2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mariner Hybrid model:
Cargo area above the battery catches fire
By tonyrita on 03/06/13 11:07 AM (PST)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Mercury Mariner for 5 years and had no issues other than a new set of tires and brakes. Last week after making a local trip, I parked my Mariner in the garage and 2 hours later the car caught fire and burned most of my garage and my wifes car. I'm warning current and future owners of this car so nobody else has to go through this pain.

Pretty Good SUV
By arockcastle on 05/15/11 12:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this SUV because it met my needs perfectly. It got good fuel economy, had four-wheel-drive, and was still big enough for me to fit me and my stuff. Despite this, the car isn't always that comfortable. The ride is bumpy, and there is a lot of engine, wind, and road noise. The exterior styling looks pretty boring, and the interior materials feel cheap. So far, I'm getting about 30 MPG in the winter and 35 MPG in the summer (mostly highway driving). Overall I'm happy with this car, but I can't say I would recommend it. There are many cheaper cars that are more comfortable and get almost as good of fuel economy, like the Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, or even a new 2012 Ford Focus.

Wow... What a great value and fun car
By carricrf on 03/28/11 06:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Was searching for a good value in a used Hybrid car. Was concerned about performance, price and reliability. Did my research on this car and was very impressed with performance, handling, features and style. I would highly recommend and would suggest that if interested, you take one for a drive and see what I mean. I have a Fusion that I like as well, but this really has been a great choice! Performs like a powerful 6 cyl, but gets 30+ MPG combined milage (my real experience). Comfortable and gets positive comments from my family and friends like it was a New Car!

My three years with the Mariner Hybrid
By satisfied7 on 02/11/11 10:57 AM (PST)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I put a lot of miles on my car with my sales job. When I first drove one, the seats fit me comfortably and it sat nicely. up high and with good back support. After three years, I couldn't be happier. I average 30.5 miles per gallon on my half highway, half city driving and it's peppy enough for me at the age of 56. I love my Sirius radio along with my navigation system. It won't have the pickup of cars I've owned in the past but how often do you really need it. When I've needed it, it responded adequately. I've put 105,000 miles on it in just over three years and all I've done is get the oil changed and kept up with the required maintenance at my dealer. I love it.

You've got to be kidding!
By Disappointed on 08/03/10 19:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I recently acquired a 2008 Mariner with 25K miles. I could not imagine a more uncomfortable and noisy vehicle. The vehicle is extremely loud as the variable drive whines and the engine roars when engaged. The car in general is just loud. This car is loaded with leather, NAV, etc and it is extremely uncomfortable. I have a 25 mile one-way commute and I can not get to my destination fast enough. The only good comment I can provide is that the gas mileage is great as I am averaging 29+ consistently. Test drive and compare to other vehicles in this category thoroughly before you decide (btw, this is the brother to the Ford Escape and I would expect a similar experience)

Road Noise
By ams on 06/22/09 09:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Biggest complaint about this vehicle is the road noise from below when driving. My husband, who drives a Diesel, comments every time he gets in this car about how noisy it is and I have to agree. I am surprised to see all these reviews claiming 30+ MPG. I have had this vehicle almost 2 years now and on average, 26-28 MPG is what it gets.

Best Mariner Hybrid
By HappyHybridOwnr on 06/16/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I had the Mariner for 16 months now. Excellent vehicle to drive. Averaging 31+ MPG mixed mode driving. Great vehicle with a very Roomy interior. I enjoy trying to get the best gas mileage. Traded in a GMC Safari (17+ MPG) saving lots of gas $.

Great Vehicle!
By SGOODFEL on 09/30/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I totally love my hybrid. I am averaging 30 mpg on my daily commute. What a great change from the 16-17 mpg on my Venture mini-van. Beware - you will totally become obsessed with how well your gas mileage can be. My high is 35 mpg and my low was 28 mpg (highway miles on a trip through the WV moutains). There are a couple of small things I wish it had: bluetooth and the built-in garage door opener. Other than that, the vehicle is perfect! I definitely recommend.

Just what I wanted
By Diane on 08/17/08 11:50 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Fortunately I bought this 10 months ago before gas got even worse. I love the car and being geograhpically impaired, I love the GPS navigation although I could have saved money and bought a hand held. I'm nervous about ice and snow, so I got the all wheel drive version, but still the mileage is great (over 30 consistently). Ford has a winner here, and for the price, it is very competitive with some other crossover/SUVs I looked at. My husband now wishes he had one too.

SkimpyRider
By Works4me on 07/27/08 11:53 AM (PDT)

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Pros: Excellent vehicle with surprisingly good stability-very close to Hondas' roadability. Tight turning radius a big plus. Lots of fun to drive. Cons: Center led display of time, temperatures etc. cannot be see in bright sunlight. GPS/radio screen could be brighter and crisper (higher resolution).

1 2 3 4 5 next »

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.