1998 Mercury Grand Marquis - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Marquis model:
98 Grand Marquis
By george49024 on 07/27/13 08:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car for $2000 with 86,000 miles on it. Great car. At about 118k the plastic intake got a crack in it causing the engine to quickly over heat and warp the heads. This is a problem with these motors. You can look it up on the net. The same motors are found in the Crown Vics and the 8cy mustangs. I replaced the motor with another one with about 118k on it which I replaced with a after market intake manifold made out of aluminum instead of plastic. It ran until about 136k it was totaled in a 5 car highway accident during a ice storm. I took kidding about it being a "grandpa" car but I loved the car. Would buy again but replace the intake manifold. Best 2 grand ever spent.

A great car to take to work
By Jon on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car to take to work (90 miles a day), to tow with, and to lug family and friends in. Also to stop putting so many miles on my baby, my Mustang. As far as performance, I'm used to the power of my GT, though the power is nothing like my Mustang, it's very powerful for what it is. A full sized sedan. I have only one problem with the car, and that's the interior. Only two cup holders (The car can seat 6 people). Also the front arm wrests should have storage, along with the back arm wrests (If the car had rear arm wrests). Oh, and the car needs a posi so both rear wheels spin. As far as mileage, I get 25-28 hwy, 20-23 city. It burns no oil with 105,000 miles on it.

Built to last
By Tony on 02/23/10 17:45 PM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 85,000. I use it for commuting back and forth to work, approximately 25 miles each way. I now have 118000 miles on it and I can honestly say it is the most comfortable, best handling and quite car I have ever owned. Mileage is around 22 mpg in mixed traffic. Very adaquate power and have had no mechanical problems beyond normal wear. I know this has the old man stigma but for the price this is the best car you can buy.

Gulf Coast Edition
By stgcret on 08/30/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Historically, I have been a Lincoln TC man, but this Grand Marquis was so nice...! It looked like any car only a year or two new. 99% of the buttons in the interior looked as though they had never been pushed. Yes a 78 year old lady had owned it since new and had always garaged it and never smoked in. I bought it for my wife and she loves it (it's red, LOL). Had to restuff the driver seat cushion & put shocks around. In another 1500 mi,Castrol Syntec Oil will get put in. Great for 11 years old. No odd noises, doesn't smoke or rattle & everything works. Have all books and records also,and something you never seem to get...2 keys and 2 remotes. Might install a oem cd player. Nice

Momma Luvs her Marquis
By stgcret on 07/11/09 08:56 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Drove by the dealership (closed). Real nice Gulf Coast Edition, Red Toredor with Gray Leather. Looked brand new inside/out. Have owned 14 Lincolns but this one my wife really liked, so I bought it for $5400. Hard to say anything bad about an 11 year old car that still shines like new in/out. Had all books/records and owned by a 78 yo Lady. Looks like it never left a garage. Drives very close to a Lincoln Towncar.

Love "Da" Power
By Power Punch on 04/28/09 21:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I"ve had my Marquis for a month now. I travel everyday from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale up I 95, I don't suffer from back aches anymore. I use to drive a Kia Sportage. Thought I was saving Gas money, with the G-Marquis I have not notice any difference in spending.I consume the same 1/2 of 1/4 tank, same as with the Kia. Love the power and sense of safety. What a car, if I change it, it will be for a recent model. No more tojo's for me American all the way.

After the hard work, a smooth ride home
By AJ on 10/18/08 16:52 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

I bought a second-hand car after graduation for office commuting. I grew up playing with Matchbox cars and I never imagined I would be driving a rear wheel drive large American sedan one day. Nearly three years and 28,000 miles later, I am still in love with my car. Aside from regular maintenance and a few niggles (door rattle), it has not cost me anything to maintain. I fill it, shut it, and forget it. My friends and relatives were apprehensive when I chose it over a fuel efficient Japanese car, but now all of them enjoy riding in it. The car is very reliable. It is also fun to drive. Considering its size, it maintains traction in high-speed turns and it is nimble while parking

Bought mine new -now have 145,000 miles
By tim on 04/28/08 18:10 PM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Mine has been a great vehicle. The original Eagle GT tires were very rough ride when they got some miles on them . Went to Goodyear assurance tires and improved the ride tremendously. The early depreciation has been made up by the longevity. Also, change transmission fluid and clean fuel system if yours becomes sluggish.

My 98 Merc. Marquis
By Paul Neuman on 01/02/08 10:48 AM (PST)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4dr Sedan

This is an all white car very comfortable to drive and ride in. No collision history with the exception of a wrinkled left edge of the bumper which caught on the edge of the garage door while exiting. The bumper was replaced. The car has 101,000 miles on the odometer. It is on its second set of tires which are about ready to be replaced and probably will need new brakes within the next 5000 miles. Out side of these two items the car is in excellent condition. The interior is blue fabric. The car does not require additional oil between changes.

Happy owner
By Willard on 07/02/07 11:10 AM (PDT)

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 4dr Sedan

Have experienced almost eight years of trouble free operation. Vehicle now has 75000 miles. Fuel mileage for our routine shopping is 20+.