Used 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:

A "new" used car
By ed

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I got this car for $800 with about 135K miles. I put on about 12K issue free miles already, my neighbor has a brand new car in that timeframe, and it spent considerable time in the dealer, including fuel pump issues leaving him stranded. He said when its time to sell a used Panther is in his future. I am handy with cars and replaced some things, maybe more than I had to. I changed all belts and hoses, but honestly the originals were still very good. The intake manifold MUST be inspected and replaced if original. If there is a plastic tube behind the alternator just swap it. It causes everything from misfires to engine failure. It could be a DIY job, plenty of good tutorials. Pull the coil plug closest to the thermostat to check for leaks. Ball Joints wear at high mileage too. Electronics on this car are very reliable. I did a fluid and filter change on the trans, it shifts like new. This car easily has another 100+K miles left, millions of cabs have proven that. Just a matter of holding on to an older car. Handling is a bit boaty(but controlled) but improved somewhat with KYB gas adjust shocks. Mine does not have the sport/handling package, those have dual exhaust, stiffer suspension parts, bushings, etc, air suspension(which isn't expensive to service on these cars) and distinctive wheels. 2.71 gears give it 22mpg combined. I do have lots of nice features like a digital dash, cruise, auto dim mirror and power everything. I installed heated seats. These cars (pre 03) can't have a double din radio unless you replace the duct with an 03+ one. I wanted a newer panther but the price was too good to pass up. I'm very satisfied, and was close to leasing something that would have set me back thousands in this timeframe. Check the frame for major rust too, it likes to rust out under the air conditioner dryer on the passenger side. I put some fluid film there so there won't be an issue.

98 Grand Marquis
By george49024

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $2000 with 86,000 miles on it. Great car. At about 118k the plastic intake got a crack in it causing the engine to quickly over heat and warp the heads. This is a problem with these motors. You can look it up on the net. The same motors are found in the Crown Vics and the 8cy mustangs. I replaced the motor with another one with about 118k on it which I replaced with a after market intake manifold made out of aluminum instead of plastic. It ran until about 136k it was totaled in a 5 car highway accident during a ice storm. I took kidding about it being a "grandpa" car but I loved the car. Would buy again but replace the intake manifold. Best 2 grand ever spent.

1. comfortable driving. 2. Leather seats. 3. Safety 4. felt like luxury 5. Low cost for a quality car.

1. Replace plastic intake manifold, otherwise the 4.6L was a built like a rock. 2. Make it front wheel or all wheel drive.

A great car to take to work
By Jon

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to take to work (90 miles a day), to tow with, and to lug family and friends in. Also to stop putting so many miles on my baby, my Mustang. As far as performance, I'm used to the power of my GT, though the power is nothing like my Mustang, it's very powerful for what it is. A full sized sedan. I have only one problem with the car, and that's the interior. Only two cup holders (The car can seat 6 people). Also the front arm wrests should have storage, along with the back arm wrests (If the car had rear arm wrests). Oh, and the car needs a posi so both rear wheels spin. As far as mileage, I get 25-28 hwy, 20-23 city. It burns no oil with 105,000 miles on it.

The brute size of the car, rear wheel drive v8, auto head lights, full body frame for easy tailor hitch installation, extremely smooth steering, and smooth ride.

Car needs a posi rear end, front/rear center console, cup holders that don't block the gauges, and a 6 speed trans. However, it doesn't matter what I suggest; this car's been discontinued.

Built to last
By Tony

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 85,000. I use it for commuting back and forth to work, approximately 25 miles each way. I now have 118000 miles on it and I can honestly say it is the most comfortable, best handling and quite car I have ever owned. Mileage is around 22 mpg in mixed traffic. Very adaquate power and have had no mechanical problems beyond normal wear. I know this has the old man stigma but for the price this is the best car you can buy.

Comfortable and quite ride.

Better city mpg beyond that nothing.

Gulf Coast Edition
By stgcret

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Historically, I have been a Lincoln TC man, but this Grand Marquis was so nice...! It looked like any car only a year or two new. 99% of the buttons in the interior looked as though they had never been pushed. Yes a 78 year old lady had owned it since new and had always garaged it and never smoked in. I bought it for my wife and she loves it (it's red, LOL). Had to restuff the driver seat cushion & put shocks around. In another 1500 mi,Castrol Syntec Oil will get put in. Great for 11 years old. No odd noises, doesn't smoke or rattle & everything works. Have all books and records also,and something you never seem to get...2 keys and 2 remotes. Might install a oem cd player. Nice

door keypad and remote garage door opener. Considering the size of the car the gas mileage is pretty good.

Little larger front seats with armrest storage compartment.