Used 2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Mariner-hybrid - Consumer Reviews

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid

Base 2.3L 4-cyl. Hybrid AWD CVT Automatic - (28 reviews )

Most Helpful|
My Last Car
By wozo

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

At age 84 I have parked my Explorer and purchased the Mariner Hybrid. I will still use the Explorer for towing my trailers. I have now driven the Hybrid slightly over 1500 miles. It has the premium accessory package including the moon roof. Fuel economy checks closely with the published figures. Overall I am getting just over 30 mpg. So far, I very much like the vehicle, it handles well on all types of roadway, it has excellent visibility, and gives a fairly comfortable ride. Acceleration is adequate. Being rather tall, I appreciate the headroom and easy access.

Favorite Features

I very much like the Energy Flow and the Fuel Economy Screens. Measured fuel consumption is checking close to the average displayed on the screen. I like the navigation system, however, it does not appear to be as accurate as others that I have used.

Suggested Improvements

The instrument cluster definitely needs improvement. The tachometer and speedometer are fine and well placed for easy reference. However the other instruments are not and the odometer is practically unreadable. I also would like an automatic headlight dimmer.

Good to Go!
By Cone Maddox

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I sold my Hummer H-3 and purchased the Mercury Hybrid with 4-wheel drive. Twice + the mileage and I can see the other cars. Not too good off-road but a lot quicker than you would think on the street. The old black lab finds it easier to hop into the back. No problems whatever, so far. Got 30+ MPG last fill-up. Nice truck. It seems good to go!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Navigation System

Suggested Improvements

Needs a better 4X4 system. Forget the car like ride.

Very nice hybrid SUV
By JBC

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Traded in a Jeep Grand Cherokee (6-cyl) for it. Going from 17 to 29 MPG is a great jump. The ride is comfortable in the city, but with bumpy roads some suspension noise is noticeable. The acceleration is good in the city but the powertrain is not as peppy on the highway; it takes some time to get to the speed you want, but is fine at cruising.

Favorite Features

The hybrid system (obviously), and the interior room doesn't seem different than the Grand Cherokee I had. The headroom is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Things that would make it better would be to include an auxiliary input (1/8) jack for mp3 players, and maybe a larger 4 cyl. with cylinder deactivation to give one power when needed. Some of these probably have already been addressed in later models.

excellent buy
By dmich

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

well built suv, fun to drive very affordable price and great gas mileage, fords should build more of the these.

Stealthy Marketing?????
By Thom

2006 Mercury Mariner Hybrid 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I went to check out the Escape - never heard of the Mariner -and found this one on the lot (a return, or a reject?). After a couple of thousand miles I still really enjoy the experience of the drive. My boys love it (they hated the Odyssey we traded in) and it has become my commute vehicle and the one we thrash around in on weekends. A bit small luggage carrying-wise so we picked up a Yakima luggage carrier. I would love to hear if anyone has really driven it on soft sand. I am a little suspect of that claim.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, nimble handling, economy (week and a half between fill-ups), sound system is great, too. Moonroof was not something I wanted - now I need it. : )

Suggested Improvements

Lights should flicker, like my F-150, when I unlock it so I can find it in a parking lot. Better LCD read-outs for old people with bad eyesite. Braille readouts on the NAV system (just kidding).