2008 Mercury Milan Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Milan - Consumer Reviews

2008 Milan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Milan model:

Sort Reviews by

Avoid Milan & Fusion with 5-speed Automatic Transmission
By cesareoc

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This car looks great, drive decently, but it has a major problem: the Mazda built 5 speed automatic transmissions. This transmission seems to have a shorter life span than most modern transmission. Mine started to go at around 80k and completely shut down at 95k. It is a seal system that cannot be serviced, and it is expensive to rebuild. Even the used ones cost twice as much as any other used transmission. This along should be a good reason to avoid Milan and Fusion models with this part, and perhaps all Milan and Fusion.

Favorite Features

Sync

Nothing but issues
By thomusssa

2008 Mercury Milan 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

2008 Milan...must have been 1st run modle or something, everything that could go wrong has. I drive highway miles back and forth to work, consider myself close to average to slightly above avg on how hard I drive a car (and take care of it!). After approx 68k miles, transmission goes out. Took to Ford dealer, they want $6,700 for reman transmission. Unreal, had to go with used transmission due to cost. Have had 2 interior items fail, and need replaced. (console tab and short in power outlet) Now, engine rods knocking?! I see good reviews, but cant understand how so much can happen to 1 car. I've had a Toyota Corolla with 280k miles, and no major issues. Milan was a mistake for me!

Favorite Features

Looks, comfortable ride (when it runs!).

Suggested Improvements

Customer service. Called to complain about transmission and felt like I was wasting 'their' time... Don't warranty an auto part for 60k new, then reman warrantied till 100k...tells everyone there were manufacturing issues.

Near Luxury at Corolla Prices
By benkaf

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4 cylinder with Automatic with 23K last year. I put 27K on it in one year, the most I've ever driven. I've previously owned Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Saab, Volvo and never thought I'd buy a Ford product. But I can honestly say that I am pleasantly surprised. I have had no problems other than a squeaky a/c fan (which went away). The car is well designed inside and out and pleasant to drive, if not refined. It's also economical. I have been able to get about 27/33 MPG out of my Milan.

Favorite Features

The Milan, especially in Premier, is very nice although a little shy of luxurious. The leather seats are comfortable (and heated!), and the voice recognition system, Bluetooth, USB music reader, satellite radio all make driving less of a pain. The rear seats are also comfortable and fold flat and the front passenger seat also folds flat forward - a real convenience for the occasional trip to Home Depot.

Suggested Improvements

The 4 cylinder is a little growly and it starts slow from a stoplight. But in return, I get impressive mileage - consistently getting over 30mpg on the freeway at speed limit. If you want to race, a Milan is not in your future, but if you want near luxury at sensible car prices, it's a good deal. The plastic all looks good and fits right without any squeaks or rattles, and the wood trim is quite nice (although the analog clock is slightly silly), but the plastic seems a little thin in places, as does the carpet.

WOW!
By Wow

2008 Mercury Milan 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

By far the best car i have ever owned. It's great year round, i have yet to have a problem with it. It looks great inside and out. With the sleek design. This car would be great for any family, older or younger person.

Favorite Features

Sleek interior and exterior design, great in the snow.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats

I LOVE IT
By I LOVE IT

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I love the looks, performance, and the interior options on this car. I have owned imports in the past, and this car beats them hands down. The ride is very smooth, and handles like a dream. I was very surprised of the great engine performance from an AWD.Consumer Report got this car right. It's the best and safest vehicle on the road today

Favorite Features

Leather and heated seats, quiet ride, 6 CD player, Sat Radio, and reverse warning sensors

Suggested Improvements

Sync should be standard feature

ROCK SOLID!
By lee

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2008 Milan AWD looks sharp in black w/ spoiler and 2 tone leather interior.Has all the options except navigation.I never had to do anything,not even put air in the tires except w/ oil changes.Takes a curve at 75 mph on the parkway w/o any problem. Getting 30 mpg if going 70 and under.Fun to drive,handles well,love the little things I used to have in my Lincoln like the keypad on the door,compass,auto headlights,calculated mpg etc.but for a lot less money than a Lincoln.My friend has a Lexus 250 IS Awd that cost 10,000 more, has less features,plain interior and has had problems to boot!Go Ford and keep up the good work!

Favorite Features

Sharp looks, handling,rear backup sensors compensate for high trunk, Sync,Sirius radio

Suggested Improvements

Improved radio features, but that's only nitpicking

Surprised and Pleased
By MARC

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had all but written off Big three products. I was coming off my MDX lease and was looking for a more gas mileage friendly vehicle. I was also looking to spend a bit less. The Milan just had the best look, quietest ride, fun toys(SYNC and CD changer) for the money. My prior departure from consumer reports recommendations (with ford) have ended badly. To my surprise CR gave the Milan a full red circle(highest rating) for reliability and Camry was only given an average rating. The unfortunate rapid depreciation put a quasi luxury vehicle under 2 years of factory warranty into the range of affordability. 28 MPG 60% highway/country roads. Comp Camry had 80k miles, to a Milan with 16K

Favorite Features

Affordability, quiet ride, Sync, Wheel design, interior and exterior style

Suggested Improvements

Heated Seats, Those little blue lights over the trans shifter in my MDX help to see items in the center console

Great commuter
By JP

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used Milan as a commuter for a 100 mile daily commute. So far, averaging 28 MPG mainly HWY miles. Seats are very comfortable. The 6 CD changer sounds great. The sync system works much better with my blackberry then the system in my 2004 Acura TL! A slight power trade-off but well worth it for the 28 MPG. This car is a great value!

Favorite Features

Sync system works great. Comfortable leather seats. Masculine exterior styling. Huge truck.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the Leather seats were heated. Slightly under-powered 4 cyl.

For the money - GREAT car!
By Scott

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I didn't know what to expect from this car. I traded an 04 STS Cadillac, and thought I was giving up a lot. Didn't happen! Love the room in this car. Love the comfort (I drive 35,000 a year) and love the fact that everything works, no squeaks, and great milage. Around 25 mpg. I am VERY happy with this car, and can't wait to buy an 2010. Love it!

Favorite Features

sync. heated seats. sound system. comfort.

Suggested Improvements

little noisey with wind at highway speeds.

NICE RIDE
By vince

2008 Mercury Milan Premier 4dr Sedan (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car a few months ago, and the ride is awsome. Drives like a lincoln. I got the V4, and it gets great gas milage. It has a lot of power for a v-4. About 28 mpg hwy. The stereo has a great sound. Finger touch steering wheel for radio and cruise control. Leather seats are padded for a nice long ride. Its a classey type car for the money. A little hard to see out the back window when backing. I would recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable to drive. Lots of options, and the buttons are easy to touch. Stereo sounds awsome.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a better veiw out the back window for backing. The clock could have been digital.