Used 1997 Mercury Mountaineer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Mercury Mountaineer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mountaineer model:

Bought mine in 2012
By bondianwolf

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I bought my 1997 Mountaineer in 2012 with 155,000 miles. I am the third owner. Did some minor DIY fixes and the thing just keeps shining. It shifts a little hard. And I did some work on the cooling system after driving it across country in summertime heat. But overall very happy. I luv the strong motor. 2WD but performs well in snow and I've even taken it off-roading and been impressed. Comfortable interior. Surprisingly durable. Easy to find parts at any junk yard. Ford got this one right. They are a leader in truck sales and I understand why now.

Best Car I ever owned
By bondianwolf

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

I have owned Fords; Mercurys; Oldsmobile; Pontiac; Mazda; and a Mercedes. For the longest time the best car I owned was a 1987 Ford EXP. Yeah it was a tarted up 2 seater escort. But it was fun; practical and it never broke. Then I bought this 1997 mountaineer used (I am the second owner). The reason it is the best is because I got it dirt cheap and (after owning it a while) I recently drove it 4000 miles in blistering heat. At one point my wife and I were crossing the desert in 118 degree heat with the air conditioner running. Neither of us could believe the car didn't explode. It ran like a champ. All repairs have been minor and it's easy and cheap to fix. Ford trucks r awesome

V-8 engine - running boards - power everything - dual sunvisors

better quality heater

They don't make 'em like they used to!
By Jesse

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

It's too bad we regulate fuel economy and won't tap into our own fuel resources to make gas cheaper. It has caused all these new cars to have overly fragile transmissions and week motors that fall apart. I purchased this car 9 years ago with 150k miles it now has 228k miles very reliable no major repairs except I did replace the heating box in the dash because it only blew hot air (a flap inside malfunctioned)$400. There were no check engine lights on until a couple 1000 miles ago the parking brake light came on not bad for a car pushing a quarter million miles. I'm returning a 07 Ford edge off lease with 38,000 miles feels like its shaking apart at 60 mph transmissions shot.

dependable 5.0 v8!!! dependable tranny!

likes gas but when it was built gas was $1 a gallon now gas is tripled in cost thats not fords fault thats Washington's fault! Cars in the late 90's were built better than now because they had less restrictions go look at 05 06 07 reviews they are terrible.

Great Little Truck
By Rik

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV AWD

After I addressed the mileage issue my changing to BFG Wranglers (my truck now gets 18-19 mpg) I now would drive it anywhere I need to go. I just got back from a family visit that took me from Jacksonville FL to Philadelphia and back, no problems. Mine currently has 134K and id parked next to my '93 explorer with 219K on its odometer. Let's hear it for Ford's Truck division.

It is an SUV with its height. (I am 6'1")

Get rid of the A/T (all terrain) tires and install H/T tires.

Great Vehicle
By DarkCherryRose

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 4dr SUV

This is an awesome vehicle. It drives great, is comfortable , great stereo , LOVE the sunroof. This was my first car and I only paid $500 for it, it needed a new head gasket and a few other fixes which cost me about $300 and it was up and running great. I love how you can set your lights to come on by themselves when it is dark out

Sunroof , leather seats and stereo