1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
crud
By sorbain on 01/26/10 13:39 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

bought our 99 mountaineer about 3yrs ago had nothing but problems since within 6 months the number five injector started fouling repaired dont no how many times and it still fouled.every time time it goes for inspection it needs at least 400 dollars of repair.now just replaced upper ball joint and sway bar now the tire keeps wobbling. i hate this car want it gone thank god it's the wife's.

My favorite vehicle
By RWH on 11/11/09 20:57 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I love this SUV. Bought it new, have over 170,000 miles on it and hope to get another 170,000 miles out of it. The 302 V8 does and pulls everything I ask it to. This SUV still turns heads and get compliments on it after 10 years of owning it. I also drive a Jeep Commander. For snow I still prefer the Mountaineer. Had the shocks replaced a month ago and ride is very stiff now. Hope it will smooth out with a little more miles on them.

1999 Mercury Mountaineer
By BigTime on 08/26/08 15:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

The Mercury Mountaineer for the 1999 model year is a solid, fairly luxurious SUV entry from Ford Motor Company's Mercury division. The 5.0 L V8 is a gas-guzzler that despite only putting out 215 HP propels the nearly 4500-pound car well. The interior quality is fairly formidable, though its aesthetics are lacking. The cargo room of the Mountaineer allows it to function as the ideal vehicle to carry baseball, golf, or sporting equipment. The car is extremely reliable, far more so than the current mid-size SUV slate Ford offers. The fifteen-inch chrome wheels are aesthetically-pleasing as is the car's grille which sets it apart from its Ford Explorer sibling.

Very Reliable
By Edward on 08/17/08 03:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I bought it at 32K miles and now it has 107K miles. Very reliable. The all-wheel-drive feature handles superbly in snow, ice, and rain. ABS is top-notch. Nice V8 power. The sound system and cruise controls on the steering wheel are an excellent touch. My only complaints have been a seat belt that pulls too tight, spotty FM reception about 25 miles outside Nashville city limits, and a rear-windshield wiper that never completely wipes the back glass.

Looks, luxury, very good reliability
By Jay on 08/18/07 08:39 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased the vehicle in 2001, it has been a joy to own, excepting rear differential seal leak, shot EGR valve, and a bad rear wheel speed sensor. Vehicle is "old generation" SUV, huge inside and handling is kind of gimpy on the road. Minor suspension prob's as the vehicle gets older. This model year received very good reliability ratings in the Consumer Rept's guide compared to other model years. Recommended.

Mountaineer Fan
By D Webb on 12/29/06 03:10 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I have owned this vehicle for over five years and it is one of the best cars I have ever had. The worse problem was a noisy alternator. Other than that just the normal brake, battery, and such replacements have been required. I would buy another except for the gas mileage issue and somewhat harsh ride quality.

this car is great
By girl on 08/12/06 14:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

i bought mine with over 100,000 miles and its still running GREAT! i love the body style and all its power... very reliable and well built! i would definately but another! only problem is gas

Great SUV
By brian bigb on 03/18/06 21:11 PM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had this suv since my jr. year of high school and had a great experience. I bought it with 82,000 and have 60,000 on it and have had no major problems, just an alternator. I am very rough on it and like to take it into the fields and muddy roads a couple times a year, never has gotten stuck yet! Its great for a trip or an evening out. I tow with it and have had no problems.

The Hot Mom's Minivan
By Nicole on 05/23/05 07:17 AM (PDT)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I see it as a woman's truck. It holds the kids, the gear and tows the boat. For camping we set up the tent as a storage closet and sleep in the truck. I love the rear controls, they come in handy to teach the kids how to work the radio and for the nights sleeping in the back, the temp and radio are at my fingertips. Looks nice, handles awesome, and is very fun to drive. It is a TANK in the rain. I have the V8, so it uses gas, but it is an SUV. It's a classy Explorer with lots of little added features that make it more luxurious.

Better than Expected
By thomas otey on 03/24/05 10:46 AM (PST)

1999 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

For the money, the looks and the performance this SUV is a very good deal. The interior is well fit, no squeaks ect., the leather still smells new and has held up very well. The AWD is exceptional in the snow and wet and my wife has confidence while driving it. More money than an Explorer but (I have had 5)worth the step up.