Used 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

98 Grand Marquis
By george49024

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $2000 with 86,000 miles on it. Great car. At about 118k the plastic intake got a crack in it causing the engine to quickly over heat and warp the heads. This is a problem with these motors. You can look it up on the net. The same motors are found in the Crown Vics and the 8cy mustangs. I replaced the motor with another one with about 118k on it which I replaced with a after market intake manifold made out of aluminum instead of plastic. It ran until about 136k it was totaled in a 5 car highway accident during a ice storm. I took kidding about it being a "grandpa" car but I loved the car. Would buy again but replace the intake manifold. Best 2 grand ever spent.

Favorite Features

1. comfortable driving. 2. Leather seats. 3. Safety 4. felt like luxury 5. Low cost for a quality car.

Suggested Improvements

1. Replace plastic intake manifold, otherwise the 4.6L was a built like a rock. 2. Make it front wheel or all wheel drive.

A great car to take to work
By Jon

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan GS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to take to work (90 miles a day), to tow with, and to lug family and friends in. Also to stop putting so many miles on my baby, my Mustang. As far as performance, I'm used to the power of my GT, though the power is nothing like my Mustang, it's very powerful for what it is. A full sized sedan. I have only one problem with the car, and that's the interior. Only two cup holders (The car can seat 6 people). Also the front arm wrests should have storage, along with the back arm wrests (If the car had rear arm wrests). Oh, and the car needs a posi so both rear wheels spin. As far as mileage, I get 25-28 hwy, 20-23 city. It burns no oil with 105,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

The brute size of the car, rear wheel drive v8, auto head lights, full body frame for easy tailor hitch installation, extremely smooth steering, and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Car needs a posi rear end, front/rear center console, cup holders that don't block the gauges, and a 6 speed trans. However, it doesn't matter what I suggest; this car's been discontinued.

Built to last
By Tony

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 85,000. I use it for commuting back and forth to work, approximately 25 miles each way. I now have 118000 miles on it and I can honestly say it is the most comfortable, best handling and quite car I have ever owned. Mileage is around 22 mpg in mixed traffic. Very adaquate power and have had no mechanical problems beyond normal wear. I know this has the old man stigma but for the price this is the best car you can buy.

Favorite Features

Comfortable and quite ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better city mpg beyond that nothing.

Gulf Coast Edition
By stgcret

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Historically, I have been a Lincoln TC man, but this Grand Marquis was so nice...! It looked like any car only a year or two new. 99% of the buttons in the interior looked as though they had never been pushed. Yes a 78 year old lady had owned it since new and had always garaged it and never smoked in. I bought it for my wife and she loves it (it's red, LOL). Had to restuff the driver seat cushion & put shocks around. In another 1500 mi,Castrol Syntec Oil will get put in. Great for 11 years old. No odd noises, doesn't smoke or rattle & everything works. Have all books and records also,and something you never seem to get...2 keys and 2 remotes. Might install a oem cd player. Nice

Favorite Features

door keypad and remote garage door opener. Considering the size of the car the gas mileage is pretty good.

Suggested Improvements

Little larger front seats with armrest storage compartment.

Momma Luvs her Marquis
By stgcret

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Drove by the dealership (closed). Real nice Gulf Coast Edition, Red Toredor with Gray Leather. Looked brand new inside/out. Have owned 14 Lincolns but this one my wife really liked, so I bought it for $5400. Hard to say anything bad about an 11 year old car that still shines like new in/out. Had all books/records and owned by a 78 yo Lady. Looks like it never left a garage. Drives very close to a Lincoln Towncar.

Favorite Features

Leather, quiet and roomy.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked armrests that open like in the Lincoln. I may install a CD player. Beautiful design. 1998 was the 1st year of this design change.