2006 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:
transmission problems
By 9102 on 03/29/13 20:48 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car was great for the first 3 years then at 78,000 miles and all at once the front and rear differential went out, rear main oil seal was leaking, exhaust manifold leaking and an a/c line was leaking. $ 4800.00 later it seems to be all fixed. I really hope there are no more issues with this vehicle. I have never been a big fan of Ford products to begin with. Better off staying with the foreign brand vehicles, they seem to know how to make them last.

Happy Mariner Owner
By trublkkngt on 12/31/10 13:10 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've been happy with our Mercury Mariner Premier. We bought it used in 08 with 9000 miles on it. It has been very reliable! No maintenance or repair issues. It's perfect to haul our two small children around. The only complaint we ever had was how LOUD the stock Continental tires were. We replaced them with General Grabber HTS tires and it significantly improved the ride quailty. If you have a Mariner, Escape or Tribute, do yourself a favor and dump the stock Continitental Tires as soon as you can!

Great Small SUV
By Happy Owner on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great little SUV. I used to drive Explorers. Bought this to get better gas millage for a Minneapolis driving. Great in the snow and super reliable. Get rid of the Continental stock tires and it is very quite comfortable to drive. I have had zero problems, but do regular maintenance. Love the radio/6cd player, and leather. Love it Love it Love it. I would recommend to anyone

Jessica
By jessica on 08/09/10 17:29 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after the escape I had transmission went on it at 80,000 miles didn't have this one a year and the transmission went very disappointed good thing it was still covered in the warranty don't think I will buy ford products ever again.

Be Prepared for a Rough Ride
By Rough Rider! on 06/29/10 12:20 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car used and was very impressed with the overall style of the the car from first sight. The car runs excellent, sound system meets standards as well. Not very impressed with where the seat warmer buttons are since the passenger seat automatically turns on when someone gets in and the loudness of the car is overwhelming. Takes ALL bumps big or small very hard. There seems to be no give in the suspension or shocks when riding over any thing that disrupts the smoothness in the asphalt. Does not handle water very well either. Likes to hydroplane even in the smallest amount of water. Not recommended for any type of off roading! Also very poor fuel mileage

Worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Jason on 03/29/10 11:34 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Seriously the worst vehicle I have ever had. 40,000 miles the transmission blew and needed a completely new one with no help from Ford due to the warranty ending at 36K. Now the front end is starting to go and the brakes are shot. I can't wait to get rid of this car.

3rd Car I've Owned and Best Yet!
By Elmz11 on 03/14/10 09:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As a 21 year old commuter student going to college full-time, I needed to trade up to an SUV after getting stuck in the snow numerous times in my 05 Hyundai Elantra. I was weary about buying a used vehicle (seeing that I bought my first car brand new) but I LOVE THIS SUV!! I ditched the JUNK Continental tires that all these Escapes and Mariners come with from the factory and got Michelin Cross Terrain's put on. Night and Day! Get compliments on the interior all the time (two-tone black and creme). Average 19-20 mpg in mostly highway driving and it does have some power behind it. Have put on 19,000 miles in just 8 months and it has been rock solid! (now at 57,000 miles)

A Mercury Story
By A_MAN_in _VA. on 02/16/10 19:17 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recently purchased this vehicle, used from the local dealership, and found it to be a cute little vehicle. I liked the stylings, but after having a Ford Ranger XLT that had the Overdrive Off button flashing, and knowing the troubles that it could bring first hand, I was displeased. I was so hoping to get a vehicle made by Ford that did not have this button. It really serves no purpose in holding back downhill. I prefer to leave it in the normal position. I have heard some loud noises from the transmission. This makes me wonder why its clunking so hard. I do know it is fun to drive, but I still worry it could let me down someday in the future.

What did I do????
By Stacy on 11/10/09 14:10 PM (PST)

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle 3 weeks ago, and am thinking I may have made a big mistake. I traded in my 2004 Toyota corolla with 26,000 miles for this vehicle 2 years newer with 53,000 miles. Typical woman I was cuz I took one look at it and thought it was SO CUTE!!!! Plus, I always wanted a little SUV. A week and a half after I got it, I needed a new Alternator. Now, my husband thinks I have a small oil leak. I guess time will tell. I do know that someone must have gotten a great little toyota. Never had any problems with that car!! Oh well, ladies, don't be fooled by the cuteness!!

Lovin My Mariner!
By Nick on 10/15/09 15:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought 4 months ago with 38K miles, just clicked over to 50K today! Took two trips to South Carolina (about 1600 miles roundtrip) and averaged 23 MPG with cruise set between 70-80mph. Got rid of the JUNK stock Continentals and bought All-Terrain tires with a high treadwear rating. Difference between these and the Continentals is night and day! Love the interior (black and creme tu-tone) and get compliments on it all the time. Would buy again for sure. Radio is fantastic,and the keypad entry is great for those times when you don't want to carry your keys with you! Only major complaint is the lack of available power after 55 MPH and not being able to get more than 275-280 miles/tank.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.