Used 2004 Mercury Monterey Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercury Monterey - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monterey model:

2004 Mercury Monterey
By kevinfriend

2004 Mercury Monterey Premier 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am an owner of the 2004 Mercury Monterey, I have never wrote a review on a car in my life, but thought this important to do on this one. I bought the van with 38,000 miles, today it has 53,000. I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle in my life. This week the air conditioner is out. Its something at least once a month. I am easy on my cars, service is very important to me. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I am a 20 year Police Officer and really considering selling all of my Ford products because of this vehicle, terribly dissapointed in Ford Lincoln Mercury for allowing this type of vehicle on the road.

Worst Vehicle I have ever owned
By bspagnolo

2004 Mercury Monterey Premier 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Had a 2000 Windstar that had three transmissions in 36,000 miles. Foiund it had silent recall. Got this with concessions from Ford. Many service issues. Just had the third row seat restraints break loose from the frame. Whole underside of drivers side is rusted underneath . NTSHA has an investigation on this vehicle for safety issues regarding seat mounts breaking free because of rust. I have a 12x12 hole in a wheel well and Ford won't do anything. Only 67,000 miles, Wife drives it. Garage kept. This is the second vehicle ford let us down on. I have owned fords all my life and never again. They don't stand behind what they sell. I suggest everyone with this vehicle check the wheel wells row

It is a heavy car. However, this adds to poor gas mileage. It holds the road nice but lot's of road noise.

Ford has made so many mistakes with their minivans, that they have stopped making them and disbanded the entire team associated with the design of the windstar,freestar, and Monterey.

Loved the Villager, tried the Monterey
By Sara

2004 Mercury Monterey Luxury 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We have a 95 Villager with 291K & still love it, even without AC. Bought this Monetery after my husband totaled 2002 Villager & ended up with a scratch. Love it but many repairs. Now Drivers heated seat is out, Drivers side heat blows cold, replaced transmission at 135K, replace brakes on regular basis, expensive to replace tires, and windshield wipers work intermittently

Heated seats when working, separate heat & A/C Zones, fold down rear seat, fold forward back seats.

Rear windows that opened or lowered, better interior sound dampening, rear heated seats.

Smooth ride with peppy engine
By ME

2004 Mercury Monterey Convenience 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Monterey new and still have it! Replaced AC @ 50K. Replaced brakes @ 85K and now have 86K. Very smooth ride, good acceleration in traffic and extremely comfy on the road trips. Lots of room for people and cargo. Overall, very very pleased. Esp like the peppy engine in metro traffic. Easy to see out of and feel safe. Good sound! Handles well. Never broken down. Reliable.

Ride is smooth. Sit up high and see out of. Lots of get up and go. Fold away third seat.

Transmission/egr headaches
By famster

2004 Mercury Monterey Luxury 4dr Minivan (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

My 04 monterey transmission went too, no warning! Cost $2000. 84,000 miles. Also having problems with engine light. Looks like egr valve. Cost about $350. Love the car, but the excessive repairs are bleeding me dry! With the transmission complaints abundant, why won't Ford do anything? From a large family of Ford owners, I may not purchase another due to lack of support of their owners and their own lack of accountability. How sad.