Used 2008 Mercury Mariner Base SUV Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Excellent after 100,000 miles
By shihchi

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Mariner new in June 2008, trading in an '02 Escape w/ 150,000 miles on it. Now at 100,000 miles, the Mariner has had no problems. Avg. 26-29 mpg. "Hassle" of folding down back seats is nonexistent: requires 30 seconds. No big deal. Replaced noisy OEM Continental tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, and little, if any, road noise can be heard. Like the leather seats and moonroof. 1st gen. 4-cylinder, 4-spd auto trans. work well; I don't miss additional cubes or gears. Pop-open rear window very handy. Upscale ambience nice. Never experienced trans.-coolant leakage; recalled before any problems experienced. Seats very comfortable for all-day drives between Dallas and St. Louis.

Mileage, build quality, ambiance, leather seats, utility, cargo room, pop-open back window, quiet tires.

Love this small SUV
By NewMercuryowner

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in my huge Yukon for this Mariner. The gas prices were killing us, so we did our research. I love how much easier this is to drive! My case is different though, after paying one note on it, got rear ended and was nearly totaled.

I love the blue display. Love the leather seats too. The gas mileage is pretty good too. Trip from Louisiana to Arkansas, got 30+ mpg.

Handles to get in. What happened to them? For a 4 cyclinder seems to need to get better gas mileage. Only one hook to hang clothes. Little bigger, its really not big for my family with 3 kids. Hard to find carseats for this car. Replace cheap silver dash, its horrible!

Outstanding
By James

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Mariner with 5mi on the odometer. Drove it off the lot and was very impressed with the power that the I4 motor has. I used to drive a 4cyl Honda CR-V and it didn't have the power my Mariner has. For the price I paid, the amenities you get (i.e. leather steering wheel, 6-disc changer, etc...) are well worth the purchase.

Blue dash lighting, moon roof, hidden storage compartments, changeable cargo flooring

I would suggest making the glove box a little bit bigger (deeper), provide stain guard material on the seats, and maybe change the silver color plastic interior pieces to something that doesn't show scratches as easily.

MercuryMan
By MercuryMan

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Wow! I bought this little SUV for my wife's daily driver, and I love the thing. She can't keep me out of this thing. It gets 29mpg highway and 22+ in city driving. I never travel with a hang up bag so I didn't even notice the lack of hangers in the rear. The seats are firm and comfortable. My wife opted for the Redfire exterior and stone cloth interior. I about gagged when she said tht was her preference. We owned a Mitsubushi Montero that I also liked and prior to that we owned a Toyota 4 Runner, both were excellent vehicles but the love was not there. By the way my spouse loves her Mariner as well. She just has a hard time getting behind the wheel of this great little SUV.

Moon & Tunes package, Mp3 plug, Ice Blue dash lighting, Fun to drive, comfortable and safe

I always believed this vehicle would be better served with a 6 sppe automatic transmission, I understand the 2009 has that. Marketing just does not do this vehicle justice.

Great Work Car!
By T-Man

2008 Mercury Mariner SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a Lincoln Mark LT for my Mercury Mariner to get better gas mileage to and from work. For a small SUV, I am impressed with the room and amenities provided. Stepping down to the Mercury, I still opted for leather, moon roof, and six disk CD.

Great gas mileage, good overall room, and good amenities for little money.

More engine pick-up would be nice, little sluggish.