2008 Mercury Mariner 3.0L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Very Poor Gas Mileage

2008 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Review

V6 4dr SUV (3.0L V6 AWD 4-speed Automatic)

Very Poor Gas Mileage
By missmgmnt on

2008 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded my 2006 Kia Sorento in for the 2008 Mariner this past July. The Mariner was very stylish and offered newer accessories like heated seats and the back up warning system. Initially when I filled my tank up the mileage meter would read "320 miles to empty". But since my first oil change at the dealer this figure has steadily decreased to the point where today it read "227 miles to empty". How on earth could the fuel efficiency drop from 320 to 227 miles like that???? When I fill the tank I generally add between 11-12 gallons so that isn't the issue. VERY disappointed! With the high cost of gas today, such poor fuel economy is just unacceptable. Wish I could get my Kia back! :-(

Favorite Features

The heated seats are great for long rides, especially if you have a bad back - makes the ride so much more tolerable. The moon roof is also nice on a sunny day.

Suggested Improvements

The fuel economy needs to be addressed. There is no excuse for such poor fuel economy. Also, I've only driven on icy roads once so far and the Mariner did not handle nearly as well as most reviews claim - it skidded to a halt a lot - made me very nervous. My Kia handled icy roads much better.
By catreaw
on 03/17/12 14:05 PM (PDT)

Hi missmgmnt, I completely agree with you. I purcharsed a 08 Mariner and in Feb 2009 at around 42,000 miles I experienced transmission failure. Because the car was under warranty they did a "tranmission overhaul" and fixed it. Now in Feb of 2012, only 3 years later again transmission failure (both times it was noted transmission fluid leaked) but since it is out of warranty they refuse to do anything about it. They said that they have never had a recall nor has ever received complaints about these suvs. I refuse to believe it because I checked with NHTSA under their defect section and others have complained about the same thing. I find it highly unlikely that Ford can say that they have no knowledge about any transmission problems because one of the dealers did mention a recall but they said my VIN # was not part of that recall. I am extremely disappointed with Ford and I think someone needs to look into how recalls and defects are acknowledged by these car companies. Two transmission problems in 4 years is HORRIBLE and UNACCEPTABLE. I have opened a case with the auto BBB and even if Ford continues to deny me any assistance on resolving this issue, I at least think they need to go back to all 08 Mariner owners to determine who have had these problems. Even though you have already paid for repairs, if enough people had transmission issues such as us they would have to acknowledge the defect and refund you the repair cost. I am in the process of researching how to open a case against Ford regarding this issue. I know some may feel like it is too late but if people don't stand up companies like Ford will continue to not take responsibility for things like this. Even though time has passed you should still make a complaint with the NHTSA and auto BBB. The more complaints that are visible the more Ford will not be able to deny this problem. Like you I will not go Ford anytime soon in the future. Very disappointed.