1998 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Review: Satisfied Used Car Purchser 90

1998 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Review

Satisfied Used Car Purchser 90,000 miles
By Barbara Gonzalez on

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Purchased this car from a used car dealer, with 90,000 miles I have had no problems with the car. When I purchased the car I had a major tune up and transmission oils changed, change oil every 3000 miles, one set of brakes, excellent handling on mountain roads and city driving I get 20 mpg on the fwy and 18-19 in traffic. I now have to drive over a 20 mile winding road, with two way traffic, heavy in morning and evenings, with tractor trailers, etc. Mileage has dropped to 17 mpg, I keep all maintenance records. Handles well on the curves and does not feel top heavy. Tire wear is excellent. Only one set of rear brakes, I am not a slouch behind the wheel, and go 60-75 on fwys.

Running board. I am very short and heavy and really need this to climb aboard. Like the feeling of security this vehicle has given me, but with the price increase in gas and the fact I work long hours and am now 75 years old, I need to get a smaller, vehicle that will do me until I die.

The overdrive is what the transmission is set on when you start it up. Should be on regular drive and when I want overdrive push the button. Only complaint, otherwise has been and still is a G R E A T SUV

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review