1997 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews 4

1997 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
A Strong SUV
By aptkrs on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

We have owned our Mountaineer for 2 1/2 years and have really enjoyed owning it. I love the power of the V8 and the little bit of rumble that comes from it. There are not many more options that you can cram into a midsize SUV that the Mountaineer does not have. The ride was very rough until we put some new tires on it and the ride is noticeable smoother, but still not "smooth". We have been talking about getting another vehicle, but we can find no reason to get rid of our Mountaineer.

Mountaineer is great
By gail on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Great vehicle, would buy again

97 Mountaineer Best Vehicle I've owned
By Ram Fan on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I have enjoyed the comfort and reliability of this vehicle so much that it's hard to justify spending $35K on something on something new with comparable features. What can I say, nothing will tear up. Other than an AC overall for $700 in 1999, nothing has broken. With 92000 miles you have thought the starter or alternator or fuel pump or transmission would have broken. But no.

What a machine
By styleguy on 06/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I have a AWD Mountanier. What a vehicle! Great in any type of weather. You can not spin a tire. The vehicle has run flawlessly and only had a few minor repairs. The gas mileage does suffer a little, but you got to pay to play. The air conditioner will freeze you out on the hotest days, and pulls a trailer just fine. I think I will keep mine a while longer, I cant find anything that I like as much for a replacement. I Never thought I would like a Ford.

Great Suv
By Danielle on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I've had my mountaineer about 3 years and I love it. I am currently looking at buying a newer model. The only problem I've had in 3 years (aside of the tire recalls) is the check engine light goes on all the time for no reason.

Real nice truck
By timh on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I own it for a year now. No complaints at all. I drove a few other SUVs, and I couldn't help but love the Mountaineer, and it does NOT feel like an Explorer. The performace of the 5.0L engine is excellent. I own a 5.0 Mustang with over 180k mile on it, and I am confident that this is a great powerplant. The interior is very ergonomic and comfortable for long rides. The anti-lock brakes came in handy a few times. The ride is extremelly comfortable, but the solid rear axle reminds you of it's existence over unveven roads. I am getting about 20MPG on long rides, and about 17 aroung the city.

97 Mountaineer
By grigsby3 on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I drove a few other similar cars but none had the comfort of the power leather seats with adjustable lumbar support.The next consideration was the performance of its 5.0 litre V-8. I haven't experieinced that much acceleration in quite a few years ( and this together with good highway mileage).I have had very few problems- the only one I recall is that the "check engine" light will come on for awhile and then go off and then come on again.