Used 2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Continuous transmission issues...company refuses to fix.
By desert7rain

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My mom has a 2009 Chrysler Mariner and from the beginning it has had transmission issues. Shifting rough, jerking into gear and lagging between gears then rough shift. They have have had it in the Chrysler shop at least 8 times and it has never been fixed. Even with it obviously not shifting right they would tell us that they could find nothing wrong. When we are able to get a diagnosis, it will be fixed for a week and then it's back to mal-functioning. Now they are completely refusing to pay for any further repairs. This car is not worth the money simply because the company does not believe in fixing issues and it has been in the shop so much that it is difficult on day to day life.

Suggested Improvements

Just do the right thing by customers when it comes to repairing faulty parts.

Nice Looking Car; lacks comfortable driving
By nikki626

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car is really built nicely and it looks pretty but the drive is very forgettable. Cannot get Sync to work... will be trading in for something else.

Love our new Mariner!
By bslate

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I just purchased an off lease 2009 Mariner Premier with V6 and everything except navigation. So far, we are thrilled with the car. It replaces a Honda Civic that was totaled. We have a baby coming in 4 months, and we were shopping Mariners anyway for more space. What you get for the price, in a manageable size, in such a nice looking vehicle really sealed the deal for us. Some of the "newer" designs were more expensive and did not offer as many features. We feel we got a very nice vehicle with lots of options in a nice package that we'll still have a very reasonable car payment and actually be able to put some cash away in the baby's college fund!

Favorite Features

So far we love SYNC, the backup system and the manageable size. It is also very comfortable, quiet and solid on the road. Fuel economy seems to be good thus far. It is also nice to have a split tailgate - you can open the whole thing or just glass. Not many suvs offering that anymore.

Suggested Improvements

A heated steering wheel would have been nice (our Infiniti has this) but the heated seats are plenty warm. Its odd it still has an external mast antenna, but that is a small thing.

Accident Review
By connieintexas

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mariner for a year and a half and had my first accident in my life. I am waiting to find out if it was totaled, but hope it is not. I was able to walk away from an accident that totaled the other vehicle. All of the airbags went off, and I feel very lucky. I love my car and have truly enjoyed driving it! Gas mileage is good, the dealer was/is great and I wouldn't think of buying anything else! If there is one thing that is truly important, it is the safety of myself and family.

Favorite Features

Sync, airbags and comfort ability

Suggested Improvements

More cushy seating would be nice, and remote start and bucket seat options for rear seating.

Transmission problems
By VIC

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car in august 2009. We have taken it to the dealer in 3 different occasions for transmission problems. The first time they said they had to reprogram the computer. The second time they said they had a recall and they had to reprogram the computer again. This week we took it in again and they said they can fix the problem since they cannot reproduce the problem while testing it. This is the worst car we ever owned. The rpm jump to 6000 in the highway, the car basically stops working and you have to get out of the highway to avoid an accident. This happens randomly. Once you stop and restart the car it runs without problems. This dealer has not help us in solving the problem.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problems