Used 2006 Mercury Mariner SUV Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

On its final legs for trade-in ;-(
By Robert

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned the Mariner new in 2006. I had only one problem while it was still under warranty and it was the lift gate door window lock. Around the 148K mark, I had ongoing repairs list. I had the ignition coils on two cylinders go and plus the computer go bad which caused the short. This was two years ago and cost me about 2K. Along the way till now I had exhaust leak, power steering pump replacement, two ball joints and three battery replacements.

This weekend, the #1 cylinder was miss-firing and took it to the mechanic for repairs. He found a low pressure reading on the cylinder head and replaced the spark-plugs. He also cleaned the valve heads and it regained compression in the cylinder. Two days later, I get the code for a bad ignition coil on number 4 and a bad computer again. It is now time to say good bye to the beloved Mercury Mariner. I had a great running truck for the last 10 years and it lasted pretty long with the general preventive maintenance schedule. FYI Never got stuck in the snow in Philadelphia.

transmission problems
By 9102

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car was great for the first 3 years then at 78,000 miles and all at once the front and rear differential went out, rear main oil seal was leaking, exhaust manifold leaking and an a/c line was leaking. $ 4800.00 later it seems to be all fixed. I really hope there are no more issues with this vehicle. I have never been a big fan of Ford products to begin with. Better off staying with the foreign brand vehicles, they seem to know how to make them last.

all wheel drive is nice in the snow

Transmission and differentials really need to be improved and made better

Happy Mariner Owner
By trublkkngt

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've been happy with our Mercury Mariner Premier.
We bought it used in 08 with 9000 miles on it.
It has been very reliable! No maintenance or repair issues.
It's perfect to haul our two small children around.
The only complaint we ever had was how LOUD the stock Continental tires were.
We replaced them with General Grabber HTS tires and it significantly improved the ride quailty.
If you have a Mariner, Escape or Tribute, do yourself a favor and dump the stock Continitental Tires as soon as you can!

Reliable. No shakes or rattles.

Better fuel economy? However, didn't want a 4 cyl or a hybrid, so I can't really complain about the fuel economy!

Great Small SUV
By Happy Owner

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great little SUV. I used to drive Explorers. Bought this to get better gas millage for a Minneapolis driving. Great in the snow and super reliable. Get rid of the Continental stock tires and it is very quite comfortable to drive. I have had zero problems, but do regular maintenance. Love the radio/6cd player, and leather. Love it Love it Love it. I would recommend to anyone

Radio, Leather, AWD, Automatic Headlights, etc...

Slightly bigger gas tank..

Jessica
By jessica

2006 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after the escape I had transmission went on it at 80,000 miles didn't have this one a year and the transmission went very disappointed good thing it was still covered in the warranty don't think I will buy ford products ever again.