Used 2006 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Jason

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Seriously the worst vehicle I have ever had. 40,000 miles the transmission blew and needed a completely new one with no help from Ford due to the warranty ending at 36K. Now the front end is starting to go and the brakes are shot. I can't wait to get rid of this car.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Everything

3rd Car I've Owned and Best Yet!
By Elmz11

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As a 21 year old commuter student going to college full-time, I needed to trade up to an SUV after getting stuck in the snow numerous times in my 05 Hyundai Elantra. I was weary about buying a used vehicle (seeing that I bought my first car brand new) but I LOVE THIS SUV!! I ditched the JUNK Continental tires that all these Escapes and Mariners come with from the factory and got Michelin Cross Terrain's put on. Night and Day! Get compliments on the interior all the time (two-tone black and creme). Average 19-20 mpg in mostly highway driving and it does have some power behind it. Have put on 19,000 miles in just 8 months and it has been rock solid! (now at 57,000 miles)

Favorite Features

Interior design which is far nicer then the Escape's, Stereo with 6 speakers is great, Pretty good on gas. Excellent in snow, NEPA got slammed with a foot of snow and this thing plowed right through it!

Suggested Improvements

Engine noise and more padding in the seats! Side Note: Take care of your vehicle (oil every 3k, transmission fluid and fuel filter every 20K) and your vehicle WILL last!! Maintenance is KEY!!!

A Mercury Story
By A_MAN_in _VA.

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this vehicle, used from the local dealership, and found it to be a cute little vehicle. I liked the stylings, but after having a Ford Ranger XLT that had the Overdrive Off button flashing, and knowing the troubles that it could bring first hand, I was displeased. I was so hoping to get a vehicle made by Ford that did not have this button. It really serves no purpose in holding back downhill. I prefer to leave it in the normal position. I have heard some loud noises from the transmission. This makes me wonder why its clunking so hard. I do know it is fun to drive, but I still worry it could let me down someday in the future.

Favorite Features

Sun Roof, Brightness of the Headlamps, seats and dash.. Love the way it handles, and the turning radius.

Suggested Improvements

Make the transmission better,and the lighting inside better. Just a suggestion to Fords Better Ideas.

What did I do????
By Stacy

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 3 weeks ago, and am thinking I may have made a big mistake. I traded in my 2004 Toyota corolla with 26,000 miles for this vehicle 2 years newer with 53,000 miles. Typical woman I was cuz I took one look at it and thought it was SO CUTE!!!! Plus, I always wanted a little SUV. A week and a half after I got it, I needed a new Alternator. Now, my husband thinks I have a small oil leak. I guess time will tell. I do know that someone must have gotten a great little toyota. Never had any problems with that car!! Oh well, ladies, don't be fooled by the cuteness!!

Favorite Features

It's SO CUTE!!! I like sitting up high

Lovin My Mariner!
By Nick

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 4 months ago with 38K miles, just clicked over to 50K today! Took two trips to South Carolina (about 1600 miles roundtrip) and averaged 23 MPG with cruise set between 70-80mph. Got rid of the JUNK stock Continentals and bought All-Terrain tires with a high treadwear rating. Difference between these and the Continentals is night and day! Love the interior (black and creme tu-tone) and get compliments on it all the time. Would buy again for sure. Radio is fantastic,and the keypad entry is great for those times when you don't want to carry your keys with you! Only major complaint is the lack of available power after 55 MPH and not being able to get more than 275-280 miles/tank.

Favorite Features

Interior appearance, keypad entry, firm yet comfortable seats, sunroof, easy to park, tight turning radius, excellent radio. Haven't had a single problem with it yet (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Suggested Improvements

Outside temp gauge (available on new ones), larger fuel tank, quieter engine, smooth out the ride, illuminated cruise control buttons; other Fords/Mercury's have them lit, not sure why the Escape/Mariner do not?