Used 2008 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews - 67 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2008 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

199k and going strong
By Steve

2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this Mariner used with high mileage (150K) because I paid 10k less than any other Mariner or Escape in the area that was listed. It's been an absolutely fantastic vehicle. My wife and I have put another 50k on her since we bought it with multiple 8 hour+ drives (both across the country and up and down the east coast). She's never, ever let us down. Beyond basic maintenance (brakes, oil changes, tires) we haven't had to do anything. The gas mileage is fantastic considering it's an AWD V6 as well. Average 22.3 with ~24 on the highway and 18 in town. In the snow it's great, the AWD works as it should, and I've never felt like I'm losing control. If we need to haul anything we can put the back seats down and have acres of space. As for comfort, it's delightful. The leather heated seats keep you warm in the winter and are easy to clean and maintain, the A/C always blows cold, and the power windows and moonroof are great features. Overall, I would buy another one tomorrow without hesitation. I know there are some that have had issues, but ours is a true gem.

Not too bad after 128k miles
By skmcobra

2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My wife bought this car in 2010 with 81k miles.
She bought the extended warranty but I believe only needed it at around 115k miles for an oil pan leak.
Today at 128k miles the radiator coolant fans have quit running.
Ford dealer quoted me $750 parts & labor but I had done my research and found fans for $100 less at O'Reillys.
They honored the price and dropped cost to $650.
Getting it fixed today.
Over all this has been a reliable and safe car.
Great to drive in the snow with the all wheel drive.
Gets about 22-24mpg on the highway and about 17-18 in town.
I can't speak to the tranny issues many mention, but it may have been fixed before we bought it.

Burned!!!
By kingsime1

2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have bought and paid for a 2008 Mercury Mariner, and on the day I made that last payment...my 2008 Mercury Mariner literally started to fall apart!
From the "torque converter" to the cigarette lighter...you name it, and there's a problem...of which I see thousands of complaints online, yet no recalls, or any attempts by your company to right these wrongs your company has done by knowingly selling faulty products, and doing absolutely nothing about repairing these problems after you've taken the money!
I swear, I will NEVER purchase an american product (not only cars, but anything with "made in U.S.A." on it) in my life.
It's no wonder the american car companies folded to the foreigners!

My favorite features are none...sorry, but there's SO many problems with this vehicle, I can find NO joy in it. Which is sad, because it's a 2008 with no payments left, yet I feel like I've been burned! Big Time!!!

Build better products!!!

Excellent after 100,000 miles
By shihchi

2008 Mercury Mariner 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Mariner new in June 2008, trading in an '02 Escape w/ 150,000 miles on it. Now at 100,000 miles, the Mariner has had no problems. Avg. 26-29 mpg. "Hassle" of folding down back seats is nonexistent: requires 30 seconds. No big deal. Replaced noisy OEM Continental tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, and little, if any, road noise can be heard. Like the leather seats and moonroof. 1st gen. 4-cylinder, 4-spd auto trans. work well; I don't miss additional cubes or gears. Pop-open rear window very handy. Upscale ambience nice. Never experienced trans.-coolant leakage; recalled before any problems experienced. Seats very comfortable for all-day drives between Dallas and St. Louis.

Mileage, build quality, ambiance, leather seats, utility, cargo room, pop-open back window, quiet tires.

Transmission!!
By lb330011

2008 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had to participate in the recall on the transmission a couple years ago after having my car less than a year. Today I go to start it and the transmission is completely out! Never again will I buy a Ford. The customer service is horrible and of course the new transmission issue has nothing to do with them.