Used 2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner Hybrid model:

I really want to love it, but 4 years later...
By teknooh

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

After owning mine for 4+ years, I've had more problems than I expected. Most recently, the air conditioning system is being repaired for a second time, and the cost of this repair exceeds what the dealership is authorized to provide (so it has to be Ford approved). Other fun includes a sensor under the front passenger seat failed and had to be replaced, and early on the SYNC software had to be wiped and completely reinstalled. Since about 30K miles I've had it in several times for a popping noise (like a bad knee joint) under the hood, and each time they've replaced some other part that was going bad but, the noise still persists. Unfixable I guess. Thank god for extended warranties!

It's such a comfortable and well-appointed vehicle that I find myself still loving it...at least while it's under warranty. I feel very safe in it, and have never had a problem navigating a Minnesota winter, even though it's only FWD. Our dog loves the cargo area and has claimed it as his own, and I get an average of probably 32 mpg overall, and 36 mpg on an occasional tank during ideal seasonal conditions. Naturally the mileage is considerably worse during the harshest winter months (only about 28 mpg), but most of the rest of the year I get stellar mileage. The tires are now over 60K and still good according to my mechanic (NOT the dealership). The audio options truly are limitless.

To be truthful, I'm just disappointed with the number of times I've had this in the shop, sort of reminiscent of the quality Mercury was putting out in the 80s. This was my first American-made car and it cost $36K, and I had more problems with it than any of my previous Japanese cars costing under $20K. That should just be embarrassing to Ford. Were it not for the problems I had, I would say there literally is not a single thing I would criticize about this vehicle except maybe the fact that the seat warmers don't turn off automatically (and how trivial is that).

Great Vehicle, Minor Flaws
By BC

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had this car for almost 3 months now, and am very pleased with it. I average 31.3mpg with about 60/40 mix of city/highway driving. I really love driving this vehicle, and its very agile and easy to park. I'm 6'-3" and it still has plenty of room and is easy to get in and out of. Lumbar adjust is useless and obstructed by center console. TIP--If you notice that your engine does not turn off at stop lights, turn your window defroster off. The tilt wheel has very limited range adjustment upward. The mpg is great and varies only slightly between highway & city. UHAUL makes a drill-free hitch for this vehicle and it is useful for a needed hitch-hauler cargo carrier for trips.

Synch with cell phone, moonroof, navigation, dvd player, jukebox radio feature, radio weather & movie guide, and the ultra deep center console with bin removed, and separate driver/ passenger climate controls, nice aluminum wheel design.

The driver lumbar adjustment is hard to adjust and does not appear to make any difference. Also, the body panels do not fit properly at the rear bumper skin (lifted on one end) and rear hatch (not centered and leaves a big gap on one side). This reflects poor wormanship on a very expensive vehicle.

Bob's Review
By Bob

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have enjoyed seeing the remaining mileage change slowly while the average mileage builds from the 22 that it started at to over 29 for the kind of driving that I do. Still push it, having traded in a Lincoln LS for this vehicle. It feels stable for an SUV, having driven a few. Quiet is nice. With Hybrid we did not expect as much as we have gotten with drivability. This is a nice vehicle.

Sync, mileage, leather, sound is comfortable with less outside and vehicle noise.

Add dark wood to steering wheel and some surfaces that are aluminum now and easily scratched. Aesthetics sells and it just wasn't an option in what I saw.

Overpriced
By JM

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Good, safe, quality car way overpriced due to dealers ordering with every possible ridiculous option. For example-"ambient lighting" which I thought cheap/cheesy-something I might have liked when I was 16 rather than an adult. Nav. system is $2000-buy garmin instead or plug laptop into included outlet and use mapquest on the 3+ yrs of wireless you could buy w/ $2k you save. Nav. system includes dvd player that of course only works if you are in park because you can't be trusted that only passengers and not the driver will watch. 10Gig hard drive to hold all your music but only transfer is one CD at a time (no ipod/MP3 xfer), about 10 min/CD. No backup when hard drive fails! Bargain hard!

I like rugged look. Best mpg anywhere for 4WD although you will NEVER make up savings even without all extra crap they load on this car unless you keep 150k+ miles. I had to buy off lot so got $3500 unwanted options to get $4500 clunker savings. Govt will now let you order-too bad for me, good 4 u.

- Increase production and/or allow people to order with fewer options - Provide more/better music xfer options - Make the fold away mirrors really fold away completely instead of just a little. - More storage: where should I put my jumper cables? Glove compartment can barely hold the owners manual.

Much Fun, Little Gas
By JM in Killeen

2009 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned the car just over 1 month and love the mileage I am getting. So far I am averaging 32.3 mpg overall, over 34 MPG with me driving, 29+ with my wife driving (lead foot). I was very surprised with the accereration of the hybrid system, I test drove the v6 model prior to ordering the hybrid system to see how I liked the overall car and I believe the hybrid is quicker. The passenger space is comparable to larger SUVs, but lacks cargo room for long trips. I would like to see more options, color and materials, for the interior, especially for the primere package. Satillite radio, NAV, sync are all top notch and work well. Overall, a very fun, solid SUV. Great MPG as well as performance.

SYNC, nav, and the hybrid system all perform well. Exceeded my expectations. I expected a drop off in performance due to the hybrid system, but there was none. Merge and pass without fear.

More options, specifically colors for the interior. Better interior materials, especially for the primere package. Top package should be close to the quality you get in the MKX.