Used 2005 Mercury Montego Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercury Montego - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercury Montego Sedan

View reviews for a specific Montego model:

A Mercury? for all ages?
By stevec81

2005 Mercury Montego Sedan Premier Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this as an used car while looking for a variety of mid-size sedans. While not initially on up for consideration, I was sold on it after driving it. While Mercury is generally associated as a car for "old people", I was pleasantly surprised by this. Although the Montego is also a full-size car with large trunk, the similarities with the Grand Marquis end right about there. Although not sporty or fast, the Montego drives light on its feet and feels well-connected to the road. While understated, it still looks like something special.

Favorite Features

Two words: interior packaging. The back seat is immense in terms of legroom and headroom; the interesting seating position of the front seats (about 3" higher than normal) allows for a lot of legroom. The size of the trunk adds more functionality to this car; it is so large, reaching the back is actually kind of tricky. However, the back seats fold down, adding to the cargo space. I was able to fit a 9-foot Xmas tree inside the car and close the trunk. Based upon a Volvo design, the Montego handles winter weather great. I have the front-wheel drive model and it was the best car I have driven in the winter so far. Another good touch are the HID headlights (VERY bright).

Suggested Improvements

Add a telescoping steering column (it has adjustable pedals), more durable splashguards/mudflaps.

You get what you pay for
By nobigdl

2005 Mercury Montego Sedan Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car seemed like a good deal, but after getting used to it I find many annoying items. Like the 2-zone air conditioning is really confusing and doesn't keep the settings when turned off. A/C has already needed major repair. At midday (high sun angle), the glare on the speedo is so bad you can't read it. Poor design foresight throughout. The information display is fairly useless and very confusing when trying to reset oil change interval. Dash board surface is bubbling. Light dash color glares horribly. Seat bottoms are too short and seats are too hard. Interior quality feels like a rental car. If you find dumb design annoying, don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

Mileage is decent for its size. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering needs to think things through. Way too many annoyances that could easily have been done right. Just not user friendly.

2005 Montego Premier AWD CVT
By Dave Croft

2005 Mercury Montego Sedan Premier AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is probably the last car I'll ever need to buy. I like everything about it. I've had dozens of cars and trucks before. This one's a keeper. It's comfortable and fun to drive. I've found the 3.0 liter to have plenty enough power for my needs and the gas mileage is amazing for this class of vehicle. Average 23-24 local driving and on a long trip using cruise control this thing jumps up to an average of 32-33 mpg. Since 2007 I've driven it 40,000 miles. I bought it with 23,000 on it for a total of 63,000 miles. It runs like new. The Montego is built like a tank, rugged. The AWD coupled with Traction control and the CVT transmission work together allow the car to walk over any ice or snow.

Favorite Features

Moon roof, backup sensors, awd in bad weather it can't be beat. height of seating allows good visibility. 2 driver memory selection.

Suggested Improvements

Windshield wiper blades (they chatter)

Could Be Better!
By Meo

2005 Mercury Montego Sedan Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Negatives 1.Windshield glare from front dash area (have tan interior) 2.Perreille tires good for 24k thats it 3.Rear door panels hold water 4.Service Bulletin rear disc brakes 5.Transmission rough when cold 6 HID front head lights heat to intense for internal yellow turn signal materials 7.Paint quality could be upped a notch 8.Rear bumper needs top external flange so to not scratch the bumper when raising the trunk. 9.Side Mirrors too larger can block visability 10. AC Weak (car is black)

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, eighteen inch wheels, general suspension, 5 star crash test, window wipper design. Seating position,nice horn,HID head lamps

Suggested Improvements

Glare from dash board bad (Tan interior) Motor could get better MPG, Would love to see a 3.0 diesel AWD version

2005 Mercury Montego AWD
By Randy99

2005 Mercury Montego Sedan Luxury AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I picked up my Mercury Montego AWD last March from a wholesaler in Florida. I read a few reviews from here and noticed folks really seemed to like the vehicle, and now I know why. I quickly found the car to be very suitable and probably the most room I've had for a medium size car for my 6' 5" body. I travel extensively on business trips and have already put on 15K miles in just these past few months. It handles just fine and has plenty enough power for my needs, although it is a bit sporty and some buyers might feel as though the car should fly for the way it looks. The gas mileage was the real surprise with trips getting 25 to 29 mph. One issue with the instrument gauges going off.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage Seat height AWD Handling on the road

Suggested Improvements

Ford should correct known the instrument panel issue of the gauges going on and off. Trunk is a bit heavy to left and could use a spring or two to assist.