and AWD, and was completely loaded! It even got me through a nasty blizzard here in Colorado and through 2 feet of snow and never got stuck! Even with temps as low as -15, the truck started up with no problems

130,000 miles and still going strong
By Stephanie on 05/14/08 09:16 AM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my Mountaineer three years ago. It now has 130,000 miles on it! I have not had any problems at all. I love the options this vehicle has at the affordable price. After driving a Chevy previously, I was a little apprehensive about buying a Ford. I found it to be just as reliable, if not more than my Chevy. Sadly, I am trading it in due to the gas mileage. I wish I did not have to commute 30 miles one way to work, or I would keep this precious gem. I would advise anyone to buy a Mountaineer!

Realistic Review
By Realistic Reviewer on 12/13/07 17:58 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Vehicle handling is excellent considering this is a SUV on a truck chassis. I drive this vehicle lighting most of the time and it gives me a very acceptable ride. When thrown around a bit it does show that the suspension does not quite adapt well enough and does bounce around slightly too much. Off roading ability is great, but nothing too impressive. Can easily get around 14mpg city with smooth driving, around 12mpg letting it loose sometimes. Overall this is a very satisfying vehicle to all but the most discerning people.

Ford can't do any better
By TBone on 08/12/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Whoever designed my Mountaineer should receive a Nobel prize. I bought it with 48K in 2003, and it now has 96K and the only trouble I've had is a dead battery. The radio display went out, and I dealt with it a while, but had it fixed for a high price. It drives just the way it did when I bought it almost four years ago. I've noticed my power locks acting up, but they aren't causing any bad problems. Highway fuel economy is okay, but city is ugly.

Great vehicle
By Shirley Ryan on 11/11/05 15:24 PM (PST)

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I just purchased this one new. I have purchased other vehicles but none really compare to the Mercurys that I have purchased in quality and comfort for the price. To get any better vehicle you will have to spend more money for certain. I don't think you can get comparable quality for the money.

1 2 3 4 5 next »