Used 1997 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

1997 Moutainneer is great
By Anthony Smith

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I love mine. I think if the fuel mileage was better, it would be the best available SUV. I have 121k miles and I'm hoping to have very few problems. I will recommend you purchase one used. The new ones are good but the value drops like a rock in years 1,2 & 3

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!!
By Linda in NC

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my '97 Mercury Mountaineer in September '96. It has approximately 235,000 miles and is still as reliable as the day I bought it. I have only had to replace the brakes, the tires (of course) and just a few miscellaneous "pieces and parts". It has by far been the best vehicle I've ever owned and if I ever do decide to trade it in, I'll get another Mountaineer. Why mess with a good thing??

I like the styling. It looks just as good today as it did almost 10 years ago and some people don't believe it's a '97. It's comfortable and roomy inside and easy to drive.

How can you improve on perfection??

Best car I ever owned
By Kessel

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought mine with 150000 mile on it it had a 197000 miles on it when it was invloved in an acident. I only thing i had to replace (other than fuilds) was a battery. the biggest problem i had was a flat tire.

All the options it can have everything. the safty is one of the greatest things i found, when i was driving to work and hit a horse on the interstate i walked away with only a few cuts.

The power antenna should have a optional off on swicth, because it could break if frozen down. mine almost did.

Eats gas
By Troy

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle with 68,000 miles on it and now have about 120,000. I have had no major problems with this suv except a small transmission problem, for me it's been very reliable.

6 cd Changer, sunroof, and the v-8 power.

Bigger rims, why 15"!

reliable
By STEVE

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this with 47,000 miles on it...change the oil every 3K and it runs like new. Highway gas mileage averages 18mpg which is about same or better than newer premium SUVs. It also takes regular gas. My Mercury service manager said I could expect another 100,000 miles without a sweat on the 5.0 liter V8 engine.

comfortable roomy interior,power