Used 2008 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Love it, but be careful
By mep

2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car, but just had an issue with losing power and no warning. At @42,000 miles the throttle sensor malfunctioned and I lost all power without warning! I was traveling at night on the freeway, so this was especially frightening. That being said, I get aroun 30mpg on the highway and 27 in the city...love the size and feel. I am concerned about excessive tire noise...I've been told this is a problem with the Continental tires which are hard. I'll be replacing them soon, but overall, with the hard driving I've put this car through, it's been a champ!

Work on the tire noise

Great SUV
By Love my Mariner!

2008 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my Mariner for about 5 weeks now and couldn't be happier. It may be a smaller SUV on the outside, but it doesn't feel small while driving it and the interior is rather large and accomodating. The gas mileage, in my opinion is excellent for an SUV of any size. I came from a 2007 Grand Cherokee Limited with a V8 engine and assumed I would have some trouble getting used to the size and power of the Mariner, but that wasn't the case at all. The back seat is actually bigger than the Jeep's and overall, it feels like it is the same size. I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend the Mariner.

Gas mileage (I regularly average 20mpg in 60% stop and go driving), exterior and interior design, blue dash lighting, interior room, amount of interior storage spaces, dash controls/layout, and the sunroof.

A bit more power, improve the process to fold down the rear seats, sunroof should be one-touch to close (it is one-touch open), one-touch up and down windows, Sirius radio standard since there's a SAT button on radio, lighted visor mirrors, standard heated mirrors. "cancel" option for cruise control

Lovin it!
By ramona

2008 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my vehicle a week now and am really enjoying it. After researching several cars thoroughly for price, amenities, style, crash tests, reliability, and fuel economy, I settled on the Mariner. I am surprised at how many men actually like it because it is a pretty metallic green color. It is really quite sharp, with its black trim and slate interior. We love our sunroof and find it functional in Florida to let the heat out. The upolstery is the best--wipes clean easily and is very comfortable----the seats are cushy and the ride smooth and solid. I never wanted to touch a vehicle with dark interior, but this is remarkably cool and comfortable. We find our Mariner very roomy.

Comfortable ride, sturdy, solid feel, roomy seating and cargo area, Sunroof, Satellite radio, storage in console, keypad entry!!! (from a recovering "lock my keys in the car" person),its style. Most surprising is how it does not get hot inside despite it's dark interior;my tan Honda Accord was wors

Protective grill or cover of some sort in front of the radiator, back up warning and sensors standard, top quality stereo speaker system, dual controlled air.

Stay Away
By Chelly

2008 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the 2008 Mercury Mariner in March 2007. I have had nothing but problems with this vehicle. During the first 12 months, the car would stall without any warning and when I brought it into the dealer, they told me nothing was wrong with it. I had to bring it in an additional two times before they fixed it correctly. Recently, I was driving on Interstate 80 going about 65 when the car completely stalled again without warning and reduced in speed rapidly. This car is not reliable. I will never buy a Mercury, Lincoln or Ford ever again. Stay away from this one.

Glad I went with the Mercury
By DMS

2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my vehicle since November of 2008. Initially I was interested in the Ford Escape, but I realized I liked the style of the Mercury Mariner better. I really have no complaints so far. The gas mileage is about 20 MPG. I had some concerns about not being able to engage the 4 wheel drive manually, but it was great for me this winter and I had no problems in the snow. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone wanting a small SUV.

Very peppy around town Love the blue illuminated gauges Love the moonroof Gas mileage is not that bad Was good in winter

Only 1 suggestion is the placement of the windshield cleaner spouts. When the fluid shoots out some of the fluid pools on the hood of the vehicle.