Used 2006 Mercury Mariner Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mariner

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Still Rolling Along @ 371,538 Miles
By Bill W

2006 Mercury Mariner Convenience 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I am the original owner of my 2006 Mercury Mariner SUV (4 Cylinder / 4WD). I purchased it brand new back in 2006. It has been my daily driver to and from work, I drive 92 miles each way in good weather and bad weather. I wanted to share my feelings, this has got to be the BEST VEHICLE that I ever purchased. I am very proactive on maintaining my vehicle, I have changed the oil every 5k miles along with tire rotations, knock on wood that I have not really had anything major happen since buying it other than replacing the tires, front brakes, back brakes only 1X, the serpentine belt 1x, plugs 2x, the battery 1x, the windshield from a stone crack, the alternator 1x, wiper blades many times and the AC Compressor just died, no biggie ..... Also back in 2010 I got rear ended and I thought the insurance company would have considered it a total loss, they ended up paying more for repairs that the value of the vehicle, crazy ! My paint is smooth as glass and the interior is pretty much mint, I really keep it detailed all the time ! Mercury did a great job on the build on this vehicle, I would purchase another if they continued selling them, but the product line got the axe. The engine runs awesome and the transmission is perfect ! Yes, I had the fluid drained from the tranny 2x, no pressure flush, just a drain and fill, same with radiator, no pressure flush, just drain and fill, fluids always look clean. Thank You, Mercury !

On its final legs for trade-in ;-(
By Robert

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I owned the Mariner new in 2006. I had only one problem while it was still under warranty and it was the lift gate door window lock. Around the 148K mark, I had ongoing repairs list. I had the ignition coils on two cylinders go and plus the computer go bad which caused the short. This was two years ago and cost me about 2K. Along the way till now I had exhaust leak, power steering pump replacement, two ball joints and three battery replacements.

This weekend, the #1 cylinder was miss-firing and took it to the mechanic for repairs. He found a low pressure reading on the cylinder head and replaced the spark-plugs. He also cleaned the valve heads and it regained compression in the cylinder. Two days later, I get the code for a bad ignition coil on number 4 and a bad computer again. It is now time to say good bye to the beloved Mercury Mariner. I had a great running truck for the last 10 years and it lasted pretty long with the general preventive maintenance schedule. FYI Never got stuck in the snow in Philadelphia.

transmission problems
By 9102

2006 Mercury Mariner Luxury 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Car was great for the first 3 years then at 78,000 miles and all at once the front and rear differential went out, rear main oil seal was leaking, exhaust manifold leaking and an a/c line was leaking. $ 4800.00 later it seems to be all fixed. I really hope there are no more issues with this vehicle. I have never been a big fan of Ford products to begin with. Better off staying with the foreign brand vehicles, they seem to know how to make them last.

all wheel drive is nice in the snow

Transmission and differentials really need to be improved and made better

Happy Mariner Owner
By trublkkngt

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We've been happy with our Mercury Mariner Premier.
We bought it used in 08 with 9000 miles on it.
It has been very reliable! No maintenance or repair issues.
It's perfect to haul our two small children around.
The only complaint we ever had was how LOUD the stock Continental tires were.
We replaced them with General Grabber HTS tires and it significantly improved the ride quailty.
If you have a Mariner, Escape or Tribute, do yourself a favor and dump the stock Continitental Tires as soon as you can!

Reliable. No shakes or rattles.

Better fuel economy? However, didn't want a 4 cyl or a hybrid, so I can't really complain about the fuel economy!

Great Small SUV
By Happy Owner

2006 Mercury Mariner Premier 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a great little SUV. I used to drive Explorers. Bought this to get better gas millage for a Minneapolis driving. Great in the snow and super reliable. Get rid of the Continental stock tires and it is very quite comfortable to drive. I have had zero problems, but do regular maintenance. Love the radio/6cd player, and leather. Love it Love it Love it. I would recommend to anyone

Radio, Leather, AWD, Automatic Headlights, etc...

Slightly bigger gas tank..