1999 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Bad or Great
By parker002 on 11/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I loved this Ute. in the beginning, but one problem has lead to another. First there was electrical with the Radio. Then they replaced it and we lost all signal hhhmmmmmmmmmm. We put the old one back in, and now I have memorized the functions since I can't see them anymore. The turn signal is now broken, and I think there is a knock in the Transmision. We are currently trying to sell this PO_ and buy a car. We spent 19,000 on this car and a year later we will be lucky to get 14,000 even more pathetic.

This SUV has treated me right
By th on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Overall I've had a great experience with this vehicle. Love the versatility - have hauled all sorts of things home with it - furniture, bags and bags of mulch, mountains of groceries - you name it. The front seats are very comfortable, the leather has worn well, don't know about the back seats since I've never sat in them but haven't had any complaints. Had a few minor problems covered under warranty - I have a great dealer so they are always taken care of quickly, plus a couple of recall items - the windshield wiper problem and the radio.

This SUV has treated me right
By TH on 10/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Great SUV
By dimes_for_slim on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

This has ben a bullet proof, reliable vehicle on all accounts. Perfect compromise of size, space, and fuel efficiency. Other than the Firestone tire debacle, the only service this vehicle has required was oil and filter changes.

Car caught fire
By flaming on 08/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV 4WD

The vehicle was great to drive, very reliable. The problems started occuring about 45,000. The windshield wipers came on sporatically. Later there was a recall for this problem. After a few months of driving the LCD radio light went out as well as the horn. Before I had a chance to get this fix less than a week later the car caught fire while sitting in the parking lot overnight. Determined to be an eletrical fire. Buyer beware, I beleive sometime in the near future there may be another recall on these models and year.

1999 Mercury Mountaineer
By Sammiam on 08/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Have had this car for about 4 yrs. Haven't had any problems until the past month or so. Everything electrical is acting up. Current probs: front/back sprayer, back wipers, brights, back left blinker, back right brake light, left rear window all do not work. This seems odd that all of these probs would happen at once on a car that's not that old. Anyone else have these sort of problems?

99 Mountaineer
By jas2 on 05/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Overall excellent vehicle. I experienced a minor irritant with the top interior front door moldings. The passenger side clip broke a couple years ago, and I periodically have to re-secure it. The privacy screen objected when my dachshund climbed on it when it was deployed--but who would expect it not to? My husband got it to work again, but the retractor spring is weak.

VERY GOOD SUV
By ART DEJESS on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV 4WD

I PURCHASED THIS SUV NEW AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. I HAVE THE V6 ENGINE. I LOADED IT WITH ALL OF THE OPTIONS. THE ONLY OPTION THAT I DID NOT WANT WAS THE LEATHER SEATS. THEY ARE COLD IN THE WINTER, AND HOT IN THE SUMMER. THE CLOTH SEATS ALSO HELP TO CUT DOWN ON THE NOISE INSIDE THE SUV. THE AC AND HEATER ARE GREAT. THE RADIO IS THE BEST THAT I HAVE EVERY HAD. I ORDERED IT WITH THE TOW PACKAGE, SO WITH THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE ON I HAVE REAL 4 WHEEL DRIVE. (TOW PACKAGE GIVES YOU BOTH REAR WHEELS WORKING ALL THE TIME, THIS IS A VERY GOOD THING). ON THE OPEN ROAD I GET 23 MPG AND AROUND TOWN 16 MPG. I WOULD BUY ANOTHER.

worth vechicle i ever purchsed
By glenda gray on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

ever since i have had this vechile it has been in and out of the shop.touble rattling in the motor, radio gone out, abs gone out, willnot stay started in the morning when its cold. it is the worse vechicle i've ever purchased. no one in the whole town like the suv. they hate they purchased it. it looks good and have great features but the motor is awful. and thats what really count. i think the worse thing is when you put it in the shop they can't even fix the problem.