2003 Mercury Marauder - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.6L V8 4-speed Automatic - (93 reviews )
My Favorite Car
By jdgrules on 02/02/13 11:03 AM (PST)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I had always wanted a Marauder after seeing it in 2002 as a concept. Finally over a year I had a chance to pick one up with 11k on it! Its been the best car i've ever owned, never breaks down and ive done oil changes, tires (which are expensive), and add an k/n intake/exhaust and yes it's a little slow outta the gate but she scoots once in motion its like a freight train, and that 4.6 DOHC has the opportunity to be so much more. I can recommend this car to ANYONE, if your even remotely handy with cars this car is a breeze to work on. Thing to keep in mind, the book values on the car are wrong, parts are a little tough and expensive, gas mileage isn't bad, insurance is cheap, and its fun!

Wife calls it the big boy
By finnman on 08/28/10 20:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Had a 1964 Marauder back years ago had to have another like the car very much has 60,000 on now with not a problem the tires are a pain to buy every 25,000 miles but I put 4 255 55r 18 nexen tires on it the car handles great and wear like iron

Under the Radar
By cred on 04/02/10 19:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The subdued styling, borrowed from the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria allows the Marauder to be a true sleeper. Considering the weight of the Marauder performance is excellent. Handling is predictable, and can be pushed. Tail slide in hard cornering is likely in hard cornering or slick conditions, but the long wheel base and responsive steering allows a driver to push through it. On the entertaining side, when cruising on or slightly above the legally posted speed limit on the interstate, lines of brake lights will pop up and hearts will skip a beat as police cruiser clone pops out of traffic. Very reliable. I replaced a set of shocks, 18 oil changes, k&n air filter & drove it over 95k.

Overall great car to play with
By cmarek on 03/23/10 23:07 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This beastly ride is great! It may not have the initial tire-chirping torque that marks a true muscle car, however it does get up to speed quite quickly and keeps up better with traffic than its crown vic, police interceptor, or grand marquis brethren. Not to mention the leather seats are comfortable and make you feel very relaxed, and the car rides smooth down the highway thanks to the self-leveling air suspension in the back. This car is a real head turner also, even bone stock 'cause it's one you don't see everyday unless you personally own one like me :D. This ride is a great keeper for anyone who is lucky enough to have one.

Great buy and won't sell it!
By Bill Christ on 01/06/10 20:20 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Found my 03 Marauder unsold in dealer's lot September 07 with 170 KM on it. Bought it $20K less than sticker price. Regretted buying but found I never will sell it. Even my wife loves to drive it! Gas mileage is not good, but in third year of ownership, all I worry about is regular maintenance - no problems. I stupidly installed new snow tires on 17" rims -- my Marauder is running at higher RPMs to run the smaller tirees and the traction control must be turned to off after 40 MPG with the smaller 17" tires, but with snows, I go EVERYWHERE in our Minnesota winter -- I love the my Marauder's power, flexibility, and snow travel ability!

One too many repairs
By Neil B. on 11/08/09 19:29 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Cool car, but it's been more than 20 years since I've owned a car that so many things have broken or failed. Most are odd and surprising: lower A arms at 70,000 miles, rear axle seal at 80,000, failure of headlights (needed new Light Control Module at $400 just for the part), rusted lower steering column at 104,000. Also, a number of the interior lights (headlight switch indicator, power window buttons, heated seat buttons) no longer work. Vacuum leak in the vent system disables controls. Now it is in shop, likely needing an $800 fuel pump replacement. I love the car but I've spent $3 or 4 thousand over the last 3 years fixing things that I've never fixed before in any other car I've owned.

Great Car
By jimb on 05/20/08 19:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Second owner, purchased at 17k miles, now have 118K miles. Other than routine maintanance the car has been completely trouble free and very reliable every day driver. Stock power is ok but a few bolt on's and my 115K car and it is faster than 07 Dodge R/T Charger. Generally I get gas pump comments from younger folks looking for a "Wide Body V8's" After all the miles I put on this ride the leather seats are still in allmost new condition. Every button and switch works just like the day a purchased it. Highly recommend this car as used car purchase.

Wow
By Trash on 12/28/07 17:32 PM (PST)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought my dream car. I paid too much, I don't care! The question above, that said " Fun to Drive" says it all. You step on the gas, and it pushes you in to the plush leather seats at 60+, and then you look and it says 100. Wow! The sound of the engine is a low "gurgle" unexpected from such a small V-8. Having driven it less than 1000 miles, I can only say that it handles well, but on a wet road surface it could definitely get away from you. The quiet interior is only interrupted by the mellow exhaust tones as you depress the accelerator. A pleasure to drive, I'm thankful that I'm lucky enough to own one of these modern day muscle cars. This is the direction NASCAR should have gone.

2003 Mercury Marauder
By GH on 08/18/07 12:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought mine new in October 2002. Just broke 39000 miles in August 2007. No real issues. Electrical system can't keep up with electrical load at idle. Reason is Marauder alternator has built in slip clutch, allows more HP at idle and top end. Pop it in neutral and step on emergency brake. Quiet and tight car. Go to Ford and purchase Police Interceptor badge for $10.00, slap it on and see the cars slow down. Car has been looked at by CHP, FHP, local PD, none has ever said take badge off. They ask wat kind of car it is; I show badge, say a Police Interceptor, open hood show engine, they say Oh yeah. Wish it came with Mustang 390 HP engine.

A real peformer
By Robert Hemlak on 08/07/07 11:45 AM (PDT)

2003 Mercury Marauder 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I researched this auto for eight months before purchasing. I agreed with the negative comments about slow acceleration from a complete stop,I also agreed with the poor performence of the "audio" system. I corrected the slow acceleration problem by enlarging the air intake and the exhaust from manifold to tail pipe tips. The standard 3.55 gear ratio was lowered considerably. I addresed the audio problems by replacing the monoral amp.with more power and upsized the factory woofer with a quality larger one.