2009 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:
Transmission problems
By VIC on 09/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car in august 2009. We have taken it to the dealer in 3 different occasions for transmission problems. The first time they said they had to reprogram the computer. The second time they said they had a recall and they had to reprogram the computer again. This week we took it in again and they said they can fix the problem since they cannot reproduce the problem while testing it. This is the worst car we ever owned. The rpm jump to 6000 in the highway, the car basically stops working and you have to get out of the highway to avoid an accident. This happens randomly. Once you stop and restart the car it runs without problems. This dealer has not help us in solving the problem.

Great Little SUV
By sjmst on 08/21/10 06:31 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought a used 09 Mariner I4. I had a V8 07 Ford Explorer. I actually like the Mariner better. The Explorer was smooth and quiet, but still felt a little sluggish, even with the v8. The Mariner handles better and is more fun to drive. The 4 cyl is buzzy on acceleration and at times at stoplights. Cruising at highway speeds it is quiet and smooth and plenty powerful, even with four of us and luggage.

Warranty
By Michael on 03/10/10 16:34 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Be aware that the Ford warranty states that if your vehicle must be kept overnight, they owe you NOTHING. No loaner, no rental, no reimbursement. NOTHING. My eight month old Mariner began losing transmission fluid at 8800 miles. I took in in to the dealer and a WEEK later they tell me that they are waiting for a replacement axle. This is a recurring problem for the Ford and Merc Escape/Mariner which is leading to a shortage of parts. Service Manager told me he has two vehicles waiting for that axle. This is the last Ford product for me.

2009 Mercury Mariner
By ILS on 02/01/10 09:50 AM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Within the first 6000 miles the transmission began to "clunk". I took it to the Dealership and was told it was a "characteristic" of the transmission. It is loud and it sometimes takes a second to "engage" and then the "clunk". I am not happy about this. The material on the drivers seat is loose and "puckered up" where I sit. I weigh 120 lbs and I am the only driver. Looks terrible! Sync is a great feature for phones but it is not compatible with my cell phone! Forget trying to figure out the Media! Even the dealersip didn't have a clue. I buy a new car every 2 years and this is the first American Car I have purchased new, wont do that again.

I got more than I had expected.
By RLDA on 08/30/09 05:25 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Took her on a 3000 mile vacation. MPG exceeded the sticker--plenty of room-- and best of all, My wife (who has arthritis) was comfortable the whole time. Nice interior, a little noisy on start up, but a great overall experience. I wanted to buy a non- bankrupt American car (I own two BMW's). Ford is going to score on this type of performance.

Mileage/Sync
By Michael on 08/11/09 12:07 PM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have driven this vehicle for 2 months and I am very happy with the MPG. I am getting 25 mpg in the city and got 29.5 on my one highway trip. These figures exceed the numbers on the window sticker. Those who worry about performance, you need not. For a four cylinder it is snappy. I think the 6 speed transmission helps .

Lovin' my ride
By Happy Mariner on 05/14/09 06:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I was a confirmed hater of driving until I bought my new Mariner. I would have gone with an Escape, but the ice blue interior lighting hooked me. (Went with the 4 rather than the 6 to stay within budget). There's a tad less pickup with the 4, but I've merged onto I-95 and reached 60mph with ease. Once in a clutch situation, I had to brake suddenly and hard - there was no fishtailing nor did the brakes lock. Nice. My SO pointed out the three color interior styling on the dash - they're all neutral tones, very classy. Got my exterior color - Ice Blue - and I am one happy motoring sistah. Icing on the cake - chosen as a recommended vehicle by Consumer Reports.

Fun Driver, Sync is great, reliability?
By B. doyle on 11/12/08 16:57 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Fun vehicle to drive, great gas mileage gets 27.9 mpg highway on trips. 4 cylinder runs rough at idle due apparently to trying to maximize fuel mileage, the hood even shakes. Also had computer controlling the transmission break causing the car to downshift 2 gears on the highway, scary. Brought it to the dealer and was fixed the same day, had to reset the computer.(Dealer says it's a common problem with '09's) The car now has 6,000 miles on it and I truly enjoy it but be careful. At high speeds the vehicle feels like it is going to tip over.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mercury Mariner in VA is:

$116 per month*