Gas Mileage Poor????
By papasmith on
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan
I am not sure if others who are complaining of poor gas mileage have a different engine or what in their GM but, in my case, this car gets excellent gas mileage for its size. On road trips, my GM will get 28MPG and a bit more. This is with around 120k. We have not have the car tuned or anything else to enhance gas mileage. This is no hype or exaggeration. Now, I know that it is listed to give 22MPG Hwy as the official number. That might be true when it is new but, once it is broken in, the MPG shoots up. This is a very comfortable and reliable car for the most part. This why they and Crown Vic are popular as taxis and cop cars.
Favorite Features
Good gas mileage with regular gas. Reliable. Fairly comfortable. Spacious Huge trunk Decent handling Traction control Inexpensive to buy and maintain Good Work Ford!
Suggested Improvements
Better Heater Core Intake Manifold made of metal Make handling a little better. Nothing else because then the price would go up. For the money, you can't beat it.
By billw_willy
on 08/15/12 06:05 AM (PDT)

I got my 99 Grand Marquis at 52k miles, now 77k miles and averaged 27 mpg, high of 31 mpg. I drive mostly hiway 55-65 mph, town 14-19 mpg, original brakes and fluids, change oil and filter at 3k--6k miles. I do not chase redlights, anticipate stops and glide a lot to stops, use cruise in town/highway and try to stay in 4th gear at 35 and then back to 27 mph on cruise, still in 4th gear yet can't hear it downshift. The only issue is a harmonic vibration.

By lesiag
on 10/04/11 17:49 PM (PDT)

Okay, I am going to look at 1999 Grand Marquis LS tomorrow hopefully. Has a little over 80,000 miles on it and Spruce Green with Beige Leather interior. I have been driving a 96 LeSabre. As I like roomy cars, I began a search for this model and the car appears very nice in pictures. I travel to school an hour and a half and am concerned about gas mileage in the V8. So what kind of mileage do you actually get? HOw about driving in the snow? It says there is traction and so I am hoping I could put studded tires on it and go. I have always driven big cars as am a mother of four, grown children now and haven't had a rear wheel drive in a few year though. Hope you can respond and help me out What does it take to fill yours up?