Used 2006 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

2006 Mariner Premium 4WD
By peter1438

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I went into this vehicle from an '05 VW Touareg and what I expected was to find a basic American truck that would be breaking down left and right. I was mistaken and I am very impressed with the Mercury, I am now thinking that the VW was the problem child. The interior is very well done, except for the cookie cutter central dash. The seats front and rear are very well done and quite comfy. I have had zero issues with the vehicle and the on road performance has been terrific. It's very nimble to control in heavy NYC traffic, terrific brakes and very good get up and go. I would highly recommend this vehicle over many foreign brands. American vehicles have caught up and surpassed.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Redo the console, but please keep everything else the way it is. It's both functional and easy to use.

Awesome Vehicle
By cn03684

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great SUV. Has excellent gas mileage compared to other SUV's in it's class. Plenty of room all around and the two toned seats make a nice touch for inside decor. Fun to drive, no complaints. Hats off to Mercury on this one, best vehicle I've ever had!

An Okay SUV
By Car Guy

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

At first, we were very happy with our Mariner. It had the nice heated leather seats, Intelligent-4WD system, and a roomy interior. However, it has gotten to a point where road noise is nearly unbearable, wind noise is too noticeable, and nearly every bump we go over is transmitted into the cabin. On the plus side, we are getting 21.5 miles per gallon, we get good comments about its exterior, and it has good handling. If you want a practical SUV, the Mariner is a good choice. If you want a comfortable SUV, look at another one.

Favorite Features

Standard heated leather seats, 4WD system, vehicle information system, nice exterior styling, good performance.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the ride and noise levels, improve interior materials, more storage space, put seat-heater buttons on the dash, faster acceleration, more horsepower.

Unhappy
By Unhappy

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased the Mariner over the Escape because of the nicer interior. The light grey seats seem to hold water stains and other stains and do not clean well. We have a very bad squeak on the rear left side - and driver's side window squeaks loudly when opened. Disappointed.

Favorite Features

Better overall interior than the Escape

Suggested Improvements

Please create an American car than can match up with foreign in terms of miles/gallon and quality.

Better Gas Milage Please
By John Holkmes

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I actually love the Mercury Mariner except when I was driving back from my brother's house last weekend the check engine light came on and the system monitor stated that there was an emission system problem and to push the start button to clear it so that is what I did and ever since I have been getting terrible fuel economy between 16 and 17 mpg when I should be getting 22 to 24 mpg I am not happy with the fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Metal pan under front and rear bumpers a 2" receiver hitch so you can utilize more options 1 1/4" just does not have all of the accessories the 2" has.