1998 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:
'98 Mercury Grand Marquis
By MercuryFan on 05/27/07 11:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used in 2002 with 75,000 miles. I have since put on almost 100,000 miles with no problems. The engine/transmission on these cars is bulletproof. This is my third Grand Marquis. The two previous cars were an '85 and a '92. Both of them reached 200,000 miles with no engine or transmission problems. I would definitely buy another one.

Tom's Car
By tomtom on 04/11/07 09:31 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I like driving the car. It's a smooth ride but packs enough power to make a jump off the line. I'm not saying it's a racing car, but for a passanger car it's a nice car overall. I put a 1000W system in it. i got 2 12" p1 subs and a 8" bazooka tube. This is with 4 new speakers and a Sony faceplate. If you're buying this car, you really shouldn't have many improvements in mind. This is a smooth car and great for drives anywhere. I put in a system becuase it's what I love and I'm looking to put on 20" rims if it'll hold them and chrome most of it out.

1998 Grand Marquis
By Jeff on 03/25/06 03:09 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for my wife with 87k. It is very nice to drive. Smooth and quiet. The best combined MPG to date is 21.72 . Since then I changed out the single exhaust to duals using Walker Quiet Flow mufflers and a Walker H- pipe. Doing this cut almost .6 sec off the quarter mile time. Don't know on the MPG's yet. I can't run the fuel out.LOL.

chaddoman's 98 is a definite winner
By chaddoman on 03/06/06 09:17 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

Bought 3 yrs. ago from a good neighbor. New Michelins (white-walled) improved handling significantly from 'average/lacking' to 'very good'. Gas mileage exactly 27 mpg at 75 mph (pleasantly surprising). (I use Mobil- 1 synthetic oil.)Ranges 13 to 16 in town - a little disappointing. Replaced (slight-leaking) right rear axle seal at 48,000 miles during brake change. Otherwise extremely reliable. Very quiet at highway speeds. Very good braking. We'll be buying a new/newer one soon. Also own much less- reliable and highly-expensive (operational and repair), dealer- gouging Infinity Q45. Sure, it's more exciting to drive, BUT, BUT, BUT..! (We'll soon be selling the 'Q' to buy another Marquis-LS.)

great car
By Rick Sowder on 01/18/06 10:33 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car just to have an extra car around for family transportation emergencys with over 100k miles, it has become our extended family's favorite vehicle,great car,great value.

I Love My Grand Marquis
By Happy Owner on 11/15/05 02:23 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I have always owned American cars, so I can not compare the quality and value of this car to a foreign one. Having said that, I can't imagine any other car offering the quality and value this car has. I have put 67,000 miles on my car in just under 4 years (it now has 135,000) and it runs just as strong as a new one. I have only used premium fuel in my car and consistently average 25 miles per gallon in combined driving. I am very happy with my car.

BEST AMERICAN car you can buy!
By John on 09/23/05 14:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car in Jan, Wanted a Crown Vic. but couldn't find any.. No-one was selling them.. Settled for this.. basically the same car.. More Luxury than I Needed. but that's just another plus to this car.. Got it with 39,000 miles on it. had it for almost 10 months. and now have 54,000 on it.. I've own Foreign Honda's, volkswagons, Mitshubshi's. Nothing compares to this car.. its just built to LAST. i can tell. I beat on this car. and it takes anything i can give it.. And the Gas mileage isnt bad either for a 3800 pound car.. 21.5 mpg on average! If you're thinking about one. BUY IT! dont hesitate. there aren't many of them left! enjoy them while you still can..

Great Car
By tp on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

This is the most comfortable, dependable car we've ever owned.

Merc Marc
By Elnino on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Headlamp lens were coroded inside lens,both front lamps. Dealer replaced, N/C. aLSO left rear door window was faulty, would go down using drivers door wdw.operation,but would not go back up. Dealer replaced door switch.N/C. Vehicle does not drive as smooth as I thought it should. Although I had a complete inspection of car by an independent mechanic, checked out 100% satisfactory. In town mileage 18.6 mpg.

Super Car
By Mikester on 04/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I love this Car! I installed a K&N Performance air filter, adds dramatic low end acceleration and helps gas mileage. Very well built car Made in America!