2005 Mercury Montego - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Montego model:
You get what you pay for
By nobigdl on 08/30/10 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car seemed like a good deal, but after getting used to it I find many annoying items. Like the 2-zone air conditioning is really confusing and doesn't keep the settings when turned off. A/C has already needed major repair. At midday (high sun angle), the glare on the speedo is so bad you can't read it. Poor design foresight throughout. The information display is fairly useless and very confusing when trying to reset oil change interval. Dash board surface is bubbling. Light dash color glares horribly. Seat bottoms are too short and seats are too hard. Interior quality feels like a rental car. If you find dumb design annoying, don't buy this car.

2005 Montego Premier AWD CVT
By Dave Croft on 04/12/10 08:04 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Premier AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

This is probably the last car I'll ever need to buy. I like everything about it. I've had dozens of cars and trucks before. This one's a keeper. It's comfortable and fun to drive. I've found the 3.0 liter to have plenty enough power for my needs and the gas mileage is amazing for this class of vehicle. Average 23-24 local driving and on a long trip using cruise control this thing jumps up to an average of 32-33 mpg. Since 2007 I've driven it 40,000 miles. I bought it with 23,000 on it for a total of 63,000 miles. It runs like new. The Montego is built like a tank, rugged. The AWD coupled with Traction control and the CVT transmission work together allow the car to walk over any ice or snow.

Could Be Better!
By Meo on 07/01/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Negatives 1.Windshield glare from front dash area (have tan interior) 2.Perreille tires good for 24k thats it 3.Rear door panels hold water 4.Service Bulletin rear disc brakes 5.Transmission rough when cold 6 HID front head lights heat to intense for internal yellow turn signal materials 7.Paint quality could be upped a notch 8.Rear bumper needs top external flange so to not scratch the bumper when raising the trunk. 9.Side Mirrors too larger can block visability 10. AC Weak (car is black)

2005 Mercury Montego AWD
By Randy99 on 06/22/09 19:24 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I picked up my Mercury Montego AWD last March from a wholesaler in Florida. I read a few reviews from here and noticed folks really seemed to like the vehicle, and now I know why. I quickly found the car to be very suitable and probably the most room I've had for a medium size car for my 6' 5" body. I travel extensively on business trips and have already put on 15K miles in just these past few months. It handles just fine and has plenty enough power for my needs, although it is a bit sporty and some buyers might feel as though the car should fly for the way it looks. The gas mileage was the real surprise with trips getting 25 to 29 mph. One issue with the instrument gauges going off.

2005 Mercury Montego
By Lawrence on 06/19/09 14:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We have been totally satisfied with our Montego. Driving at 65 MPH on an interstate, we have gotten 31.5 MPG. At 70 MPH, it goes down to 27 MPG. City driving makes it go down to 25 MPG. The height of the seats make getting in and out of the car extremely easy. We are both tall, so the more than ample length seats are a plus. Like all Ford products, the car corners fantastically. The 5-star safety rating is yet another plus.

Best car I ever had
By Jean Clubine on 03/23/09 08:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car because a I wanted a larger car with front wheel drive. This is one of the few that had it besides GM. Bought it new with 200 miles on it. It is definitely the most trouble free and dependable car I have ever had. I previously had a Cadillac Deville and it has all the bells and whistles I had on the Cadillac. I got the Premier because I wanted the leather seats and then got other options, too. I had always wanted a Mercury but had never had one. I shouldn't have waited so long to get one.

Superficially nice but poor quality
By sue on 03/10/09 04:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car new, and loved the comfortable and roomy interior. It had a lot of "bells and whistles", like seat warmers, moonroof, leather, beeping back bumper, etc... Unfortunately, the exterior quality and engine quality are out of alignment. I've had nothing but problems with this vehicle. Ranging from minor inconveniences such as the trunk latch not working and the brakes needing replaced after 30K miles (covered by manufacturer recall), to major issues like the a/c needing replaced and the transimission failing after only 63K miles. I would warn anyone looking at this vehicle to not let the outside fool you. This is a poorly made Ford.

Solid car
By StBonas1984 on 10/15/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury Fwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love this car and I had the usual problems that most have mentioned. I replaced the front strut mounts (ext warranty) after about 35000 miles. The auto down window regulator broke and that was also covered by my extended warranty. I had the bubbles in the dash compartnemtn lid and the dealer popped a new one in it. The interior is wearing on the door handle and the shifterknow is peeling. Mileage is great and I am getting those mid twenties also. Ride is great and I love the large door. The only problem with this car is that Ford and Mercury never marketed this car correctly. My kids have trashed the bumpers and body panels with scratches and dings but what can you expect with teenagers.

The best car I ever had!
By Cornelia Strohmeier on 08/07/08 17:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I am so glad that I chose the right car. I looked at several cars and did not like them. When I saw Silver Montego I fell in love with it and bought it right away. Still happy with it. It's 10 in rating.

Great Car
By Jim on 08/04/08 13:23 PM (PDT)

2005 Mercury Montego Luxury AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car after the 2006 models had come out. The car is roomy, comfortable and has all the features I want. The dealer discounted the AWD with the CVT transmission. The transmission is very smooth but I only get 25 MPG on the highway and about 20 in town. My guess is that the MPG would be better without the AWD. It's a great car and I'd buy another one. I like the name Montego much better than Sable. I had a 1992 Sable and it fell apart at 50,000 miles.