2009 Mercury Mariner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:
Continuous transmission issues...company refuses to fix.
By desert7rain on 04/26/12 08:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My mom has a 2009 Chrysler Mariner and from the beginning it has had transmission issues. Shifting rough, jerking into gear and lagging between gears then rough shift. They have have had it in the Chrysler shop at least 8 times and it has never been fixed. Even with it obviously not shifting right they would tell us that they could find nothing wrong. When we are able to get a diagnosis, it will be fixed for a week and then it's back to mal-functioning. Now they are completely refusing to pay for any further repairs. This car is not worth the money simply because the company does not believe in fixing issues and it has been in the shop so much that it is difficult on day to day life.

Nice Looking Car; lacks comfortable driving
By nikki626 on 01/31/12 18:34 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car is really built nicely and it looks pretty but the drive is very forgettable. Cannot get Sync to work... will be trading in for something else.

Love our new Mariner!
By bslate on 12/06/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I just purchased an off lease 2009 Mariner Premier with V6 and everything except navigation. So far, we are thrilled with the car. It replaces a Honda Civic that was totaled. We have a baby coming in 4 months, and we were shopping Mariners anyway for more space. What you get for the price, in a manageable size, in such a nice looking vehicle really sealed the deal for us. Some of the "newer" designs were more expensive and did not offer as many features. We feel we got a very nice vehicle with lots of options in a nice package that we'll still have a very reasonable car payment and actually be able to put some cash away in the baby's college fund!

Accident Review
By connieintexas on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Mariner for a year and a half and had my first accident in my life. I am waiting to find out if it was totaled, but hope it is not. I was able to walk away from an accident that totaled the other vehicle. All of the airbags went off, and I feel very lucky. I love my car and have truly enjoyed driving it! Gas mileage is good, the dealer was/is great and I wouldn't think of buying anything else! If there is one thing that is truly important, it is the safety of myself and family.

Transmission problems
By VIC on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car in august 2009. We have taken it to the dealer in 3 different occasions for transmission problems. The first time they said they had to reprogram the computer. The second time they said they had a recall and they had to reprogram the computer again. This week we took it in again and they said they can fix the problem since they cannot reproduce the problem while testing it. This is the worst car we ever owned. The rpm jump to 6000 in the highway, the car basically stops working and you have to get out of the highway to avoid an accident. This happens randomly. Once you stop and restart the car it runs without problems. This dealer has not help us in solving the problem.

Great Little SUV
By sjmst on 08/21/10 06:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought a used 09 Mariner I4. I had a V8 07 Ford Explorer. I actually like the Mariner better. The Explorer was smooth and quiet, but still felt a little sluggish, even with the v8. The Mariner handles better and is more fun to drive. The 4 cyl is buzzy on acceleration and at times at stoplights. Cruising at highway speeds it is quiet and smooth and plenty powerful, even with four of us and luggage.

Major Transmission Problems
By l_chicago on 05/18/10 12:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2009 Mariner Premier V6 AWD last April. It was running perfectly--gorgeous looking car. 4 weeks ago the transmission was having "issues" brang it back to the dealership and they told me that the transmission has to basically be rebuilt. An issue that they are becoming aware of in the 2009 Mariner. They fixed the trans. Today I had to take it back in because the warning light for the powertrain fault came on. It took them 3 hours to tell me that the issue is a computer issue related to the transmission. They have to take the trans out to figure out why the "fix" didn't work, if they can't figure it out, they need to replace the trans! A 1 year old car shouldnt have trans problems!

Warranty
By Michael on 03/10/10 16:34 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Be aware that the Ford warranty states that if your vehicle must be kept overnight, they owe you NOTHING. No loaner, no rental, no reimbursement. NOTHING. My eight month old Mariner began losing transmission fluid at 8800 miles. I took in in to the dealer and a WEEK later they tell me that they are waiting for a replacement axle. This is a recurring problem for the Ford and Merc Escape/Mariner which is leading to a shortage of parts. Service Manager told me he has two vehicles waiting for that axle. This is the last Ford product for me.

2009 Mercury Mariner
By ILS on 02/01/10 09:50 AM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Within the first 6000 miles the transmission began to "clunk". I took it to the Dealership and was told it was a "characteristic" of the transmission. It is loud and it sometimes takes a second to "engage" and then the "clunk". I am not happy about this. The material on the drivers seat is loose and "puckered up" where I sit. I weigh 120 lbs and I am the only driver. Looks terrible! Sync is a great feature for phones but it is not compatible with my cell phone! Forget trying to figure out the Media! Even the dealersip didn't have a clue. I buy a new car every 2 years and this is the first American Car I have purchased new, wont do that again.

Great American Vehicle
By Joe on 12/30/09 15:36 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My wife and I purchased a 2009 mercury mariner v6 voga this august. It rides great, has great performance, and is an all around good vehicle. It may not be as refined as some of the newer platforms on the market, but it gets the job done. We looked at toyota, honda, and other manufactures, but decided to buy american and haven't regretted it. The distance to empty display is great, as well as the sound system. The ride is SUV like, and it is great in the snow.(16" of unplowed snow and didn't get stuck)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mercury Mariner Suv in NJ is:

$199 per month*