Used 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Tanklike safety; great handling; very reliable
By topvalueguy

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Got this car used in 2012 with only 24,300 miles on it. Had an older Lexus GS300 prior to this. So far I really like the Panther platform. I have replaced one fuel pump; otherwise, no driveability issues. Electronic Climate Control was out, which I fixed myself with an aftermarket part. Cruise control was out, and is still out; just haven't needed it. Factory CD player died, so replaced with a Pioneer unit. Fake chrome trim pieces were damaged so I replaced with store-bought new ones.

Strong car; safe as a tank; you feel very safe in this car. Handles GREAT for a big car -- 2003's and newer emphasized better handling over cushy ride. Good brakes. Insurance is cheap since parts are cheap and car is safe. Highway gas mileage in the high 20's; takes regular gas. Room to burn; seats 6 people and huge trunk. Everybody knows how to work on it. Parts are cheap and super easy to find.

Common problems: Electronic Climate Control goes out on these cars (mine already has) Lighting control module goes out - Ford should recall them all for this (mine hasn't yet) Some maintenance actions are surprisingly harder than they should be (removing oil filter or changing headlight bulb are both much easier on other cars) Leather seats feel a bit stiff (my son's vinyl seats in his 2001 were much softer) Not at all a soft cushy ride like my son's 2001 (although handles way better, so not an issue for me personally) I don't like the floor heater ducting, compared to my Lexus. In fact, all the air ducting seems more crude (noisier and less precise) than in a Toyota or Lexus.

Love my car
By artg1954

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I just bought this car its a 2004 and only had 53400 for miles. The car looks and drives like new and should it was a one owner bought in Florida and came here to new England in 2010. I have worked with cars all my life and this is one of the best to own.

This has all the options you could have gotten except a moon roof witch I am glad its not in the car. leather, climate control, twin power seats and air suspension all working like new also digital dash.

Heated seats would have been nice but I had a remote start put in.

Great gas mileage
By mcoll1

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Just finished a trip getting as much as 29.9 mpg on a tank of gas. Another tank full got 29.7 mpg. Overall, driving 2600 miles I averaged 27.5 mpg. The vehicle has been very reliable.

True Blue American Icon
By 0rnery

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Full frame, V8 Rear Wheel Drive. The only configuration I'll ever own. Been driving Grand Marquis' and Town Cars for over thirty years, and that will be the same till I die. I work on my own cars and have never purchased new. These cars are rugged, reliable and cheap & easy to fix. That's why police departments, taxi companies and rental agencies chose this platform. Just bought this 2004 Ultimate sixteen months ago with 80K on it, and have not been disappointed. Got a documented 28MPG on a recent 600 mile trip. No doubt it will hold up like all my past FOMOCO cruisers. That means at least 15 more trouble free years in my possession. Batteries, tires and brakes are no "trouble".

This thing's loaded with bells & whistles, and they all work well. Hey, the rear windows roll all the way down, I hear that's rare these days. Plenty of room under the hood. I know that's rare unless you drive a truck. Huge trunk even with the full size spare. Handling is tight for a car this size.

Rides a little stiffer than I like, but some folks will love it. I think our '99 Grand Marquis struck the best balance between smooth ride and taught suspension. 2nd generation ('92-'97) was a little too soft (which ain't bad) and the 4th generation ('03-'11), including this 2004 Ultimate, is a little too stiff. Matter of preference, but that's my take.

Bullet Proof
By Tieden

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Most under appreciated car on the road today. If your looking for a small neo- hippy car or a glitzy peacock vehicle don't look at the merc. but if you need a to hell and back in comfort and reliability you cannot look anywhere else. I do alot of highway driving and at 70 mph+ I average 31-33.5 mpg depending on AC usage. show me any v8 import lux sedan that gets that mpg and then compare price tags and reliability. this platform is something that should never be discontinued its a mark of American quality. I'm 31 and I get asked why I drive an old man car and I respond because old men know quality and don't have time for less.

absolute reliability and comfort all I've had to invest in 70k miles is oil tires and brakes.

color and wheel options this would be a very popular car if Ford offered the color options of its mid size cars. More black than powder sky blue on the road would be nice.