2009 Mercury Milan Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercury Milan - Consumer Reviews

2009 Milan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Milan model:

Sort Reviews by

Excellent car, exceptional value
By jinx1928

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I made the mistake of trading my 2010 Milan for a Jeep not long ago. I rectified that error by trading the Jeep back in for an '09 Milan Premier with the 3.0 V6 and six-speed trans. I don't understand some of these reviews, especially the "expert" ones, which complain about the '09 Milan's lack of power and poor fuel mileage. My Milan has outstanding power and mileage, generally around 33 mpg. Like my '10 Milan, it handles and rides like a champ, but it also has more amenities, like heated leather seats and a better sound system. I like the Milan, as well, for its distinctive styling. It is a good deal different from its sister, the Fusion, and over looks like nothing else on the road.

Favorite Features

Excellent Power at all speeds and situations Outstanding fuel mileage Very smooth transmission operation All controls well-placed and easy to use Overall, a very solid car

Suggested Improvements

A light in the glove box would be nice!

great car
By fordman62702

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Milan for almost a year now and it's been a great car. Put 11,000 miles on it with not a single issue. Like the looks of the car better than it's Fusion cousin. Mine has the two-tone leather interior, love it. Cleans right up. Has plenty of power for a 4 banger. Sound system is awesome. Controls are easy to use. I just can't say anything bad about it. Just buy one, you won't be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Sound system, Styling, Heated seats and mirrors. Love the folding rear seats and flat folding passenger seat, car does pickup truck duties.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the Tire pressure monitoring told you which tire is low. Rear visibility stinks, should have came with a standard backup cam, luckily aftermarket ones are cheap.

Liked the car
By ep1

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

The design of the car is what sold me as well as the reliablilty of previous model years As well as the excelant crash test scores.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, very roomy inside - sync sound ans sun package - and the price!

Suggested Improvements

The 4cyl engine and gas mileage was just plain awful - that engine on full throttle was way to load - very disappointed

Love my car
By Joe

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After my initial test drive, I immediately knew this was the car for me. I fell in love with how effortless the car was to drive and become comfortable with. I love the way the car feels when you're driving it, although after moving up from a sport coupe (Eclipse GT) it is lacking a little punch. This being my first vehicle in ten years with an automatic transmission it took some getting used to, but with that in addition to the Microsoft Sync it makes driving so much safer. Plus, I find myself looking outside at the car throughout the day admiring its styling...

Favorite Features

Color-changing ambient lighting is a fun/flashy feature, Sync, two-tone leather interior, nice styling, trunk space, MP3 player/digital audio input is a must-have these days

Suggested Improvements

like almost everyone else has said, the headrests can be annoying when the seat is nearly upright, though easily resolved by moving the seat closer to the pedals and reclining slightly. If it had a little bit more get-up this car would be perfect.

Bye, Bye 300!!! Hello Milan!!!
By Nancy82

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Well, I traded in my '08 Chrysler 300 and wanted something "different". My friends always refer to my car as the old, businessman car; as I'm in my 20's and they only see old, businessmen driving it. Lol. I love it and that is all that matters. Driving is still pretty smooth after a year and don't really have any complaints.

Favorite Features

Keypad on door, plays MP3's, Microsoft Sync (LOVE IT!!!), cup holders everywhere. I've had my car a little over a year and I have not had any problems. Also, great on the gas mileage. I love the reminders that tell me when I have low tire pressure and how many miles to 'E' I have.

Suggested Improvements

Well, when I accelerate, the speed doesn't seem to pick up quickly (I know I shouldn't be driving my car like that) and I have to turn the AC off to get a good take off. Also, the lights are not HiDef and it makes seeing the road at night a little tough.

Nice Ride!
By Bhagen05

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I've had my Mercury Milan for about a year and a half now. I really enjoy how the car handles and the performance. Haven't had anything replaced that was major. Only a few electronic things got replace, a roof molding and the driver leather seat started to crack. All and all the car is a great buy. I still get people who say that it is a nice looking car. especially with the metallic flakes in the paint!

Favorite Features

I really enjoy the Sync feature. Heated seats really come in handy in the winter. I like the heated side mirrors and the back up sensors. Of course the auto tinting rear view mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they had different wheels available or the Premier. Installed better leather seats in the Milan Premier.

Way to go Ford!
By Travis

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

I was in the market for a used Camry or a new Hyundai when I got tired of the snobby Toyota dealer and the fake, high-pressure Hyundai dealer. I stopped by the Ford dealer and they were awesome; they listened to my needs (a reliable commuter car with good gas mileage and room for 2 teens in the back) and got me into my Milan. It now has 32k miles on it and has been absolutely reliable and still feels like a new car. No rattles or squeaks and not unplanned trips to the dealer. Gas mileage is amazing for this class of car; I get 40 mpg on my way to Phoenix in the morning. The styling is attractive and fresh without being too flashy and it feels like a much more expensive car.

Favorite Features

Reliability. I plan on keeping this car until 200k miles and so far it has been great. Styling is also nice and the interior is well thought out and comfy on road trips.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.3 liter, 160 hp 4 cyl is a bit noisy at idle, but about average for similar motors. Power is adequate, but with 4 people in it, going up grades has the motor buzzing. The new 2010 4-cylinder models have more power, but I could always add a new intake and exhaust to beef mine up.

Nice Trade in
By Simon

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5A)

We had a Ford Freestyle, I always complained to my wife that she was spending to much in gas. We drove from Dallas TX to New Orleans, last summer with one tank of gas. 490 miles. I had to stop to fill in cause my wife was afraid we ran out of gas otherwise it would reached around 520. It's my wife car, but I love driving it, we average around 26 city and 32 HWY. However since we bought this car my 05 Mercedes is mostly in the Garage, we both like this car. Hopefully FORD will continue building great cars.

Suggested Improvements

The head rest are not so comfortable, and the driver could use a few inches of headroom.

1 Year of Ownership Update
By cristo

2009 Mercury Milan 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a year now since I purchased my 09 Milan. I have logged only 4,500 miles to date, and (so far) no major issues. I will say that the transmission labors a bit to shift out of first gear when it is cold outside. But is fine once warmed up.It does get on my nerves a bit. My absolute MAJOR complaint is with the headrests in this car! Almost unbearable! I notice all of the Ford products have adapted to this design.I will not purchase another Ford product next year if they are not changed. Other than the two issues I have stated,the car is very good! Mileage is in the mid 20's per gallon. I rarely use it on long trips due to the uncomfortable headrests! It gives me a pain in the neck!

Favorite Features

Keypad entry is an excellent feature and I use it all the time! You can never lock yourself out of the car! No matter how hard you try!! Automatic door locking feature is also very good.

Suggested Improvements

You know what I am going to say to this,don't you?! ALTER THE DESIGN OF THE HEADRESTS!! I see some other people have complained about this as well! The dealer told me to remove them if it bothers me so much. What am I supposed to do for head protection in case of an accident? They remain as of now.

Best AWD sedan on the market
By MountainGoat

2009 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Surprise! The Milan's handling is completely competitive with foreign cars! And the AWD coped easily with our icy winter. Our last 3 cars were Outbacks, but the current version didn't have enough leg room, so we switched to the Milan, which has exactly the room we need. Love the comfort, handling, luxury features for the price. Gas mileage averaging 23-24 overall is disappointing, but the V6 power is fun. The driver's headrest hurt my back by forcing my head to tip forward. I had a local welder change the angle. My wife's headrest didn't bother her, because it's not in the way when the seat is reclined the way she normally has it.

Favorite Features

Handling! (on ice and normal pavement), comfy supportive seats, backup assist sensor, Sirius radio, auto climate control, flip-down back seats,

Suggested Improvements

AWD with 4 cylinder engine for better gas mileage. Front seat head rests that don't punish people who sit up straight.