1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
cant kill it
By texas_ag14 on 08/12/13 08:38 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

i got this car from my grandparents in '08 at 129,000 miles. i thought for sure it wouldn't make it much longer... but today it still runs and drives like the day i got, with 182,000 miles. i haven't had any major problems, only routine maintenance (spark plugs and wires, alternator, o2 sensor, cam shaft sensor, new stereo). this car has never left me stranded, not even once. the only issue i have with the car is that the 5.0 V8 gets pretty thirsty. this car will run forever with regular maintenance.

A Lemon-maybe.
By elizabeth47 on 02/12/13 10:23 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I own a 1998 mercury mountaineer,have had too much front end problems,first was 4 sets of tie rods for both sides.Great in the snow.But the front end is making a humming noise now.taken it to NAPA shop and they told me only ford dealership can fix the problem-Can ford uphold to these problems,i see the recall-yes it has caught on fire from the cruise controll issue but i'm a single mother with this only one SUV.I feel ford needs to address these problems with their SUV-mercury mtneer-and fix them for us loyal buyers(we will continue to purchase ur fords if you make this right)and our friends we recomend buy FORD,what can we poor people do-not enough money to fix it anymore-HELP HELP us pleas

I bought mine when it had 20,000
By cupofcoffee on 07/30/11 09:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

Our Mountaineer had been sitting on the dealer lot for 1 year when we bought it. For it's use it had a lot of miles on it, but 20K ain't to bad, we got it for $17K in early 2000. I personally hate the console because you have less room. The things I have loved about it, hauling ability, towing capacity and with the power chip the performance in town and on the highway. I can do a brake job on this truck 20 minutes per wheel. The repair costs have been pretty low, a intake gasket, brakes, even the tires were cheap when you look at the mileage. So stuff that sucks, radio display and compass display faded, driver door lock. and now the tranny is acting up with 150K mi... Paint has held up well

Simply a great car
By unknown on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV

Now my parents have had our's for a very long time now and it has recently become mine which I nicknamed tank because that's just what it is very reliable yet unfortunately not so well on the gas and safe which I found out how safe it was today from my first accident now I'm not going in to detail about it but the other driver needs a new rear door and quad panel the now "tank" on the other hand has a scratch I recommend this as a first car for beginning drivers the only problems me and my parents have had with this car is the norm door handles failing radio display but the worst thing was about a year ago the pedal got very stiff on the start but other then that nothing major.

Well-Built and so far so good
By Devin on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

I just got the rig 2 weeks ago, but this is my 3rd in 15 years. It had 161,000 miles on it, and is was well kept, very clean, and the engine (5.0 V8) and drivetrain were looked like 60- 75,000 miles newer then they are. It came fully loaded with power everything, moonroof, MACH sound system, leather, and much more. Only thing I have to fix is the radio display (very common problem, very easy fix). All in all, these SUVs are the best of the best and even at high miles, you can find great buys.

This has been a great suv 191000 miles
By Timredbaron on 02/07/10 05:56 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

This is a great suv bought it with 12400 three years ago now has 191000 only repairs was a starter and three sets of wheel bearings. Diving about a 1000 miles this week to DC and back.

love it wont sell it ride it till it die
By Jose on 12/28/09 02:44 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

bought it used for $750, put $750 to replace brakes and suspension, and riding smooth as silk. love the awd in chicago snow and love the 5.0 v8 at the stop light. love how the engine purrs when floored. of course it has its faults such as 2 stereos burnt out and drivers side door lock/handle not working, and rear wiper not working, but other than that, truck looks great both inside and out.

Not too shabby
By Lorr on 07/18/09 00:42 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

A few things do malfunction such as: Radio display, Right Rear door latch, Rear Glass Wiper, Front differential bearing (seized at 145,000 miles even when diff oil was at level), Driver's Seat Recliner Lever. Other than that the vehicle has proven quite reliable (unexpected for my first American-made car). Engine only needed a camshaft sensor (150,000 mi)(easy to replace) and a set of O2 sensors(135,000mi). Exhaust system is original and still as good as new. Tranny has never had an oil change but is still as smooth as ever. The ride was siff but when the front stabilizer connector rod broke, the ride suddenly became pliant, though it now rolled a little bit more on the corners.

Long term driver
By Long term driver on 05/29/09 11:02 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased new: Now is going on 165000 miles. Out of pocket repairs were few 1.drivers door hardware $350 2.new radiator $500 3.Tranny repair $350. That is all. Car just runs and runs.Burns no oil although now has a very minor oil leak at rear seal. We have v-8 with all wheel drive great for ski trips and trips in snow country in general. Has great towing capacity. Gas mileage in suburban driving is 17-18 on highway20-21. Has been a GREAT car. Radio lights operate intermittantly and drivers seatback handle has broken off both very common design problems with this truck. Other than that no complaints at all.

Reliability is the name of the game
By jimbo on 11/30/08 07:15 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer SUV 4dr SUV AWD

Not that anyone cares on this old of a SUV but, has been an excellant SUV in 10 yrs and 155000 miles. One radiator, a spring and piston($300) in tranny repair,driver door mechanism ($300) Have maintained it well oil at 3k miles, etc. V8 just never fails AWD great on snow. Have the normal problems lost radio display, never fixed, and driver seat lever broke off - never repaired as set for me and wife drives a car. Fourth ford I have owned others great also. Only negative is gas mileage 20-21 on highway but normal for a V-8 SUV