Used 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Mariner Hybrid model:

Above average
By rhaman

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first Ford product and the first car that had rust. Rust developed on both rear fenders on the top section. I found out this is common to Ford vehicles of this style. It has to do with the welding or how the two sections were fitted at the factory that allows moisture to collect. The vehicle is excellent. Not perfect but we wanted a fuel efficient SUV for traveling. It does that. The seats could be more comfortable. This a Premium model that comes with a $3.00 radio antenna. Handling in snow, mud is superb. With proper use of the throttle it can go about 1 mile on electric at slow speeds. I have logged 45 MPG on a 12 mile run on back roads. I average 33 MPG. My wife averages 28.

Favorite Features

The drive system, navigation, it is extremely reliable. Only issues were two ABS sensors in the front wheels that broke off and the cooling pump for the hybrid battery that on recall Ford reimbursed the $380 cost. Overall, this car has been reported to log over 500,000 miles without major issues

Suggested Improvements

Ford, a Premium car with a $3.00 antenna is beyond conceivable. As to the hybrid drive, a one more Kilowatt/hr battery would have been more deserving of this otherwise excellent vehicle. I also changed the horn to dual ones. The single horn should be illegal as it is not enough sound. As to the rust, well, the "quality" announced as a Ford priority was very poor on this and similar models. Of course, it rusted AFTER the warranty period expired.

Cargo area above the battery catches fire
By tonyrita

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've had my Mercury Mariner for 5 years and had no issues other than a new set of tires and brakes. Last week after making a local trip, I parked my Mariner in the garage and 2 hours later the car caught fire and burned most of my garage and my wifes car. I'm warning current and future owners of this car so nobody else has to go through this pain.

Pretty Good SUV
By arockcastle

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I got this SUV because it met my needs perfectly. It got good fuel economy, had four-wheel-drive, and was still big enough for me to fit me and my stuff. Despite this, the car isn't always that comfortable. The ride is bumpy, and there is a lot of engine, wind, and road noise. The exterior styling looks pretty boring, and the interior materials feel cheap. So far, I'm getting about 30 MPG in the winter and 35 MPG in the summer (mostly highway driving). Overall I'm happy with this car, but I can't say I would recommend it. There are many cheaper cars that are more comfortable and get almost as good of fuel economy, like the Subaru Forester, Toyota RAV4, or even a new 2012 Ford Focus.

Favorite Features

Very good fuel economy, lots of rear seat and cargo room, many cool bells and whistles (such as a navigation system).

Suggested Improvements

Ride could be better, wish there was less noise, not that fun to drive, exterior is not very stylish, many interior materials feel cheap.

Wow... What a great value and fun car
By carricrf

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Was searching for a good value in a used Hybrid car. Was concerned about performance, price and reliability. Did my research on this car and was very impressed with performance, handling, features and style. I would highly recommend and would suggest that if interested, you take one for a drive and see what I mean. I have a Fusion that I like as well, but this really has been a great choice! Performs like a powerful 6 cyl, but gets 30+ MPG combined milage (my real experience). Comfortable and gets positive comments from my family and friends like it was a New Car!

Favorite Features

Navigation Radio (big plus), heated leather seats soft and comfortable, audiophile radio is great sounding, chrome trim is tastful and upscales the vehicle vs it's twin Escape. The switching from electric motor to gasoline motor is seamless but fun to watch on the navigation radio screen that shows you what is going on under the hood. Quite a technological advanced car when you think of what it is doing to keep your milage as high as possible.

Suggested Improvements

Is an SUV, so road feel is there by design, I like it, but some may not.

My three years with the Mariner Hybrid
By satisfied7

2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I put a lot of miles on my car with my sales job. When I first drove one, the seats fit me comfortably and it sat nicely. up high and with good back support. After three years, I couldn't be happier. I average 30.5 miles per gallon on my half highway, half city driving and it's peppy enough for me at the age of 56. I love my Sirius radio along with my navigation system. It won't have the pickup of cars I've owned in the past but how often do you really need it. When I've needed it, it responded adequately. I've put 105,000 miles on it in just over three years and all I've done is get the oil changed and kept up with the required maintenance at my dealer. I love it.

Favorite Features

Love the steering wheel where my hands can sit at the bottom. Many cars today have it blocked down low and you have to hold on the sides. Love the comfy seats and the cup holders, adequate storage near the driver and the sirius radio and nav system.

Suggested Improvements

Would like to have had nicer wheels. Don't think they are as attractive as the base model has. Wish the back storage area had a bit more room to get my golf clubs in without putting them at an angle. Just a bit boxy looking, but not bad.