1997 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Great Vehicle....So Far
By poophead on 03/12/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Purchased my Mounty from a friend for $800. Had to put brakes on it, and replace a rear spring shackle. I have less than $1100 in this thing!!! Engine/tranny run/shift like new. I live in the country, and my Jeep is broken down, and I needed a 2nd 4wd anyway. This thing climbs my muddy/snowy driveway w/o any difficulty. I get about the same mileage as I did in my 97 wrangler. I have 190k on her, and the 5.0liter w/ AWD. I'm getting spoiled by the creature comforts, and everything works!! Definately recommend one of these to anyone considering purchasing a midsize SUV that gets so-so mileage.

Can't kill this truck
By Owned since new on 07/27/08 12:17 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this brand new off the dealer lot. It has every option you could order. I've never driven anything better in the snow. I've only had to replace a front all wheel drive part and it has been hard on dash lights for some reason. It tows a boat twice the size of the truck. Expect about 13 to 14 MPG in the city in the V8 and about 18 MPH on the highway at 70 MPH. I've seen several in crashes and they hold up like a tank. The AWD model gets 65 percent power from the rear wheels and 35 from the front. When slipping or in the snow the computer adjusts for traction. It rides like a truck but if you can find one in good shape you have a good truck for as long as you want to own it.

1997 Mercury Mountaineer
By Rink Rat on 07/02/08 07:41 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I have had the car for 7 years bought it in 2001 with 65K miles on it. Overall I have enjoyed the car, However over the last few years (130K + miles) have had lots of issues. Have had to replace ball joints, tie rods, idle arms on multiple occassions (I don't even go off road). Engine has too much weight over the front end, also had to replace 02 sensors yearly. Car is getting around 13 mpg and with gas prices edging closer & closer to $5.00 have come to the realization that it's time to get rid of it. Car always started (did replace battery & alternator) and would consider the car as dependable just very costly to drive. Heater fan, AC compressor also need to be replaced.

Great Vehicle
By Bill J on 06/17/08 18:24 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

Outstanding comfort, driver friendliness, with great curb appeal and fantastic reliability. Handles very well even with heavy trailer loads or on dirt roads. Lots of pep with V8 engine and excellent fuel economy for its size and weight averaging better than 17 mpg for over 11 years. Excellent access to trunk area with large storage capacity.

Couldn't live without it now
By 1st SUV on 05/29/08 23:07 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Mountaineer when I became disabled: easier to get up than sit down. It has everything I could ever want in an SUV, except for better gas mileage. My kids love the moonroof, the heater for the backseat and the ability to haul. I recently moved and used my Mountaineer and a friends Durango and had it done in a day and a half!

1997 Moutainneer is great
By Anthony Smith on 02/12/07 19:40 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I love mine. I think if the fuel mileage was better, it would be the best available SUV. I have 121k miles and I'm hoping to have very few problems. I will recommend you purchase one used. The new ones are good but the value drops like a rock in years 1,2 & 3

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned!!!
By Linda in NC on 02/18/06 22:23 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I purchased my '97 Mercury Mountaineer in September '96. It has approximately 235,000 miles and is still as reliable as the day I bought it. I have only had to replace the brakes, the tires (of course) and just a few miscellaneous "pieces and parts". It has by far been the best vehicle I've ever owned and if I ever do decide to trade it in, I'll get another Mountaineer. Why mess with a good thing??

Best car I ever owned
By Kessel on 12/11/05 21:12 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought mine with 150000 mile on it it had a 197000 miles on it when it was invloved in an acident. I only thing i had to replace (other than fuilds) was a battery. the biggest problem i had was a flat tire.

Eats gas
By Troy on 11/12/05 14:45 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this vehicle with 68,000 miles on it and now have about 120,000. I have had no major problems with this suv except a small transmission problem, for me it's been very reliable.

reliable
By STEVE on 06/06/05 09:17 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought this with 47,000 miles on it...change the oil every 3K and it runs like new. Highway gas mileage averages 18mpg which is about same or better than newer premium SUVs. It also takes regular gas. My Mercury service manager said I could expect another 100,000 miles without a sweat on the 5.0 liter V8 engine.