Used 2009 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Great Car For Tall Drivers
By DavidW9819

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I'm 6'3" and 300 lbs., and most cars made since 2000 are WAY too small to accommodate a man my size. Not so with the 2009 Grand Marquis. I have more headroom and legroom in this car than I'll ever need, although the back seat is a bit cramped. That's not an issue for me, as I rarely have any passengers in the car with me, and if I did odds are they'd be a lot smaller than me and just fine with the rear seat accommodations. I bought this car in 2011 for less than 1/2 the original MSRP and something like 27 K on the odometer because it was a fleet vehicle and the Grand Marquis was slated to go out of production that year. In the four years I've owned this car, the only maintenance costs I've had are a new set of tires and regular oil changes. I wouldn't even had to purchase new tires if the ones that were on the car when I purchased it hadn't dry-rotted. (I live in the West, and the desert sun and heat rots rubber like you wouldn't believe.) The steering column shaft was replaced under recall by the local Ford dealership in April 2015 even though my car is six years old, so kudos to Ford for having the integrity to stand behind its products even though they've discontinued the Mercury nameplate. The only downside of the car are the low (around 11) MPG's, but that's probably because I do mostly city driving and run the A/C (terrific, by the way) 8-9 months of the year. Fortunately, my round trip mileage to work is less than 10 miles, so even with gas currently at $3.15/gallon locally, the low MPG isn't really an issue for me. I'm sure that the fuel economy would probably double if I drove on the interstate more often. The 2009 Grand Marquis is one of two vehicles (the other being the Ford Ranger) that I wish Ford hadn't discontinued. Both are reliable, low maintenance vehicles that will easily go 200,000 miles with proper care. Hey Ford, how about making more vehicles without all the latest gadgets for us old guys?

Worst car I have ever owned!
By besaolli

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

For the past 25 years I have bought nothing but Ford cars; this is my last one! While many of the most important things about this car are good (comfort, handling, reliability, etc.) too many others are awful! The flimsy grill brackets, both visor mirrors, the gear-shift boot, the heavy plastic guard under the bumper . . . all broke or broke off within six months of the warranty ending. In the past several years many other things have mysteriously gone wrong; the headlights only go on if the cars in gear, the "air-conditioner" and heater both only blow HOT air and they blow it whether or not they are turned on! Hot air ALL the time! I'm running out of space so I'll just say "Bye Ford!"

Ride.

Stop selling "luxury" cars that fall apart so easily! You have permanently lost this life long customer (This is not the first Ford problem we've had, but, rest assured, it's the last!). My next car will be a Chrysler or GM product . . . and every one after that!

Terrific Value In A Traditional Car
By hpr2

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned 12 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis sedans since 1989. I came across a 2009 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Collection with just 8.400 miles on June 1, 2011. This car is not only the best full size Ford product I've ever owned, but the BEST car I've ever owned ! Say all you want about being dated, but these cars were a salesman's dream....no failure along the side of the road. Ever. The evolution from 2004 to 2009 was a continued improvement in ride and transmission driveability, shift points, etc. I've just retired and feel set for many years to come. Remember the "special feel of an Oldsmobile" ? As long as I can, I will have the "special feel of a full size Ford product".

4.6 liter V-8 uses virtually no oil Ultimate Edition has great handling Autotemp has performed well in record temps 17" wheels have enhanced ride quality 28 MPG highway at 65 MPH w/ac for 500 miles Not a squeak or rattle...a tribute to Ford St. Thomas, Ontario Assembly closing soon

None...the Panther (full size Ford products) will go down as probably the best vehicles in the 108 years the Ford Motor Company has been in business.

10,000 miles per month
By LimoDriver

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I am a limo driver. We have a fleet of Linc/Mercs/Ford E350 vans and a Rolls Royce Silver Spur. The owner is religious on oil changes and tire rotations on these vehicles. They drive from Pa to JFK, Manhattan, NY, Newark, NJ and etc DAILY. That is 10,000/MONTH/vehicle! They are flawless, reliable, comfy and great mpg on the hwy. City driving isn't as good as hwy. I've driven Gr Marquis in snow storms to JFK to pick-up passengers already. Stop beating these cars up. The trunk space is nearly big enough to haul 1/2 a house! Ford is making a terrible mistake dropping this car in 2011. I am very partial to them and have owned 3 Gr Marq's myself with NO REGRETS!

Driver comfort, rear seat room, ballsy engine, HUGE trunk, great hwy mpg (27 mpg isn't bad to me), low reasonable maintenance, low insurance rates, love the leather arm chair seats.

Put the locking fuel door back on. Ford removed the locking feature and I liked it a lot. Nothing else worth mentioning. OH, KEEP THIS CAR FOR SALE IN THE FORD SHOWROOMS IN THE FUTURE.

Help on gas mileage
By robert crawford

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

it handles well and the overall performance is great except for the gas mileage which is between 14-15 miles per gallon. I average driving about equal city and distant and have also tried high test gas to see if this would improve my mileage but to no avail. please give me so ideas to increase the gas mileage as i have a 1996 ford truck that does this well. thank you