1998 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Simply a great car
By unknown on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Now my parents have had our's for a very long time now and it has recently become mine which I nicknamed tank because that's just what it is very reliable yet unfortunately not so well on the gas and safe which I found out how safe it was today from my first accident now I'm not going in to detail about it but the other driver needs a new rear door and quad panel the now "tank" on the other hand has a scratch I recommend this as a first car for beginning drivers the only problems me and my parents have had with this car is the norm door handles failing radio display but the worst thing was about a year ago the pedal got very stiff on the start but other then that nothing major.

Well built and very reliable
By Mark on 08/10/08 09:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I bought my 98 Mountaineer in early 2001 with 28,000 miles. It is fully loaded (leather etc) and has the old 5.0 V8 Ford Mustang engine in it so it can haul on the highway if needed. This SUV is super reliable and rides exceptionally well. I repainted the vehicle in 2005 as there was some slight paint fading, but considering I was living in Florida at the time and the SUV is black, you can expect that to happen, also minor electrical problems (doors). I have no plans to buy another car until this truck stops running; period! It currently has 125,000 miles and I have only replaced a water hose for $65, thats it! The 5.0 engine barely has to work, hence why it lasts so long, very good buy!

Satisfied Used Car Purchser 90,000 miles
By Barbara Gonzalez on 08/21/05 20:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Purchased this car from a used car dealer, with 90,000 miles I have had no problems with the car. When I purchased the car I had a major tune up and transmission oils changed, change oil every 3000 miles, one set of brakes, excellent handling on mountain roads and city driving I get 20 mpg on the fwy and 18-19 in traffic. I now have to drive over a 20 mile winding road, with two way traffic, heavy in morning and evenings, with tractor trailers, etc. Mileage has dropped to 17 mpg, I keep all maintenance records. Handles well on the curves and does not feel top heavy. Tire wear is excellent. Only one set of rear brakes, I am not a slouch behind the wheel, and go 60-75 on fwys.

Love my mountaineer
By Brooks Gardner on 08/20/05 19:27 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

My 1998 Mountaineer has been great and it still is after 108,000 miles. Great care has been taken of it and it still looks like new. I bought it with 26,000 miles and it has never let down even once. I put new Michelins on it and they made it ride like a dream. The best riding SUV that I have ever had or ridden in. the V-8 power is awesome with the 3.73 rear axle. I get 22 MPG on trips and about 16 around town, not bad considering.

On and on and on
By bob stuart on 02/18/05 07:35 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

Bought new and have enjoyed every mile. No mechanical problems. The clock tends to run 2 minutes fast no matter how many times it's corrected, but not a distraction. Excellent ride. Good comfort. Body style attractive. People don't believe it's a '98. Appears newer.When considering a new SUV would most definitly consider a Mounteer.

Mountaineer disappointing
By Vannah on 05/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I am the original owner of this vehicle and it has given nothing but trouble. The recalls have been numerous (5) and performance poor. I have followed the scheduled maintainance and I have still had to make many costly (2,000+) repairs.

Mountaineer lives up to expectations
By Marc on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I purchased my 98 Mountaineer used in Feb 2001. Runs very strong and is a very comfortable ride. No problems with this vehicle whats so ever. I would suggest you do your research with tires though, as a nice soft rubber tire makes this SUV ride like a dream. I have no plans in selling this vehicle any time soon because quite simply, I am still enjoying driving this luxury SUV. Mine came fully loaded with everything and a V8 engine! Waxing this vehicle makes it look like it came out of the factory.

A GREAT TRUCK!!!
By Benjamin Hutzler on 03/23/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

The Mountaineer as close as it is to the Explorer is a great truck. I have mine fully loaded in Toreador Red, 5.0 Engine, Alarm System, Automatic Dimming Mirror, Bucket Seats,Chrome Wheels, Automatic Climate Control for AC, Compact Disc Changer w/the aftermarket installation of the In-Dash 6 Disc CD Changer, Dual Power Seats, Keyless Entry System, Leather Seats, Limited Slip Differential, Luggage Rack, Overhead Console, Power Antenna, Power Moonroof, Running Boards, the rear seat DVD Player from the '02 Ford Excursion, rear Altezza style tail lights, PIAA Super White Headlights, Brush Guard, Bug Guard, and Metal Tail-Light Guards.