Used 2000 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Most Helpful|
Great vehicle
By Shirley Ryan

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I just purchased this one new. I have purchased other vehicles but none really compare to the Mercurys that I have purchased in quality and comfort for the price. To get any better vehicle you will have to spend more money for certain. I don't think you can get comparable quality for the money.

Favorite Features

The way the vehicle handles. It handles more like a car than a truck. I can't say enough good things about this vehicle. I am a less aggressive driver in this vehicle becaue rather than letting slow traffic frustrate me I just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvements I can suggest is to develop more hidden storage in the vehicle for the soccer moms that have to have a lot of things handy for the children. and to handle groceries when you have a car full of people.

Love My 1st Car
By chrishoops27

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I just graduated high school and this is my 1st car. I got it from my grandpa who treated it very well and is in great condition. It drives well, and the V8 is very powerful indeed. Granted, it does suck down a lot of gas in the city though hwy mileage is good. Ride is pretty good, though on bumps it doesn't really take them well compared to a sedan would. Excellent build quality, and everything; engine, transmission, electronics, they're all perfectly fine I'm keeping it until it dies that's for sure

Favorite Features

Build quality, engine

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage

Car has 147,000 miles and it drives like new
By jwdia

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Pros: *At 147K miles engine and tranny sounds, and performs like brand new. *They were not kidding about the V8 Power. * Body well built and solid. Quality steel - no rust yet. * AWD really grips the roads ( Iowa winters..no problem here) Cons: *Factory radio works but no display - common issue. * rear wiper does not work - again common issue. *Keyless entry quit working, and door locks need some TLC. * some road noise. ( can't tell yet if it is in need of a muffler or just the roar of the 5.0) * no rust yet but a little pain bubbling on the bottom inside of the rear doors. not noticable to the public

Favorite Features

Strong motor. Power Moon roof a plus. large and comfortable interior. Plenty of room for me and my two kids in car seats. Am predicting that i will get another 100K miles out of this car easily.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is very...VERY poor if you let your car idle for more then a few minutes in the city. Also if you drive with a soft foot and keep the RPM's between 1500 and under 2000 you can really improve the MPGs.

2000 Monterey Wedgewood Blue & Gold
By DRJ

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased used 8 years ago w/49,000 miles on it. Now have 118,000 miles and only significant problems have been the transmission (torque converter) rebuild at 87,000, and as with many others, radio display went out - had repaired and then all button functions stopped working (original radio a real piece of junk!). Replaced radio with newer OEM Ford radio w/6 cd changer from OEM Car Audio (on Ebay). Other than new tires , battery, brakes, shocks,serpentine belt, plugs and 13.7 avg mpg (mostly city), a pleasure to own and drive. Also a couple of minor factory recalls, big deal. At 118K miles, I've got a lot more to go! Body in excellent shape even after subjected to Minnesota winters & salt.

Favorite Features

Love that 5L V8 sound and acceleration when needed. Control buttons on the steering wheel a plus. Parts are cheap as many Mountaineers, Explorers and Rangers produced.

Suggested Improvements

This is a 10 year old vehicle!

One of many fans of this car
By ajs

2000 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I learned from the dealer the 1999 to 2001 were the best built in this series and they have a strong following. I have found that out by talking to other owners. The Mountaineer is the top of the line. The V-8 engine is strong, transmission strong, solid body, has a truck feel (it is a Ranger w/ SUV body). With Zaino polish the paint shines great and people are amaised it is 10 years old. This car is a solid performer, a great winter car. If I keep the rpm's under 2,000 on the interstate, I'll get 20.5 to 21.5 mpg. For good gas mileage drive with a soft foot on the accelerator. Fine a good one and keep it.

Favorite Features

interior space solid car attractive exterior

Suggested Improvements

at 10 years of age, getting improvements is unlikely.