Used 2009 Mercury Mariner Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2009 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Transmission problems
By VIC

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought this car in august 2009. We have taken it to the dealer in 3 different occasions for transmission problems. The first time they said they had to reprogram the computer. The second time they said they had a recall and they had to reprogram the computer again. This week we took it in again and they said they can fix the problem since they cannot reproduce the problem while testing it. This is the worst car we ever owned. The rpm jump to 6000 in the highway, the car basically stops working and you have to get out of the highway to avoid an accident. This happens randomly. Once you stop and restart the car it runs without problems. This dealer has not help us in solving the problem.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problems

Great Little SUV
By sjmst

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I just bought a used 09 Mariner I4. I had a V8 07 Ford Explorer. I actually like the Mariner better. The Explorer was smooth and quiet, but still felt a little sluggish, even with the v8. The Mariner handles better and is more fun to drive. The 4 cyl is buzzy on acceleration and at times at stoplights. Cruising at highway speeds it is quiet and smooth and plenty powerful, even with four of us and luggage.

Favorite Features

Handling, Electric Steering, Microsoft Sync

Suggested Improvements

Quiet the engine down a bit.

Warranty
By Michael

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Be aware that the Ford warranty states that if your vehicle must be kept overnight, they owe you NOTHING. No loaner, no rental, no reimbursement. NOTHING. My eight month old Mariner began losing transmission fluid at 8800 miles. I took in in to the dealer and a WEEK later they tell me that they are waiting for a replacement axle. This is a recurring problem for the Ford and Merc Escape/Mariner which is leading to a shortage of parts. Service Manager told me he has two vehicles waiting for that axle. This is the last Ford product for me.

2009 Mercury Mariner
By ILS

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Within the first 6000 miles the transmission began to "clunk". I took it to the Dealership and was told it was a "characteristic" of the transmission. It is loud and it sometimes takes a second to "engage" and then the "clunk". I am not happy about this. The material on the drivers seat is loose and "puckered up" where I sit. I weigh 120 lbs and I am the only driver. Looks terrible! Sync is a great feature for phones but it is not compatible with my cell phone! Forget trying to figure out the Media! Even the dealersip didn't have a clue. I buy a new car every 2 years and this is the first American Car I have purchased new, wont do that again.

Favorite Features

Love the look.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transmission, Improve Synce, Cloth seats that dont buckle.

I got more than I had expected.
By RLDA

2009 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Took her on a 3000 mile vacation. MPG exceeded the sticker--plenty of room-- and best of all, My wife (who has arthritis) was comfortable the whole time. Nice interior, a little noisy on start up, but a great overall experience. I wanted to buy a non- bankrupt American car (I own two BMW's). Ford is going to score on this type of performance.

Favorite Features

Very good ride, lots of room. Excellent six speed transmission. Electric steering is very responsive (my 5 Series feels sluggish now)

Suggested Improvements

Some better sound dampening. Could use a compass and an outside temperature gauge on the basic models.