2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic Consumer Review - Pretty Good SUV

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid - Consumer Review

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Base 4dr SUV (2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic)

Pretty Good SUV
By arockcastle on

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this SUV because it met my needs perfectly. It got good fuel economy, had four-wheel-drive, and was still big enough for me to fit me and my stuff. Despite this, the car isn't always that comfortable. The ride is bumpy, and there is a lot of engine, wind, and road noise. The exterior styling looks pretty boring, and the interior materials feel cheap. So far, I'm getting about 30 MPG in the winter and 35 MPG in the summer (mostly highway driving). Overall I'm happy with this car, but I can't say I would recommend it. There are many cheaper cars that are more comfortable and get almost as good of fuel economy, like the Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, or even a new 2012 Ford Focus.

Favorite Features

Very good fuel economy, lots of rear seat and cargo room, many cool bells and whistles (such as a navigation system).

Suggested Improvements

Ride could be better, wish there was less noise, not that fun to drive, exterior is not very stylish, many interior materials feel cheap.