Used 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Great Used car Value with decent MPG
By Mark

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Seats 6 (not on long trips however) and averages 23 mpg. Great trunk space. Reliability is one of the best and even beats a lot of Japanese luxury cars as noted by consumer reports and JD Power surveys. Highway cruising is the way it should be. Beats SUV and most crossovers for mileage and mine has traction control for winter driving ( I don't really need 4 wheel drive on paved roads). I bought it used very cheap because no one wants a v8 right now. Great choice for the used car buyer! Everyone thinks it's a geezer car (I'm only 42 and perfect for my family). Radio isn't powerful enough (maybe made for geezers). Pronounced wind noise and steering vibration.

Considering that it hauls up to 6 people (albeit short trips) and all their luggage in a massive trunk, it gets great mileage at between 20 and 25. The price used is unbelieveably low because no one wants a V8 right now which makes it a greatbuy. Reliability has been exceptional throughout the years

Perhaps Ford should look at mating a V6 with this car to improve the mileage. The front seats need to be more supportive. The suspension could be beefier to improve towing from 2000 pounds. Isn't there anyway Ford can make this car look less like grandpa's? How about a convertible or wagon version?

The Grand
By mm

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this 06 LS to replace a V6 Chevy. The Merc has such comfy leather seats, big roomy interior and a huge trunk. This car is so quiet that when I test drove it I thought the engine wasn't even running when I stopped at a red light. On the highway mpg is about 25-28 which is remarkable for a big car. The design is old school but safety played another important role in buying this car as its RWD and full frame instead of unibody. Most people call these granny cars, but I like the style and comfort, plus it gets me where I'm going safely and with my factory chrome-plated rims it shows a bit of flair too.

Big powerful V8, quiet interior, comfy leather seats, factory-chromed wheels, overhead console cd player. I think this car is awesome!

Make the chrome-plated wheels standard on all Grand Marquis

Very Pleased
By Mike

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Convenience 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the car used with 9800 miles showing. Had rented an LS the year before and really liked the car. The only thing I did not like about the rental were the too soft seats. Got a great deal on this GS w leather and like it better than the LS I took to Colorado. It is very manuverable for its size. Its easy to get in and out of and dont believe everything you read in Consumer Reports...I get 27 to 28 mpg on the highway. You drive it like a moron and you'll pay for it at the pump just like any other vehicle. And no, the Chrysler 300 is not a better or roomier vehicle. My car is much quieter, roomier, easier ingress and egress and MUCH better visibility.

Wonderful smooth ride on the highway or in town. Classy looks and huge trunk. No minivan needed or wanted. Kind of makes one wonder why friends and family would rather take my (cop car) Merc instead of their new Mazdas or Toyotas. Comfortable and you don't need a rope to get out of it.

Redesign and upgrade the interior. Cupholders in rear seat in all trim levels. Quality of leather and carpeting is just barely acceptable. The tooling for the car was paid for years ago so there has been a healthy profit margin for sometime. No excuse for letting this good of a car stagnate.

Pretty good so far
By Martin

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Convenience 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This is my first Grand Marquis and I have owned it for 14 months. I primary use it for work and recreational driving on the weekends. I have put on 31,000 miles and it's been pretty reliable so far. I get about 21-22mpg doing both city and highway driving. I think it handles pretty well for such a big car. The traction control came in handy in the snow.

Very comfortable cloth seats and a nice soft ride which is what I wanted. I had a Toyota Camry LE before and it doesn't match it in these respects. I also feel safer since it's a much larger car. I also like the extra power, going from a four cylinder to an eight.

Better cup holders, they are too small and feel flimsy.

This is a Sedan
By mongo

2006 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Convenience 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this model for 15 months and it is still in the "teething" stage because of the low miles. So far, there have not been any major problems with this unit and rather enjoy the road-boat. I can zip-zip thru traffic, room permitting, as if I were in a coupe and not a full-sized sedan. The style is quite nice but rather chintzy on the inside and outside trim. The trunk space is partially taken up by a full-sized spare and think a smaller spare would be adequate. The gas mpg is rather low but will wait for the engine other components to "seat-in" and then see what the mpg will be with more miles on this car.

Even though the engine is on the small size, it still has some zip and like it rather well. The leather-covered seats are nice and the interior lighting is very useful. And, the four-wheel ABS and traction control are very nice features to have.

The seating could be more firmer, better quality of leather covering would be best, the arm-rests need to be improved and made stronger, and the head-lights need to have true high-beam capability rather than brighter standard-beam. The engine could be improved by making it a true small-block V-8.