2004 Mercury Monterey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monterey model:
2004 Mercury Monterey
By kevinfriend on 06/29/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Monterey Premier 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am an owner of the 2004 Mercury Monterey, I have never wrote a review on a car in my life, but thought this important to do on this one. I bought the van with 38,000 miles, today it has 53,000. I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle in my life. This week the air conditioner is out. Its something at least once a month. I am easy on my cars, service is very important to me. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I am a 20 year Police Officer and really considering selling all of my Ford products because of this vehicle, terribly dissapointed in Ford Lincoln Mercury for allowing this type of vehicle on the road.

Worst Vehicle I have ever owned
By bspagnolo on 03/12/12 18:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Monterey Premier 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Had a 2000 Windstar that had three transmissions in 36,000 miles. Foiund it had silent recall. Got this with concessions from Ford. Many service issues. Just had the third row seat restraints break loose from the frame. Whole underside of drivers side is rusted underneath . NTSHA has an investigation on this vehicle for safety issues regarding seat mounts breaking free because of rust. I have a 12x12 hole in a wheel well and Ford won't do anything. Only 67,000 miles, Wife drives it. Garage kept. This is the second vehicle ford let us down on. I have owned fords all my life and never again. They don't stand behind what they sell. I suggest everyone with this vehicle check the wheel wells row

Loved the Villager, tried the Monterey
By Sara on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Mercury Monterey Luxury 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have a 95 Villager with 291K & still love it, even without AC. Bought this Monetery after my husband totaled 2002 Villager & ended up with a scratch. Love it but many repairs. Now Drivers heated seat is out, Drivers side heat blows cold, replaced transmission at 135K, replace brakes on regular basis, expensive to replace tires, and windshield wipers work intermittently

Smooth ride with peppy engine
By ME on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Monterey Convenience 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Monterey new and still have it! Replaced AC @ 50K. Replaced brakes @ 85K and now have 86K. Very smooth ride, good acceleration in traffic and extremely comfy on the road trips. Lots of room for people and cargo. Overall, very very pleased. Esp like the peppy engine in metro traffic. Easy to see out of and feel safe. Good sound! Handles well. Never broken down. Reliable.

Transmission/egr headaches
By famster on 06/16/10 06:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Monterey Luxury 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My 04 monterey transmission went too, no warning! Cost $2000. 84,000 miles. Also having problems with engine light. Looks like egr valve. Cost about $350. Love the car, but the excessive repairs are bleeding me dry! With the transmission complaints abundant, why won't Ford do anything? From a large family of Ford owners, I may not purchase another due to lack of support of their owners and their own lack of accountability. How sad.

Third review, now at 80,000 miles
By Almon on 03/28/10 23:52 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Monterey Luxury 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This van continues to be the best auto purchase I have made over 40 years of driving.I have had two repairs over the past six years. A door lock and an AC compressor last year. Total for both $900.00. This van is solid on the road and comfortable for my 6'2" 250 pound frame. Interior is very flexible. Pick up and passing performance seems to have improved over the years. I average 16 mpg city and 23mpg highway.

EXCELLENT VAN
By rr on 03/02/10 07:51 AM (PST)

2004 Mercury Monterey Convenience 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

HAD the chev venture and pontiac before this both were in the shop steady bought the mercury van and it now has 101000 on only problem was 120 bucks very reliable gets from 19 to 24 mpg very comfortable

I want another one
By aml5501 on 08/05/09 18:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Mercury Monterey Convenience 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first minivan and it will be my last. I love this minivan. Everything about it. It is luxury from top to bottom. I just wish it got better gas mileage. I haven't seen another out on the road, which I think is sad because I love it and I think everyone should have one. My kids love the automatic doors the most. I love dropping them off at school and just pushing a button to let them out. I just wish they still made them. I too would love a navigation system and a little more under the seat storage but other than that, it is perfect.

It's good enough for me
By wattaguy on 01/25/09 17:05 PM (PST)

2004 Mercury Monterey Convenience 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I'm the unusual purchaser. My main car is a 2002 Bentley Arnage. I'm spoiled, and I know it. We bought this car, a Premium model to schlep the dogs and visitors. It has comfort for 7. We got every option, and then added an after market moonroof and wood trim package. It's now 4 years later. The Bentley sits, and we drive the van. It's comfortable, dependable, and has never had a mechanical issue once. I know if I get into this car I'm going to get to where I'm going. Some of the plastic trim items were cheesy, and they could improve on that, but for the price this is a really nice car, and at 3000 miles a year, we're now retired, this car will be with us forever. It's good enough for me.

Great van- great price- love it
By bsmith82 on 12/05/08 12:29 PM (PST)

2004 Mercury Monterey Convenience 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Vehicle bought new- no warranty issues - runs very strong. everything still works as new some 4 + years later. Other vans were way too much money and this was a great value for sure. 3 kids, 14/12/9 and we have it loaded and can get 22 mpg at 65-70 mph all day long. City mpg is at best 18- but we have friends with an Odyssey who do no better and freinds with a Sienna who have had engine sludge problems and a door fell off of theirs. Oh yeah- affter 60K miles, we had to do rear brakes. Not bad in my book ! Overall I give this Merc a B+ / A-.