2002 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:
Biggest Waste of Money
By lynn_m on 02/06/14 07:16 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year and a half ago because of the raving reviews on this site. I spent $7,000 for a 2002 with 70,000 miles on it. Now at 100,000 miles I have to put $2,200.00 into the car. The whole front suspension is shot. Upper and Lower Ball Joints Sway Bar Links Idler and Pitman Arms I am very disappointed in my investment. Also that car gets horrible horrible gas mileage. Probably 12 miles to the gallon.

Pleasantly Surprised
By Chappy91 on 11/13/09 11:17 AM (PST)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Ultimate 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I needed a reliable second car for the family and the dealership had this cream-puff on the lot. Garage kept, prestine condition. Have had it two weeks and am enjoying the 45 mile round trip commute to work. Surprisingly great gas milage, I use premium in the tank. Smoother than silk ride, corners like a dream. I definitely feel safe having my family in the car. I forsee many excellent years in this beauty. By the way, this is my first Ford...swore I would never own one...previously only owned Japanese or German...making a believer out of me.

Wish my Dad could have enjoyed this car
By Lennis on 08/21/09 02:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I can't say enough good things about this beautiful car. I bought mine in February 2009 with only 56,000 miles on it and lots of garage time, so it is immaculate. What a pleasure to drive. Mine is the LS with the billboard size digital dashboard readings and all the bells and whistles. Though it is seven years old, everything works perfectly. Never and oil leak or a squeek or a squak. The ride will nearly put ya' to sleep. My worst MPG is 21.6 mpg and my best is 25.8. Nuttin' wrong with that. Love this car, and just wish Daddy could have seen it, as he loved Mercs! This is my first one after owning Dodges, Buicks, Olds, and Pontiacs.

A Real Car
By A Wayne Carnell on 06/12/08 10:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

The rear wheel drive remains appealing to this buyer given the mechanical simplicity of the power train. Proper winter snow tires are essential for driving on snow and ice and where permitted studded tires improve traction immeasurably. I have owned Lincolns through the years and the Marquis is of equal space and ride quality at a significantly lesser price.

AAA Excellent Car
By Frank on 05/04/08 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This car handles like a dream. I don't know where some of the people get off giving it a bad review. I am 43 years old and have driven everything from Beetles to Vettes. This is a great car for the money, runs strong and mileage is fine. Especially for a big car. This car looks and runs great.

Impressive craftsmanship
By Mephisteles on 06/28/07 01:15 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

This beast has given me absolutely no problems since I first purchased it from my uncle. You get what you pay for in this world and this car was worth every penny.

Good Car that Could Be Better
By Roy on 05/23/07 17:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

My experience with FoMoCo products is that they are good ideas poorly executed. My Mercury is a case in point. While perfect for people looking for a traditional RWD sedan that owns the road, this car lacks the solidarity and reliability its predecessors possessed. It handles well for its size in braking, acceleration, and cornering. It also is a good ride on the highway. But don't expect too much from it. The engine has mounds of torque but is noisy when pressed. The engine is a great performer, but you got to go light on the gas unless you (a) can afford speeding tickets and (b) are related to a Saudi prince and have inherited your own private oil well.

Seat Belt Problem
By croke on 11/09/06 12:03 PM (PST)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I like the car in every way. It gets 19 mpg city/hwy. One can only sit on 3/4 of the front seats as the seat belt receptor is solid and sticks up through the seat. It can not be moved. Without that seat belt reception problem, one could sit in the middle of the seat and get support on the right side of the cushion. As it is one sits on the left side support and middle of seat: extremely uncomfortable. It would be ok for a small person, i.e., 100 pounds or less could sit in middle.

room for six
By madman350 on 08/31/06 20:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

dumped 95 sse pontiac for a car that could hold 2 extra people for trips to town etc.,(bucket seats are for college kids- not FAMILY cars) and could never bring myself to buy a top- selling Asian car with no trunk or interior capacity, and front wheel drive durability inconsistencies, and wound up with the only option available that wasn't MEGA- Bucks,foreign, or a glorified station wagon (aka SUV). True more people would look at us if we had 23's, or full-fledge aero kits, flip down DVD's,etc. Oh well, the price you must pay if your wife tilts the scales at 300+, your kids pack enough junk for a weekend trip for a whole summer camp, and you have a lead foot that eats CV joints for breakfast

Cushy gas hog has issues
By Lisa on 07/12/06 00:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LS Premium 4dr Sedan (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We were so excited to get into this buttery ride only to have our Marquis buzz killed when the fuel pump went out at 47,000 miles after only having it a month & one 400 mile trip under our belts. Another surprise was the terrible city mileage, much lower than the stated 17 mpg, around 10 mpg. Highway ok w/25 mpg. As I've seen mentioned I have to agree the lack of a center console leaves one stuffing everything into the paltry pockets given in the front seats or on the floor. So despite the wonderful smooth ride the overall economy leaves me wishing we'd shelled out for a Camry etc. PS.Loaner car during fuel pump was a Sable '05. It was a gas hog also (15mph?!). Ford/Mercury needs to wake up

1 2 3 4 5 next »