Well built and very reliable
By Mark on
1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV
I bought my 98 Mountaineer in early 2001 with 28,000 miles. It is fully loaded (leather etc) and has the old 5.0 V8 Ford Mustang engine in it so it can haul on the highway if needed. This SUV is super reliable and rides exceptionally well. I repainted the vehicle in 2005 as there was some slight paint fading, but considering I was living in Florida at the time and the SUV is black, you can expect that to happen, also minor electrical problems (doors). I have no plans to buy another car until this truck stops running; period! It currently has 125,000 miles and I have only replaced a water hose for $65, thats it! The 5.0 engine barely has to work, hence why it lasts so long, very good buy!
Favorite Features
The 5.0 engine is super relaible and built to last, its that simple. You still see a lot of these SUV's on the road so that should tell you something. Loaded, leather seats, trim, roof rack, cargo space, folding down rear seats. Nice comfortable ride. Great on road trips.
Suggested Improvements
This vehicle is not a gas sipper, however saying that, considering it has a 5.0 V8 engine, it does OK. Car is 11 years old, some minor electrical problems with door locks and wear and tear issues with middle consol. Apart from that holding up very well and no plans in parting company with this car.