Used 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Great Car
By jim5660

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Most of the reviews on the car are positive. However,if you read the Edmunds review, it sounds like this car belongs in the 19th century. What is the purpose of a car? To get one from point A to point B safely, comfortably, and reasonably economically. The Grand Marquis does all of this very well. I get 27 MPG on the highway and average 23 around town. I drive it conservatively. I'm tired of Edmunds and others running down these cars in favor of more sporty handling vehicles that corner better. What the heck do you need that for? As for interior space, the claim that the Sable is just as big is just not true. The Sable is 6" narrower. Maybe the 'experts' need to reassess a cars purpose.

Wonderful car!!
By sadchevyowner

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My wife and I love her 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis "Palm Beach" edition. We purchased her Grand Marquis 14 months ago. It had 15700 miles. My wife had been driving a 2006 Lexus ES330 that was purchased new. It only had 18000 miles when we sold it. In many ways the Lexus was nice, but it had very uncomfortable seats. The Grand Marquis has exceedingly comfortable seats with lumbar support on both sides. Her Mercury also has the air suspension system and it rides like a dream. We would highly recommend this car. It is really a shame that it is no longer available as a new car, so my advice would be to find a low mileage late model Grand Marquis

Favorite Features

1. Unbelievably comfortable seats. 2. Great Audiophile sound system. 3. Beautiful "Palm Beach" interior. 4. Air suspension system. 5. Great safety systems. 6. Easy to work on and requires minimal maintenance. 7. Large trunk. 8. Plenty of room for six passengers. 9. Good fuel economy. 10. Good acceleration. 11. The car is really good looking, especially with the carriage rear vinyl top.

Suggested Improvements

Our 2008 Grand Marquis is plenty good just the way that it is. It is just a shame that Ford stopped making this vehicle. It really has a very loyal following and we think Ford made a huge mistake in discontinuing Mercury. Luckily, my wife only drives 4000-5000 miles per year, so she expects to drive her Grand Marquis for another ten years.

Gone for a reason
By j_rob82

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I write this tonight as we have just sold our 2008 Grand Marquis LS. It's pillowy ride can lead to car sickness if you drive it on a curvy road. It wallows and bounces up and down like an ocean liner in a bad storm. Speaking of storms, it does horrible in adverse weather and to top it all off, we had a few quality concerns, though the drivetrain has ran flawlessly. Our previous Mercury, a '97 Sable, was the exact opposite experiance. The ride and handling were ballanced well and traction was never a problem. It also seemed to have more leg room which is why we sold the Grand Marquis and are purchasing a 2012 Taurus tomorrow. The quality of the leather alone in the Taurus is 10X that in the G

Favorite Features

Rear wheel drive great for doing burnouts, but other than that, uselsss in everyday driving. I got compliments from a late teens/early 20s black guy expressing his desire to put 24" wheels on it. Not kidding.

Suggested Improvements

Do what they have already done, replace it with the new-design Taurus. The quality is so much better, the fit/finish, the smell and feel of the leather, how hushed the cabin is without any rattles or squeeks. There is a reason the Grand Marquis is out of production, and any one's question to that fact would be answered by a drive in the car that replaced it.

Interior Noise
By L C

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

When my 2008 is upshifting or when it downshifts going up a hill there is loud roar coming from the engine area. Sounds like a fan blade roar. The road noise in the interior is so loud the radio must be turned up to a point that when I stop at a stoplight the sound is extremely too loud. My local dealer and factory rep says the car meets standards. I previously owned a 2002 and was very happy with it, but it was much quieter than my 2008. I am extremely unhappy with Fords lack of response to address this issue. I have driven other 2008 Marquis and all of them have these issues.

New Engine after 3000 Miles
By Jim

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Grand Marquis new it was an 08 left over. I took the car in for an oil change, and a slight knock. after a three day diagnosis, came to find out that the #5 cylinder went bad. Ford approved a new engine to be installed can not find out if in fact a new engine is being installed or if its going to be a rebuild! Tried to get dealer to let me trade into something else, but after owning car for 6 months they said it depreciated $ 8000, so getting new engine, let see what happens!

Favorite Features

Nice comfortable ride

Suggested Improvements

Need to make improvements to Drive Train Componants