Used 2011 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2011 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Love at First Sight
By piqued

2011 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Okay, we were at the car sale so my husband could get a feel of what kind of car I was interested in and what features I wanted. I wanted a small SUV that would fit in our garage that had two non-negotiable requirements. The glass on the back-hatch had to open, and I needed map pockets on the back of the front seats. I spotted the Mercury Mariner (complete with moon roof!) and it filled all of the requirements. The ride is smooth, the interior is quiet and I find braking assertive. I like the bluetooth phone feature and all the bells and whistles. Our car and truck are older, so everything is a marked upgade. The price was excellent, too! Bought it right away!

Favorite Features

Glass on rear hatch opens; remotely too. Map pockets on back of front seats. Windows open and close even with car turned off. Bluetooth phone capability, running boards, moon roof. Universal garage door opener. Quiet interior, smooth ride, great pick-up, assertive breaking. Leather seats, power driver seat, lots of storage. Cheerful alert bell that turns off after a time. Snazzy appearance. Steering wheel controls. I haven't found all of the features, yet. Lot of luxury for the price

Suggested Improvements

That Ford reinstate the Mercury line.

A total disappointment
By disappointed73

2011 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Two months after purchasing my 2011 Mariner 4 cylinder the rear window exploded. Even though the dealer claimed ignorance to the issue I found many occurrences on the internet proving it was a known defect. The air conditioner quit working next. Took the dealer 3 attempts to fix it during the hottest period in Wisconsin in decades. Next a defective alternator pulley required 3 days at the dealer. Since the replacement of the pulley the air conditioner has quit working again. The warranty will expire very soon. Now I just want to get rid of the car. Had enough.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

I believe Ford used up all the left over parts to make the remaining no longer made Mariners that are on the road today.

Ok for to and from but not a big city vehicle
By lilj509

2011 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

It was time to get a new vehicle, and the salesman said it was "zippy" for a 4 cylinder. It seemed ok when I took it for a test drive on surface streets, but after getting it on the highway, I realized it is not at all "zippy." It has no pick up and go, especially when you have anyone else in the car or anything heavy in the car. It would be great for an older couple who are just going to and from the store, etc., but living in a big city and merging on and off of the highway, this car really is a disappointment. The body style is a little out-dated but at least it doesn't look like a bug, like most newer SUVs do. It gets 24 miles/gallon. The digital fuel gage is rarely accurate.

Favorite Features

Decent fuel economy. Love the sunroof. Comfortable to drive. When tire pressure is low, it does notify you.

Suggested Improvements

Braking system needs improvements. Doors are difficult to open from the outside. If you are looking at this vehicle or a vehicle like it, make sure that it is a 6 cylinder! Really do your research on vehicles before you settle.

Excellent Buy!!!
By joenavy1

2011 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have to say the braking and maybe MPG are the only things that need improvement. I have the V6 AWD Premier model and it has plenty of power, the comfort is awesome, and it drives better than most cars. For all intents and purposes I LOVE this suv and just wish Mervury was still around because in 8-10 years when I drive this one into the ground I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

SNYC, Navigation, premium sound, backup camera, front seats are comfortable!

Suggested Improvements

V6 MPG could be improved and the braking should be 4 wheel disc

We like our Mariner
By Andrea

2011 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Love the back up camera in the rear view mirror. Noticed in riding in the back seat-no grab bars, and no mechanical lock release. We bought this car less than a week ago, got the premier V6, leather seats, dual climate,rear view back up camera and moon roof. So far like everything. We have a 2005 Toyota Highlander, which interior-wise is a lot nicer, even without the leather seats. Highlander doesn't have the modern amenities. My husband thinks it feels more like a truck then SUV, I think it is because it sits up a bit higher, and the front is slightly longer. Thought we would try Mercury-My dad has always bought Fords, and we always had good luck with them lasting a long time!

Favorite Features

Rear view back up camera, My 3 yr old daughter is loving the ambient lighting!

Suggested Improvements

Since we just bought, the only thing I can think of is the grab bars in the back and the mechanical door lock release in back-looks like if you are in the back you have to wait for the person driving to release the locks or it does have a lock in the door that you can pull up.