Used 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

Happy owner
By Willard

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Have experienced almost eight years of trouble free operation. Vehicle now has 75000 miles. Fuel mileage for our routine shopping is 20+.

Controls handy and easy

Could use the double/spllit sun vison we had on previous Explorer.

'98 Mercury Grand Marquis
By MercuryFan

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used in 2002 with 75,000 miles. I have since put on almost 100,000 miles with no problems. The engine/transmission on these cars is bulletproof. This is my third Grand Marquis. The two previous cars were an '85 and a '92. Both of them reached 200,000 miles with no engine or transmission problems. I would definitely buy another one.

Reliability, air conditioning, ride, and comfort.

Improve the structural rigidity of the chassis. I have noticed the frame flex on snow/ice conditions. I've noticed this on my '85 and '92 models also.

Tom's Car
By tomtom

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I like driving the car. It's a smooth ride but packs enough power to make a jump off the line. I'm not saying it's a racing car, but for a passanger car it's a nice car overall. I put a 1000W system in it. i got 2 12" p1 subs and a 8" bazooka tube. This is with 4 new speakers and a Sony faceplate. If you're buying this car, you really shouldn't have many improvements in mind. This is a smooth car and great for drives anywhere. I put in a system becuase it's what I love and I'm looking to put on 20" rims if it'll hold them and chrome most of it out.

Size of car overall. Huge trunk for anything you need it for. Enough room in the car to fit 5 very comfortably. I've had 7 in the car and it still wasn't packed.

1998 Grand Marquis
By Jeff

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife with 87k. It is very nice to drive. Smooth and quiet. The best combined MPG to date is 21.72 . Since then I changed out the single exhaust to duals using Walker Quiet Flow mufflers and a Walker H- pipe. Doing this cut almost .6 sec off the quarter mile time. Don't know on the MPG's yet. I can't run the fuel out.LOL.

V-8 power and rear wheel drive. 5 star crash rating. More than enough room.

None. Out of production.

chaddoman's 98 is a definite winner
By chaddoman

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Bought 3 yrs. ago from a good neighbor. New Michelins (white-walled) improved handling significantly from 'average/lacking' to 'very good'. Gas mileage exactly 27 mpg at 75 mph (pleasantly surprising). (I use Mobil- 1 synthetic oil.)Ranges 13 to 16 in town - a little disappointing. Replaced (slight-leaking) right rear axle seal at 48,000 miles during brake change. Otherwise extremely reliable. Very quiet at highway speeds. Very good braking. We'll be buying a new/newer one soon. Also own much less- reliable and highly-expensive (operational and repair), dealer- gouging Infinity Q45. Sure, it's more exciting to drive, BUT, BUT, BUT..! (We'll soon be selling the 'Q' to buy another Marquis-LS.)

Wife loves this car. Huge trunk capacity. High reliability. Anyone, anywhere can repair it - at a reasonable cost. (Unlike many luxury cars; where dealerships are far and few between.)

Adjustable pedals (addressed in later models). Better in-town fuel economy would help. Electronic rear-view mirror. Better sound system availability.