I really want to love it, but 4 years later...
By teknooh on
2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
After owning mine for 4+ years, I've had more problems than I expected. Most recently, the air conditioning system is being repaired for a second time, and the cost of this repair exceeds what the dealership is authorized to provide (so it has to be Ford approved). Other fun includes a sensor under the front passenger seat failed and had to be replaced, and early on the SYNC software had to be wiped and completely reinstalled. Since about 30K miles I've had it in several times for a popping noise (like a bad knee joint) under the hood, and each time they've replaced some other part that was going bad but, the noise still persists. Unfixable I guess. Thank god for extended warranties!
Favorite Features
It's such a comfortable and well-appointed vehicle that I find myself still loving it...at least while it's under warranty. I feel very safe in it, and have never had a problem navigating a Minnesota winter, even though it's only FWD. Our dog loves the cargo area and has claimed it as his own, and I get an average of probably 32 mpg overall, and 36 mpg on an occasional tank during ideal seasonal conditions. Naturally the mileage is considerably worse during the harshest winter months (only about 28 mpg), but most of the rest of the year I get stellar mileage. The tires are now over 60K and still good according to my mechanic (NOT the dealership). The audio options truly are limitless.
Suggested Improvements
To be truthful, I'm just disappointed with the number of times I've had this in the shop, sort of reminiscent of the quality Mercury was putting out in the 80s. This was my first American-made car and it cost $36K, and I had more problems with it than any of my previous Japanese cars costing under $20K. That should just be embarrassing to Ford. Were it not for the problems I had, I would say there literally is not a single thing I would criticize about this vehicle except maybe the fact that the seat warmers don't turn off automatically (and how trivial is that).