1999 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Mountaineer
By robertn78 on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

After looking at Explorers for a couple of weeks, we found that there were way too many options and interior and exterior colors. Finding a V8 with grey interior and good options was impossible. We found the Mountaineer to have all the upgrades we wanted and had more of a luxury feel. The head lights, tail lights, and grill set it apart from the Explorer. The V6 is powerful, but if you tow or just love power (like me), you have to get the 5.0 V8.

Still Works Great
By Mobagman on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

It has been a very reliable vehicle. I have changed tires, brakes, oil..thats it. Who ever buys it needs to change the sparkplugs. One of thoose cars that just wont let you down.

I will buy another one
By baldbuckeye on 01/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

If you want the reliability of an Explorer, but want to drive something a little differant and a little more upgraded, pick a Mountaineer. I have driven it in every kind of weather and it has performed great.

Pretty Standard?
By bill denver on 01/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Good value if you pay only blue book! The certified programs are a racket since you will inevidibly be back in the dealership for something little every other month. Things here and there add up when you are spending $100 deductible every visit. I've already had three recalls on mine...mostly minor. Had rear wiper motor, turn signal switch, exhaust sensor, fan blower motor replaced in first year. Overall, the v8 has great pick up for an SUV and it has lots of power. The styling is nicer than same platform explorer. Still rugged! LOUD,LOUD,LOUD! Interior noise is deafening.Handles roughly, very rigid!But it is an suv, not a mercedes.

99 MOUNTAINEER
By tomc15 on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

GREAT IN RAIN OR SNOW, FEEL VERY SAFE DRIVING IT. GAS MILEAGE IS TERRIBLE. LIKE IT BETTER THAN DRIVING A CAR.

1999 Mountaineer
By zcar690 on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

This has been an outstanding vehicle. I have never bee nmuch of a Ford/Mercury fan but I will be buying another Mountaineer. Unfortunately this vehicle has been in several accidents, but It has saved the lives of my family due to it's sturdy construction. It is a bit of a gas hog but it's safety and reliability have made it worth the additional cost of fuel.

I love this truck
By hhunter on 05/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this Mntr last year and have enjoyed almost every day since. I agree with theother posting about the el;ectrical problems, they seem to happen. I cannot see my radio lights at all. I wish the middle compartment opened from the side instead of straight up, it is annoying. The gas mileage is a bite also. The vehichle drives great and looks awesome. The value has dropped significantly in the last year which is another downside. I would buy it again, but a six not an eight cylinder.

Needs Quality
By Davidio on 05/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Great power and style in this '99. Just bought with 32,000 miles/. Some rattles in center console and glove box area. Working on trying to tighten up a bit. Hard ride-like truck. Heavy duty feel is great. American built cars/SUV's still need quality workmenship-concerned after reading several revues. After so many years of building vehicles, we still cannot master the basics-rattles, electrical problems, etc. should be a thing of the past. Hoping this one is a keeper!

Best Used SUV Value.
By T-Bare on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

The '99 Mountaineer is a great all around SUV. It is great for the Michigan winters and very comfortable to drive. I average 15-17 mpg in the city. I realized an impressive 24 mpg on a 19 hour straight thru trip to Tampa, Fla. I bought the vehicle 3 years old with 35,000 miles on it and truly believe it will outlast my 5 year financing.

Totallt satisfied
By Dr Don on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Had a 95 explorer..excellent sold with 163000 mi never a problem. Bought 99 Merc Mountaineer with 23000 mi, a joy to ride and drive, never any problems, best vehicle EVER had!