2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner Hybrid model:
I really want to love it, but 4 years later...
By teknooh on 07/10/13 06:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning mine for 4+ years, I've had more problems than I expected. Most recently, the air conditioning system is being repaired for a second time, and the cost of this repair exceeds what the dealership is authorized to provide (so it has to be Ford approved). Other fun includes a sensor under the front passenger seat failed and had to be replaced, and early on the SYNC software had to be wiped and completely reinstalled. Since about 30K miles I've had it in several times for a popping noise (like a bad knee joint) under the hood, and each time they've replaced some other part that was going bad but, the noise still persists. Unfixable I guess. Thank god for extended warranties!

Great Vehicle, Minor Flaws
By BC on 10/30/09 21:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for almost 3 months now, and am very pleased with it. I average 31.3mpg with about 60/40 mix of city/highway driving. I really love driving this vehicle, and its very agile and easy to park. I'm 6'-3" and it still has plenty of room and is easy to get in and out of. Lumbar adjust is useless and obstructed by center console. TIP--If you notice that your engine does not turn off at stop lights, turn your window defroster off. The tilt wheel has very limited range adjustment upward. The mpg is great and varies only slightly between highway & city. UHAUL makes a drill-free hitch for this vehicle and it is useful for a needed hitch-hauler cargo carrier for trips.

Bob's Review
By Bob on 10/27/09 21:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have enjoyed seeing the remaining mileage change slowly while the average mileage builds from the 22 that it started at to over 29 for the kind of driving that I do. Still push it, having traded in a Lincoln LS for this vehicle. It feels stable for an SUV, having driven a few. Quiet is nice. With Hybrid we did not expect as much as we have gotten with drivability. This is a nice vehicle.

Overpriced
By JM on 08/14/09 20:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good, safe, quality car way overpriced due to dealers ordering with every possible ridiculous option. For example-"ambient lighting" which I thought cheap/cheesy-something I might have liked when I was 16 rather than an adult. Nav. system is $2000-buy garmin instead or plug laptop into included outlet and use mapquest on the 3+ yrs of wireless you could buy w/ $2k you save. Nav. system includes dvd player that of course only works if you are in park because you can't be trusted that only passengers and not the driver will watch. 10Gig hard drive to hold all your music but only transfer is one CD at a time (no ipod/MP3 xfer), about 10 min/CD. No backup when hard drive fails! Bargain hard!

Much Fun, Little Gas
By JM in Killeen on 01/23/09 13:40 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned the car just over 1 month and love the mileage I am getting. So far I am averaging 32.3 mpg overall, over 34 MPG with me driving, 29+ with my wife driving (lead foot). I was very surprised with the accereration of the hybrid system, I test drove the v6 model prior to ordering the hybrid system to see how I liked the overall car and I believe the hybrid is quicker. The passenger space is comparable to larger SUVs, but lacks cargo room for long trips. I would like to see more options, color and materials, for the interior, especially for the primere package. Satillite radio, NAV, sync are all top notch and work well. Overall, a very fun, solid SUV. Great MPG as well as performance.

Great SUV
By JG on 12/31/08 19:18 PM (PST)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted to wait until I got to drive this in the snow to give it a full review - and now I have here in New England. I have been very happily surprised in nearly every aspect of this car, from its handling and braking, to its fuel economy, to its overall comfort - in all of them it has excelled. The Navigation and Sync systems are outstanding and fun to explore, with easy-to-use podcasts and music and hands-free phone all projected through speakers, as well as real time traffic re-routing. And it does just fine even in deep snow.

2009 AWD MMH
By bikerrich on 10/02/08 11:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had it about a month now; enjoying the mileage and the kick of trying to keep it on battery. Nice car for the price. A bit wallowy. Can't take curves at 60. Suspension needs some improvement. Brake pedal feels fine, don't notice any difference from my other cars.

Fun to drive
By PghHybrid on 09/29/08 12:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned my Mariner Hybrid for a little over two weeks, got 37mpg out of first tank, 34mpg with highway and city on second tank. Very impressed with this vehicle, love the Nav with Sync and Sirius. Mercury hit a home run with this one. Rides very nice, comfortable with loads of front leg room.

Fun to drive
By Tom, Pgh on 09/22/08 09:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this vehicle a week ago, and I'm really enjoying it. I averaged 37mpg on the first tank of gas, mostly city but some highway travel. Still learning the hybrid and how to maximize mileage, but I'm having fun doing it. The Nav system with the Sync and Sirius is awesome, it does so much. Very tight, handles well and runs well. The small engine has some pep, alittle noisy when you punch it down, but it handles the hills of Pittsburgh with ease.

Well worth the wait
By shoreRN on 09/19/08 05:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We have had the car for 2 weeks, and love it. The nav system and Sync work great. Ride is smooth and very car like, plenty of power when you need it, and great economy we are averaging 33 mpg so far. The park assist is great, wish it offered an led proximity display, and a back up camera. Plenty of room in the back seat for bigger guys, and cargo room is descent.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Suv in WA is:

$145 per month*