Used 2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercury Montego - Consumer Reviews

2005 Mercury Montego

View reviews for a specific Montego model:

You get what you pay for
By nobigdl

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car seemed like a good deal, but after getting used to it I find many annoying items. Like the 2-zone air conditioning is really confusing and doesn't keep the settings when turned off. A/C has already needed major repair. At midday (high sun angle), the glare on the speedo is so bad you can't read it. Poor design foresight throughout. The information display is fairly useless and very confusing when trying to reset oil change interval. Dash board surface is bubbling. Light dash color glares horribly. Seat bottoms are too short and seats are too hard. Interior quality feels like a rental car. If you find dumb design annoying, don't buy this car.

Favorite Features

Mileage is decent for its size. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering needs to think things through. Way too many annoyances that could easily have been done right. Just not user friendly.

Could Be Better!
By Meo

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Negatives 1.Windshield glare from front dash area (have tan interior) 2.Perreille tires good for 24k thats it 3.Rear door panels hold water 4.Service Bulletin rear disc brakes 5.Transmission rough when cold 6 HID front head lights heat to intense for internal yellow turn signal materials 7.Paint quality could be upped a notch 8.Rear bumper needs top external flange so to not scratch the bumper when raising the trunk. 9.Side Mirrors too larger can block visability 10. AC Weak (car is black)

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, eighteen inch wheels, general suspension, 5 star crash test, window wipper design. Seating position,nice horn,HID head lamps

Suggested Improvements

Glare from dash board bad (Tan interior) Motor could get better MPG, Would love to see a 3.0 diesel AWD version

2005 Mercury Montego
By Lawrence

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have been totally satisfied with our Montego. Driving at 65 MPH on an interstate, we have gotten 31.5 MPG. At 70 MPH, it goes down to 27 MPG. City driving makes it go down to 25 MPG. The height of the seats make getting in and out of the car extremely easy. We are both tall, so the more than ample length seats are a plus. Like all Ford products, the car corners fantastically. The 5-star safety rating is yet another plus.

Favorite Features

High seating. Merlot color. Leather seats. Good gas mileage for a mid-size car.

Suggested Improvements

Wish someone could tell us how to disengage the child safety locks on the back doors.

Best car I ever had
By Jean Clubine

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car because a I wanted a larger car with front wheel drive. This is one of the few that had it besides GM. Bought it new with 200 miles on it. It is definitely the most trouble free and dependable car I have ever had. I previously had a Cadillac Deville and it has all the bells and whistles I had on the Cadillac. I got the Premier because I wanted the leather seats and then got other options, too. I had always wanted a Mercury but had never had one. I shouldn't have waited so long to get one.

Favorite Features

Back seats that lay down, MP3 system, good acceleration even with 67000 miles on it, the comfort and the dependability.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of anything to change. I never understood why Mercury didn't advertise it more because it is such a great car.

Superficially nice but poor quality
By sue

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car new, and loved the comfortable and roomy interior. It had a lot of "bells and whistles", like seat warmers, moonroof, leather, beeping back bumper, etc... Unfortunately, the exterior quality and engine quality are out of alignment. I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Ranging from minor inconveniences such as the trunk latch not working and the brakes needing replaced after 30K miles (covered by manufacturer recall), to major issues like the a/c needing replaced and the transimission failing after only 63K miles. I would warn anyone looking at this vehicle to not let the outside fool you. This is a poorly made Ford.

Favorite Features

Interior room, comfortable seating,

Suggested Improvements

Engine