1997 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:
Bought mine in 2012
By bondianwolf on 04/17/14 00:04 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Mountaineer in 2012 with 155,000 miles. I am the third owner. Did some minor DIY fixes and the thing just keeps shining. It shifts a little hard. And I did some work on the cooling system after driving it across country in summertime heat. But overall very happy. I luv the strong motor. 2WD but performs well in snow and I've even taken it off-roading and been impressed. Comfortable interior. Surprisingly durable. Easy to find parts at any junk yard. Ford got this one right. They are a leader in truck sales and I understand why now.

Best Car I ever owned
By bondianwolf on 07/28/13 13:21 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords; Mercurys; Oldsmobile; Pontiac; Mazda; and a Mercedes. For the longest time the best car I owned was a 1987 Ford EXP. Yeah it was a tarted up 2 seater escort. But it was fun; practical and it never broke. Then I bought this 1997 mountaineer used (I am the second owner). The reason it is the best is because I got it dirt cheap and (after owning it a while) I recently drove it 4000 miles in blistering heat. At one point my wife and I were crossing the desert in 118 degree heat with the air conditioner running. Neither of us could believe the car didn't explode. It ran like a champ. All repairs have been minor and it's easy and cheap to fix. Ford trucks r awesome

They don't make 'em like they used to!
By Jesse on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

It's too bad we regulate fuel economy and won't tap into our own fuel resources to make gas cheaper. It has caused all these new cars to have overly fragile transmissions and week motors that fall apart. I purchased this car 9 years ago with 150k miles it now has 228k miles very reliable no major repairs except I did replace the heating box in the dash because it only blew hot air (a flap inside malfunctioned)$400. There were no check engine lights on until a couple 1000 miles ago the parking brake light came on not bad for a car pushing a quarter million miles. I'm returning a 07 Ford edge off lease with 38,000 miles feels like its shaking apart at 60 mph transmissions shot.

Great Little Truck
By Rik on 07/10/10 07:53 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

After I addressed the mileage issue my changing to BFG Wranglers (my truck now gets 18-19 mpg) I now would drive it anywhere I need to go. I just got back from a family visit that took me from Jacksonville FL to Philadelphia and back, no problems. Mine currently has 134K and id parked next to my '93 explorer with 219K on its odometer. Let's hear it for Ford's Truck division.

Great Vehicle
By DarkCherryRose on 04/15/10 11:48 AM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

This is an awesome vehicle. It drives great, is comfortable , great stereo , LOVE the sunroof. This was my first car and I only paid $500 for it, it needed a new head gasket and a few other fixes which cost me about $300 and it was up and running great. I love how you can set your lights to come on by themselves when it is dark out

Love my Mountaineer
By Slick Rick on 02/04/10 20:53 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my 97 mercury mountaineer 7 mo. ago. I really enjoy driving it and it handles awsome in the snow. The only problem I have had is the transmission, which was fairly easy to replace. It definetly has enough power to get out of it's own way with the V8. I would suggest this vehicle to anyone.

I love this truck!
By Shannon on 12/09/09 14:32 PM (PST)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

My truck has 215K miles and I have had pretty limited problems with it. It is showing its wear now so I am retiring it to our summer home where we will use it for local drives and towing our boat or camper. It's very comfortable with nice leather seats.

The Best Roadtrip Vehicle
By Tre Five on 09/21/09 20:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I have had very few issues with my mountaineer. It now has over 212k miles and the thing runs great. Great performance as you can fly up steep mountain grades and it never gets stuck, even when driving alongside kentucky country roads in thick mud just because you thought it would be fun. It is very comfortable and aside from little problems here and there it is very reliable. 5.0 awd is the only way to go. IT AINT BAD FOR A FORD! However it is still a ford.

200k miles easy!
By Feralcat on 09/07/09 18:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

This vehicle was passed onto me from my parents when I went back to school, and it has been the most reliable that I have ever owned. Comfortable leather seats, awesome stock stereo, moonroof, and some serious balls on the road. About to hit 200k miles with nothing but basic maintenance. Unfortunately a cross-country move made it angry and the transfer case is has gone bad, but it's still drivable, just getting a lot of clunking from the chain connecting the AWD. The back bumper rusted out from the MI winters but other than that this truck still runs like a champ.

The best by far
By jcio on 08/04/09 18:09 PM (PDT)

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

I bought my Mountaineer used in 2003. It has now reached 222000 miles and I just had it inspected. Needed a few spark plugs but that was it. I asked if the engine and transmission were ok and the mechanic said they were. I love this car. I am looking for another used suv, not because anything is wrong with the mountaineer, I'm just getting worried about mileage. But, I won't be selling it. It will take my daughter to school when she starts driving. They are hard to find used because everyone hangs on to them. This is the best vehicle I ever owned.