2005 Mercury Montego - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montego model:
You get what you pay for
By nobigdl on 08/30/10 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car seemed like a good deal, but after getting used to it I find many annoying items. Like the 2-zone air conditioning is really confusing and doesn't keep the settings when turned off. A/C has already needed major repair. At midday (high sun angle), the glare on the speedo is so bad you can't read it. Poor design foresight throughout. The information display is fairly useless and very confusing when trying to reset oil change interval. Dash board surface is bubbling. Light dash color glares horribly. Seat bottoms are too short and seats are too hard. Interior quality feels like a rental car. If you find dumb design annoying, don't buy this car.

Could Be Better!
By Meo on 07/01/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Negatives 1.Windshield glare from front dash area (have tan interior) 2.Perreille tires good for 24k thats it 3.Rear door panels hold water 4.Service Bulletin rear disc brakes 5.Transmission rough when cold 6 HID front head lights heat to intense for internal yellow turn signal materials 7.Paint quality could be upped a notch 8.Rear bumper needs top external flange so to not scratch the bumper when raising the trunk. 9.Side Mirrors too larger can block visability 10. AC Weak (car is black)

2005 Mercury Montego
By Lawrence on 06/19/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have been totally satisfied with our Montego. Driving at 65 MPH on an interstate, we have gotten 31.5 MPG. At 70 MPH, it goes down to 27 MPG. City driving makes it go down to 25 MPG. The height of the seats make getting in and out of the car extremely easy. We are both tall, so the more than ample length seats are a plus. Like all Ford products, the car corners fantastically. The 5-star safety rating is yet another plus.

Best car I ever had
By Jean Clubine on 03/23/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car because a I wanted a larger car with front wheel drive. This is one of the few that had it besides GM. Bought it new with 200 miles on it. It is definitely the most trouble free and dependable car I have ever had. I previously had a Cadillac Deville and it has all the bells and whistles I had on the Cadillac. I got the Premier because I wanted the leather seats and then got other options, too. I had always wanted a Mercury but had never had one. I shouldn't have waited so long to get one.

Superficially nice but poor quality
By sue on 03/10/09 04:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car new, and loved the comfortable and roomy interior. It had a lot of "bells and whistles", like seat warmers, moonroof, leather, beeping back bumper, etc... Unfortunately, the exterior quality and engine quality are out of alignment. I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Ranging from minor inconveniences such as the trunk latch not working and the brakes needing replaced after 30K miles (covered by manufacturer recall), to major issues like the a/c needing replaced and the transimission failing after only 63K miles. I would warn anyone looking at this vehicle to not let the outside fool you. This is a poorly made Ford.

Solid car
By StBonas1984 on 10/15/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love this car and I had the usual problems that most have mentioned. I replaced the front strut mounts (ext warranty) after about 35000 miles. The auto down window regulator broke and that was also covered by my extended warranty. I had the bubbles in the dash compartnemtn lid and the dealer popped a new one in it. The interior is wearing on the door handle and the shifterknow is peeling. Mileage is great and I am getting those mid twenties also. Ride is great and I love the large door. The only problem with this car is that Ford and Mercury never marketed this car correctly. My kids have trashed the bumpers and body panels with scratches and dings but what can you expect with teenagers.

Love this car, but still just a Ford
By nsoli on 07/10/08 07:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is a car with really big value. I have the Luxury which has nice leather, wood and some brushed metal accents (plastic). Overall, very snazzy car, HID headlights, premium cd, etc. I can't even emphasize enough how roomy this car is inside. Was very happy. Downside - they used the old Taurus transmissions in a new car! What a scam! Only 200 hp, very low low-end torque. Build quality showed thru at the end of my lease. Rear driver's side door became water-logged from car wash, rear sway bars and bushings are shot. Power steering pump is shot, dealer insists there's nothing wrong, all Ford's make that loud whining sound when turning a corner. And that's why I'm buying a BMW next!

Love This Car
By colonial64 on 07/01/08 05:09 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My first two Mercurys were Sables and I was impressed by their quality and reliability. The Montego has given me outstanding service. It is comfortable and a real pleasure to drive, both in town and on long road trips. The fuel economy surprised me, since the Montego is a large car. I routinely get 29-30 MPG on the highway and 26 in town. In all, a fine package and a good value.

Saintdad
By Bob Saintdad on 03/22/08 14:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this automobile to get a car with space. My wife and I travel alot and the roominess is a strong plus. The large trunk gives us space for golf clubs and 2 large bags and four medium size bags. six speed trans mission, 18 inch wheels are a real plus. We get 29 miles/gal on the highway. 6disc changer, moon roof leaves plenty of head room in this car. So far, 65000 miles and only general maintenance has been done.

100,000 mile review
By Tkaxman on 03/20/08 06:33 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Now at 105,000 miles with very little problems. The car still looks and runs like new. The Montego is a full size car in a mid-size body. Only complaint is noise. There is a lot of engine and road noise.