Used 2005 Mercury Mariner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mercury Mariner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner model:

Love my daily driver w/180K+
By spchambers03

2005 Mercury Mariner SUV Luxury AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

we bought this feb. 06 with 7,000 miles on it, and started putting around 12k a year. strating in 08, new job, i started putting around 45-50K miles a year!(any and every weather condition you can throw at it, from bumper to bumper in the heat, to 18-30inch snow storms, and brutal -0 cold, and any type of road conditions, from interstate driving, to farm/logging roads, to putting the GREAT AWD system to use and foraging my own roads!) I currently have 182k miles and running strong, i religiously change my 5w-20 (summer months, 10w-30 winter months) Pennzoil SYNTHETIC oil every 5k miles, and FRAM extra tough filter every 10k miles. aswell as my fuel filter every 20k miles! plugs and wires

Favorite Features

have only been changed once. ( due to one of the few flaws, making this a 3 hr job just to change 6 plugs, because of location.) but for only being changed once in 180k isnt bad. somewhat noticable! I have always ran with the GoodYear Silent armour tires, Great all around tires. on and off road! i have upgradedshocks and stuts, greatride, and great on heavy payloads! Over all, This is an Amazing little SUV! Would love to be able to buy a 2012 and have the same luck, but to bad they are out of commission! : ( No big/major repairs ever needed, just normal wearand tear from high mile use! ive never felt so safe/confident in the winter months driving with the AWD system, amazing! Thank you!

Suggested Improvements

Keep in mind, i dont drive with a light foor at all! my carpet is worn from the pedal, and the rpms have been at the red many many times! it has reached the governor, i believe 106 it is, a handful of times, and the power is still right there at the high end! I am definitely impressed, most of my other vehicles have not lasted nearly this long, without an engine or tranny going atleast once. Amazinbg little buggy!!!

Most Reliable Car Yet!
By shane52sk

2005 Mercury Mariner SUV Convenience Fwd 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for 3 years and I can't say enough about it. I have had very few minor problems and absolutely no major problems. I am the second owner and I've had it since it had 44,000 miles. It now has 110,000. No Problems! The car drives great and I average 25mpg city driving. The car has good pick up for a 4cyl SUV. It's very comfortable and is fun and easy to drive. I have received nothing but compliments since I have owned it. If you want a vehicle that is reliable; impressive; and wows others...This is absolutely one to look at!

Favorite Features

Premium Sound system is outstanding! I also enjoy the virtually no blind spots. Its gas mileage is great for the size of the car. I like the odometer colors and I also think the 2 tone seats look great! I have received nothing but compliments since I have owned it. The vehicle also has heaters under the seats for people sitting in the back seats. It heats up quick on those cold winter days.

Suggested Improvements

The one improvement is rear air conditioning as a standard. I also think the a lot of people are having trouble changing out the yellow light bulbs on the far right and left of the cars front side (not the turn signals) I think there called running lights. In the book it says take it to the dealer to change it out. Who wants to do that. You also can not see where to change it when you pop the hood. You actually have to unscrew part of the framing around the tire to get to it. Its not too hard but not at all convenient. I have seen a lot of mariners with those lights out and I'm sure many don't know how to fix it.

Noisy
By Denise

2005 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just purchased a week ago. So far, a lot of wind noise even @ 45mph, rattling noise on passenger rear side, and it vibrates like crazy @ stoplights. Engine sounds like it's idling too high like it's ready to race. Also the windshield wipers are extremely loud!! Thumps. I took 3 months deciding if I wanted this suv or not. Wish I would have waited longer.

Favorite Features

Nicely designed, controls easy to operate, like the 6 cd player. Room enough for people over 6ft tall.

Suggested Improvements

Improve wind noise and the loud windshield wipers.

Best ever
By pastkg

2005 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Wife and I bought our 05 Mariner used only about a month and a half ago. We couldn't be happier with our purchase! bought it with 47,000 miles on it, and it preforms like new. enormous amount of room for being a small SUV. handles better than our ford focus we replaced for this. We plan to buy another Mariner (2010) when its time to say goodbye to our 05'. This SUV has all the options I could ask for and more! leather, power window, locks, seats, mirrors, heated seats, mirrors, roof mount for garage door opener & glasses, very bright visor light (great for reading & night), auto adjust rear view mirror, auto headlights, etc. This is so far the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

power seats, sunglass compartment, auto headlights. If you purchase one of these SUVs, I suggest that you go for a premier edition (if you can) - for the price, you won't be sorry! also flat folding & easily removable rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

better quality leather- showing a spot of fading, and a tad bit of wear. gets dirty easily (tan & cream two tone). this is my only complaint

Long Term Review
By Brian

2005 Mercury Mariner SUV Premier Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

In short, this has been a really pleasant vehicle for the past 5 years. This was my first SUV, I wanted something with storage but not something huge. I have a small roadster that I drive most of the summer, and every time I get back into the Mariner I'm reminded about how comfortable it is. Easy to drive & park with a very comfortable interior for short and long trips. My only problem was a radio with a defective speed sensor (which was replaced under warranty). Recommended if you're looking for a small SUV.

Favorite Features

Leather seats are comfortable and have held up well. Very comfortable. I never thought I'd care about heated seats, but they're fantastic. Stereo sounds good, large moonroof. Heat & AC are excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Better acceleration, better gas mileage, quieter tires, less conservative dash design. I believe most of these have been addressed with the latest redesign.