Used 2006 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

A Non so likeable SUV
By MechanicalAnimal

2006 Mercury Mariner Convenience 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I leased our 2006 Mariner for my wife in 2006 in an effort to find a more economical replacement for her 2003 Nissan Pathfinder. I thought she would be able to live with a smaller sized four-cylinder SUV. I was sorely mistaken. She almost immediately complained about the lack of power. After spending time behind the wheel myself, I must admit the engine is not powerful enough for that size/weight vehicle. Furthermore the brakes are substandard in wet conditions and the gas tank is too small which results in having to hit the gas station more often than one would like. Overall not a fun vehicle to drive. My first (and probably last) Ford Motor Company product.

Vehicle styling appeals to my eye. Nice two-tone colored seats. Above average fit & finish.

4 cylinder is very weak! Gas tank is too small. Braking in wet conditions is unacceptable.

Great mid-size suv
By dr

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this SUV brand new. Ride is very good. Handles well. I live on west side of Michigan where we get a ton of lake-effect snow. The AWD is great in winter. Only couple of small negatives: road noise-possibly due to the stock Continental tires and I wish gas mileage was a little better.

Interior styling, ride, the way it handles in snowy conditions, priced less than foreign made SUVs

Better gas mileage, less road noise

Practical and Dependable
By AtlantaMariner

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car fresh out of college in 2006 and so far, no complaints. This is not the flashiest car on the road, but there are several times when I pat myself on the back for choosing this one. I disagree with any owner that criticizes engine power because for the size and amount of money, this thing has some punch to it. I am approaching 40,000 miles and I have had no mechanical issues what-so-ever. Overall, I rate this car very dependable, practical and a great every-day ride. My best friend even bought one because she liked mine.

Numerical entry pad on the driver door is a life saver! Forget OnStar! Seats lay down easily to create great cargo area, great for dogs. Engine power is a plus. Sun roof is great. Automatic lights are also great, especially when pulling into parking garages, etc

Upgrade the sound system! Loose the old-school antenna. Seat warmer switches are in a bad location and stay on after the car is turned off. I have had irregular tire wear which causes the road noise to intensify significantly

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier
By len.adler

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Since delivery this car has been fun to drive, and without mechanical defect. It's higher position enables seeing over sedans in a traffic line. It is nimble and comfortable. The mpg average of 20-25 on the highway is disappointing in today's gasoline prices. Five passengers can travel comfortably, and the back section is great for our black lab, even on long trips.

The window on the rear hatch opens separately from the hatch itself.

Improve gas mileage.

Not Up to Par
By vanz73

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is an okay vehicle after 20K miles. My prior vehicles were a Ford Explorer and Expedition. I loved both of these. The Mariner is decent. Low priced compared to competitors (about $3K less than the Japanese models). Would I buy it again? No. The continuously variable transmission robs a great deal of power from the engine. It has had several issues that were covered by warranty except one that the mechanic has yet to fix (the gas pump keeps turning off before it is full even at the slowest setting). The vehicle often struggles trying to accelerate at highway speeds (40 to 70 mph range).

Good visibilty for driver. Rocking stereo.

Either improve gas mileage or improve the transmission - worst of both worlds - weak gas mileage and weak acceleration at highway speeds. Would have preferred stereo controls on the steering wheel rather than rarely used speed controls.