Used 1997 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews - 39 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Great Little Truck
By Rik

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

After I addressed the mileage issue my changing to BFG Wranglers (my truck now gets 18-19 mpg) I now would drive it anywhere I need to go. I just got back from a family visit that took me from Jacksonville FL to Philadelphia and back, no problems. Mine currently has 134K and id parked next to my '93 explorer with 219K on its odometer. Let's hear it for Ford's Truck division.

It is an SUV with its height. (I am 6'1")

Get rid of the A/T (all terrain) tires and install H/T tires.

Great Vehicle
By DarkCherryRose

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

This is an awesome vehicle. It drives great, is comfortable , great stereo , LOVE the sunroof. This was my first car and I only paid $500 for it, it needed a new head gasket and a few other fixes which cost me about $300 and it was up and running great. I love how you can set your lights to come on by themselves when it is dark out

Sunroof , leather seats and stereo

Love my Mountaineer
By Slick Rick

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 97 mercury mountaineer 7 mo. ago. I really enjoy driving it and it handles awsome in the snow. The only problem I have had is the transmission, which was fairly easy to replace. It definetly has enough power to get out of it's own way with the V8. I would suggest this vehicle to anyone.

AWD, and the 5.0 V8

I love this truck!
By Shannon

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

My truck has 215K miles and I have had pretty limited problems with it. It is showing its wear now so I am retiring it to our summer home where we will use it for local drives and towing our boat or camper. It's very comfortable with nice leather seats.

Comfort, powerful engine, leather seats, very roomy in the back. I have camped in it and being 6ft, I fit in the back.

Gas mileage

The Best Roadtrip Vehicle
By Tre Five

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I have had very few issues with my mountaineer. It now has over 212k miles and the thing runs great. Great performance as you can fly up steep mountain grades and it never gets stuck, even when driving alongside kentucky country roads in thick mud just because you thought it would be fun. It is very comfortable and aside from little problems here and there it is very reliable. 5.0 awd is the only way to go. IT AINT BAD FOR A FORD! However it is still a ford.

AWD, V8 in a true midsize suv, sunroof, 6 disc cd interior layout and space.

mercury needs to re-make the new mountaineer over and back into this 1997 blue oval gem again. Can some engineer please make a frame and undercarriage that doesn't completely rot away to nothing after only 12 years on the road. If it wasn't for the corrosion this thing would be perfect.